Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship, BSG & other starships Collection

Sandman

I've been watching the release announcements, and did manage to pick up a few of the pieces that I missed originally.  Mostly a couple of the XL shuttles, Stargate ships, and BSG releases.

They're nice collectibles, but I just had too many gripes with most of the XL starships to pick them up, and the ones that were good would have felt silly unaccompanied by something to match them (ie, the Reliant was beautiful, but they managed to screw up the Enterprise Refit in so many unbelievable ways that I couldn't bring myself to buy it).  I never understood how they managed to make the panel detailing on so many of the ships look like they were run over by tractor tires (the XL Akira and Prometheus, in particular).  Part of me would like to still get the "All Good Things" Enterprise D, but they half-assed the phaser cannon, and it made the whole thing look cheap.

The smaller ships they released always seemed to come out much better by comparison, like the BSG fighters, and I picked up an XL Runabout and Delta Flyer, and really have no complaints on those.

The one I did make a point to grab was the XL Discovery Enterprise, mostly because of the size.  It's close enough to the length of the Polar Lights 1/1000 TOS Enterprise that I'm comfortable calling it 1/1000, because screw whatever noise the higher ups are smoking with the new scaling. :rolleyes: 

On 9/28/2023 at 7:47 PM, Mommar said:

I missed out on the USS Grissom when it was put back up for a short time.  Otherwise I'm done with that collection.  I have my little nerdy Starship wall over my turntables and I'm happy with that.

Not the Grissom, but they do have the XL Pegasus back in stock, if you're just after an Oberth.

• 8 months later...

Apologies for the zombie resurrection, but just received an interesting email from Master Replicas.  They are running out the remaining stock of their Trek ships, but it looks like they are planning to continue some of the other franchises they've picked up, and look to be expanding in the future.

ss(2024-06-11at02_27.46).jpg.2a96188866539406cefe924f52f96b06.jpg

Happy to see they are continuing the BSG line, and expanding more on the Stargate products, but the last section has me intrigued.

"Ships from one of the greatest games ever made" has me incredibly curious, because it's such a broad subject to cover, and I have no idea what genre they might even be talking about.  Given the recent sequel, I could easily see them making some Homeworld ships, but I would be absolutely over the moon to see anything from something like the Wing Commander or Freespace franchises.  There are probably a lot of other options in arcade shooters as well, but I can't say those sorts of franchises would fit the sort of "collection" format they tend to focus on.

The "classic sci-fi TV series" could also be any number of things, but I'm crossing my fingers for Babylon 5.  The wild variety of designs from that show would make it easy to build a collection from.  I'm kind of struggling to come up with more candidates than that though, outside of maybe a ship or two from Buck Rogers.  I know there are a lot more series they could pull from (Space Above and Beyond, maybe?), but I don't know of a lot of really popular ones with more than one or two ship designs they could market.

I'll need to expand my display space if they start making too many more classics though.  :lol: 

13 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

"Ships from one of the greatest games ever made" has me incredibly curious, because it's such a broad subject to cover, and I have no idea what genre they might even be talking about. 

Asteroids. Definitely Asteroids.

16 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

"Ships from one of the greatest games ever made" has me incredibly curious, because it's such a broad subject to cover, and I have no idea what genre they might even be talking about.  Given the recent sequel, I could easily see them making some Homeworld ships, but I would be absolutely over the moon to see anything from something like the Wing Commander or Freespace franchises.  There are probably a lot of other options in arcade shooters as well, but I can't say those sorts of franchises would fit the sort of "collection" format they tend to focus on.

The "classic sci-fi TV series" could also be any number of things, but I'm crossing my fingers for Babylon 5.  The wild variety of designs from that show would make it easy to build a collection from.  I'm kind of struggling to come up with more candidates than that though, outside of maybe a ship or two from Buck Rogers.  I know there are a lot more series they could pull from (Space Above and Beyond, maybe?), but I don't know of a lot of really popular ones with more than one or two ship designs they could market.

I'll need to expand my display space if they start making too many more classics though.  :lol: 

Freespace would be crazy for me but I doubt it has the audience to make bean counters happy. My money would be on Halo or Mass Effect.

I think there's a much higher chance you're right about B5, but I still worry about the popularity and the fact that the franchise seems a little cursed at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.fanhome.com/us/movie-series/star-trek-starships?utm_rsys_campaignID=773948&utm_source=rsys_FHUS-leads-notify-me&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=YJF440_Star-Trek-Starships-1st-email_FHUS&utm_content=img

I understand their logic but this isn't the way to make money.  I want the old ships done perfect, not any of the new stuff.  Better detail/paint/sculpt and strsight nacelles/saucers etc would get me to rebuy most of the eaglemoss ships.  But I don't want the modern junk at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought they were marketing them as individual XL-sized models, but I'd have to look again.  Agreed that the designs don't interest me though.

What I'd really like to see is them actually put a quarter-ass's worth of effort into an Enterprise refit.  I never picked up the Eaglemoss ones because they were so terribly done.

As much as I would love to pick up that Tomy Refit, I'm just afraid of disappointment, and finding space to put it. :p  I've already got the build-a-ship TNG Enterprise kits clogging up closet space, and I'm entirely unsure of how to even start that monstrosity.

The engineer in me wants to break out that whole kit, pull out all of the painted exterior panels from it, and then toss the entire internal framework and lighting kit in my spare parts bin, and go to work designing a completely new internal support structure and lightning system that would actually approach making half a lick of sense.  It's just so obnoxiously engineered and nonsensical the way they built it.

On the other hand, the practical side of me wants to just finish collecting the kits, never open any of them, and then sell the whole thing off once the prices climb, and spend some of the money to hunt down the Aoshima release.