1/48 Swordfish II from Cowboy Bebop by GoodSmile

slide

So just got home after picking it up.

First impressions: looks good, the weathering is quite well done. It's not a gunk wash, or the painted on stuff they sometimes use on eaglemoss kits, it's the very even and the same finish as the rest of the Swordfish.

You can tell from the weight and feel that it's plastic with diecast pieces (landing gear, the various hinges which are nice and sturdy, and also fairly stiff) and not a diecast figure with plastic.

It has all the various articulations

• engine pod pivots up
  • thrust reversers close
  • wingtip stabilizers will pivot
  • wings fold up into storage position
  • landing gear has zero parts-swapping, it all folds up inside and will stay extended without issue
  • ball cockpit will even tilt, however it can only do this while the landing gear is out
  • gun will swing left/right, pretty much 360 (though the wing stabs will get in the way unless they're folded up)
  • bottom fin under the engine pivots to the side for ground clearance.

Lighting looks good, initially thought my engine light didn't work, but you need to press the nozzle to turn it on, only the lights are always on. Battery compartment is easy to get to, and the switch is inside there.

Getting the cockpit open to put the ball inside was a bit hard, the slide for the hinge is SUPER stiff. Likewise getting the gun attached took a bit of pressure, as did folding the wings. Also unfolding the rear landing gear was quite stiff, as were the thrust reversers.

All in all, it looks great. Definitely not a low-cost masterpiece like the DX VF-1 though.

[edit] I have some pictures, but I get error -200 when I upload them, I'll put them up once I've hosted elsewhere.

Edited by Sanity is Optional