Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

23 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

-snipe-

But in terms of the entirety of "DX" VF-1's produced as a category...I'd say the current Bandai DX is a direct successor to the Yamato VF-1....and it's not even that giant of a leap forward IMO....

As a consumer this might be, but as a manufacturer you have a completely different approach to a product! I'm in product development myself, and really never care much about what other companies have developed or might come out with. We also have the Ferrari license to produce in 1/8 scale which other companies will not touch...

We are the industry standard in that scale, and don't look much at other manufactures that came previously!

As for the differences in 1/48 from Yamato to Bandai, the quality is quite different although from the outside they might look the same! Sure Bandai has disappointed us in more ways then one with the series but it is still the best out there in my opinion at that scale. 

Edited by grogall

1 hour ago, grogall said:

As a consumer this might be, but as a manufacturer you have a completely different approach to a product! I'm in product development myself, and really never care much about what other companies have developed or might come out with. We also have the Ferrari license to produce in 1/8 scale which other companies will not touch...

We are the industry standard in that scale, and don't look much at other manufactures that came previously!

As for the differences in 1/48 from Yamato to Bandai, the quality is quite different although from the outside they might look the same! Sure Bandai has disappointed us in more ways then one with the series but it is still the best out there in my opinion at that scale. 

I can see many companies failing with this approach....you can't just dismiss the competition, especially if they have a better product....perhaps your company is at the top of their niche so maybe you are looking down at the competition most of the time, but I am sure someone in your company still is 'looking' nonetheless to avoid getting surprised and outdone.... 

As for the direct successor, I was referring to the 1/60 Yamato VF-1 not the 1/48 Yamato VF-1 (which is technically further back in the 'DX' chain of VF-1 evolution)....and yes, the Bandai DX is better at the moment, but not by as much as one would expect after 10+ years of the Yamato V2's introduction)...again, irrelevant of scale

7 hours ago, herkulease said:

A dartboard would imply there's at a bare minimum some thought put into it. That is they at least picked out something to put on the board.

It feels more like some went "Oh i had a dream about this VF last night" lets make it that.

I feel like there has to be drugs or a very young toddler with a short attention span that's a part of this decision making process too. How else do they dredge out every possible canon and non-canon YF-29 design possible, so much so that they even re-issue the non-canon 30th anniversary Roy scheme (have they ever re-issued a non-canon scheme before this?), but seemingly get bored in the middle of releasing their VF-31 lineup or their 1/48 VF-1 lineup? I could see the WWM stuff causing their interest in the VF-1 line to cool, but they can export all the VF-31 toys they want overseas.

5 hours ago, grogall said:

Hasn't Mr. K done work for both Bandai and Yamato/Arcadia at this point? Or am I misremembering something I read here years ago?

On 7/16/2024 at 9:05 PM, MikeRoz said:

I feel like there has to be drugs or a very young toddler with a short attention span that's a part of this decision making process too.

Let's go with a toddler who's drunk from warm milk is making the decisions. 😆

6 minutes ago, Duymon said:

Who knew Yamato fastpack stickers fit dx fast packs perfectly? 20240726_113116_HDR-edit-20240726113208.jpg.2c8b3113c585ad7f15219586a8656224.jpg

Interesting note, but I'm curious what it's useful for. :lol:  Maybe if they printed them off center?

I'm still debating what to do with the piles of extra Skull roundels my fast pack sets came from.  Since each set comes with every member, I've got a good dozen spares I could decorate in custom markings.

On that note, where's my DYRL CF, Bandai? :p 

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Interesting note, but I'm curious what it's useful for. :lol:  Maybe if they printed them off center?

I'm still debating what to do with the piles of extra Skull roundels my fast pack sets came from.  Since each set comes with every member, I've got a good dozen spares I could decorate in custom markings.

On that note, where's my DYRL CF, Bandai? :p 

It's good for people who want to use DYRL packs non skull squadron valks because they want the option of the non Canon Strike variants such as the Strike VF-1D from the 80's model art. Also for people who lack Tv packs because they got screwed by NY like me who never got my 3 tv packs :(

TEMP_20240726_191522_HDR-edit-20240726191620.jpg.81a68b5b1424bf946c6dd91fd7b0716c.jpg

Just gotta sacrifice one set of badges on your strike packs because yamatos stickers are slightly see thru so you'll need to erase the old badge with some thinner. 

Edited by Duymon

4 minutes ago, Duymon said:

It's good for people who want to use DYRL packs non skull squadron valks because they want the option of the non Canon Strike variants such as the Strike VF-1D from the 80's model art. Also for people who lack Tv packs because they got screwed by NY like me who never got my 3 tv packs :(

TEMP_20240726_191522_HDR-edit-20240726191620.jpg.81a68b5b1424bf946c6dd91fd7b0716c.jpg

Just gotta sacrifice one set of badges on your strike packs because yamatos stickers are slightly see thru so you'll need to erase the old badge with some thinner. 

What a VF-1D strike Valkerie, I never... 🤗

image.jpeg.a3479e7fd6dc7f2b5b6c49a1802bd03c.jpeg

11 hours ago, Duymon said:

Ahh, oof, yeah, that does hurt to get stiffed on the order.  I didn't realize those were DYRL packs to start with.

The color match for the kite looks really close though, glad the old stickers fit!  Fortunately the strike sets come with so many spares we can afford to repaint a few.

• 3 weeks later...

Random maintenance tip, for those of you who might want to tweak things.

I noticed the wing hinges on one of mine were feeling whimpy, and decided to try and tighten them up.  Unfortunately.. Bandai can't make anything simple, and of course I had to disassemble the entire thing to get to the wing hinges. :rolleyes:

So, unlike most of the other VF-1s I've ever owned, while the DX does have a screw through the wing hinge-post, it does not in fact have any bearing on the tightness of the wing.  No, it's a solid post that goes entirely through the wing, and the wing depends on a friction ring around that post to give it any tension.  I hate Bandai's engineering methodology with more of a burning passion every time I try to adjust something they've designed.

So instead of tightening the screw, I took apart the entire backplate, and slipped a piece of cellophane tape around the posts under those friction rings.  Tightened the wings up nicely for the moment, but who knows if that'll have any staying power over time, since we all know how completely useless all of their joints tend to become sitting in the box. <_< 

Edited by Chronocidal

19 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Random maintenance tip, for those of you who might want to tweak things.

I noticed the wing hinges on one of mine were feeling whimpy, and decided to try and tighten them up.  Unfortunately.. Bandai can't make anything simple, and of course I had to disassemble the entire thing to get to the wing hinges. :rolleyes:

So, unlike most of the other VF-1s I've ever owned, while the DX does have a screw through the wing hinge-post, it does not in fact have any bearing on the tightness of the wing.  No, it's a solid post that goes entirely through the wing, and the wing depends on a friction ring around that post to give it any tension.  I hate Bandai's engineering methodology with more of a burning passion every time I try to adjust something they've designed.

So instead of tightening the screw, I took apart the entire backplate, and slipped a piece of cellophane tape around the posts under those friction rings.  Tightened the wings up nicely for the moment, but who knows if that'll have any staying power over time, since we all know how completely useless all of their joints tend to become sitting in the box. <_< 

That sounds like a lot of fun /s

I'm still kinda miffed Bandai didn't add Detents like Yamato did over 20 years ago :D 

To be fair, the DX VF-1 probably is the easiest time I've had actually disassembling any of Bandai's valks thus far (ignoring the legs of course, which are just a mass of glued parts).  The backplate comes apart with five screws, and everything's pretty easy to access, letting you pull off the wings, shoulder tabs, and the entire backpack assembly, and giving you pretty good access to the arm sliders and head.

It's the one time the removable leg gimmick has actually been useful to me. :lol: 

33 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

The actual backpack disassembly isn't something I tried, I was just able to remove the whole thing from the backplate.  Unfortunately, I think the entire thing is another glue sandwich.

That's me then.

Glue.png.9a3122c3b6131546fc6a1f62852cbf9b.png

36 minutes ago, Zeliard said:

Any idea how to strengthen the lower flexion hip joint?

Ooof.  I've got two or three with this same issue to varying degrees.  Root of the problem is that something isn't right with the inner tooth that is supposed to be catching on the ridges of the extension, and providing the ratcheting clicks.

One of my VT-1s came like this out of the box (though not to that extent, mine is loose, but won't fall on its own), and one of my VF-1Js is in that state after taking a 5-foot dive off of a bookshelf from the earthquake a few years back.

Unfortunately, due to Bandai's obsession with glue, we are pretty much SOL on a way to repair this sort of problem.  I wish there was a way to get to it, but I tried with absolutely no luck to get into that joint on my VT-1.  The lower leg is a giant glue sandwich, and you won't be able to access the upper joint without destroying it.  The joint in question is sandwiched between the halves of the lower leg, which doesn't even have any visible screw covers to drill out if we wanted to.  It really just sucks.

I'm not actually sure what surface of the hip joint is being bitten into for the ratcheting action, but maybe adding a layer of plastic or glue or tape or something might build it up enough to engage the teeth?  I really don't know.  I wouldn't recommend trying anything that might damage the leg, but testing it with something like masking tape might be safe enough.

Just now, Chronocidal said:

Ooof.  I've got two or three with this same issue to varying degrees.  Root of the problem is that something isn't right with the inner tooth that is supposed to be catching on the ridges of the extension, and providing the ratcheting clicks.

One of my VT-1s came like this out of the box (though not to that extent, mine is loose, but won't fall on its own), and one of my VF-1Js is in that state after taking a 5-foot dive off of a bookshelf from the earthquake a few years back.

Unfortunately, due to Bandai's obsession with glue, we are pretty much SOL on a way to repair this sort of problem.  I wish there was a way to get to it, but I tried with absolutely no luck to get into that joint on my VT-1.  The lower leg is a giant glue sandwich, and you won't be able to access the upper joint without destroying it.  The joint in question is sandwiched between the halves of the lower leg, which doesn't even have any visible screw covers to drill out if we wanted to.  It really just sucks.

I'm not actually sure what surface of the hip joint is being bitten into for the ratcheting action, but maybe adding a layer of plastic or glue or tape or something might build it up enough to engage the teeth?  I really don't know.  I wouldn't recommend trying anything that might damage the leg, but testing it with something like masking tape might be safe enough.

Thanks for the help. I get the general idea what's going on now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bandai has been hitting it out of the park lately. first the amazing YF-21 with no reported issues, the VT-1 with the tight crisp non saggy tabs for the arms and legs that lock in perfectly, and flexible and adjustable radar fins and strong vertical stabilizers.

now they have included missiles and new markings on the stand! just amazing. bandai always values early adopters and protect their loyal fans from cheap profit double dipping.  

The color is also "off-white" and not bright/pure(?) white. This 'new' version also includes a pair of cartoon hands and some are speculating that the head/visor is different than the first release. IMHO the first release still looks better, lol.

***EDIT: I'm thinking the head visor version is based on the armored set version? idk...

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX