17 hours ago, Pontus said:

I was hoping to find some sort of scale grate flooring that's so ubiquitous in these movies

Chewieholdsthepallets.jpg.6625621b4f1da86f14162872ebdc2e0b.jpg

Something like this...? 😎

Lukestandsonthepallets.jpg.6e816b710c005bebd305096b7fb4917f.jpg

7 hours ago, Pontus said:

I must be looking in all the wrong places.

Oh, they're not commercially available...

ScreenShot2024-07-05at11_25_45AM.jpg.a1e3f5f3a71b936a673e0b05d5def040.jpg

I make 'em myself. ☺️

Awesome display @Test_Pilot_2. Drooling... regretting selling my VB-6 coz of cracked joints. 

20240706_105005.jpg.4f2724c9938da40cc5e4e557107a4b4f.jpg

feels great to finally have a YF-29 again after all these years. Still trying to decide which mode to display it in, but I'm leaning towards GERWALK.

The best version of the Orgroid. At least the availability of this rendition are attainable when compared to their Takatoku counterpart. The box packaging is a chip off the old block but of course in this “Joey B economy” they had to replace the styrofoam and settle with a plastic tray. Really great version and I have the hi metal versions of it but these have a heft to them that makes them a cut above. 

IMG_9816.jpeg

IMG_9820.jpeg

IMG_9821.jpeg

22 minutes ago, graphic revolt said:

Really great version and I have the hi metal versions of it but these have a heft to them that makes them a cut above. 

What version are these and where can I find them?

12 hours ago, graphic revolt said:

The best version of the Orgroid. At least the availability of this rendition are attainable when compared to their Takatoku counterpart. The box packaging is a chip off the old block but of course in this “Joey B economy” they had to replace the styrofoam and settle with a plastic tray. Really great version and I have the hi metal versions of it but these have a heft to them that makes them a cut above. 

IMG_9816.jpeg

IMG_9820.jpeg

IMG_9821.jpeg

Wow one in each mode! :good:

4 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

PXL_20240716_011014424.MP.jpg

Very nice displays! :good:

I actually have couple of these same cabinets unassembled for years, as there's no more space to set them up. Nice to see how much they can fit.. 

7 hours ago, tekering said:

That Matchbox abomination on top makes me laugh. 😅

That one's near and dear to my heart.  That's actually one of the Playmates "reissues" they did of that mold in the 90s.  However the fast pack it has is from my original Matchbox from the 80s (sadly the rest of it is long gone).

I've also got a Matchbox Zentradi warrior down in the corner of the little Zentradi section.

On 7/16/2024 at 9:46 AM, HardlyNever said:

That one's near and dear to my heart.  That's actually one of the Playmates "reissues" they did of that mold in the 90s.  However the fast pack it has is from my original Matchbox from the 80s (sadly the rest of it is long gone).

I've also got a Matchbox Zentradi warrior down in the corner of the little Zentradi section.

lol that's the one I love.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got a new display case for my Macross collection. The old old one had a door shatter into a million pieces and I had moved my stuff into detolfs for temporary housing, but remained like that for years after. This new one has adjustable shelves and a metal frame so I don't have to worry about the whole thing collapsing should a side panel break somehow. 

image.jpeg.b51db8f9aad188ea9edbf3b7ef01d11f.jpeg

Only 1/60 scale stuff inside the case. I plan on finding some display boxes to put some of the stuff on top of the case in.

Got a replacement door from a local custom glass shop and repurposed the old display case for my 40k stuff.

20240909_024857.jpg.c16d7456134e6c648e23bbd765d19228.jpg

46 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Finally got a new display case for my Macross collection. The old old one had a door shatter into a million pieces and I had moved my stuff into detolfs for temporary housing, but remained like that for years after. This new one has adjustable shelves and a metal frame so I don't have to worry about the whole thing collapsing should a side panel break somehow. 

Only 1/60 scale stuff inside the case. I plan on finding some display boxes to put some of the stuff on top of the case in.

Got a replacement door from a local custom glass shop and repurposed the old display case for my 40k stuff.

Awesome!! :wub: 

As much as the Detolf's were by far the most value vs display volume, the display possibilities expand so much more with wide shelves. 

5 hours ago, MKT said:

As much as the Detolf's were by far the most value vs display volume, the display possibilities expand so much more with wide shelves. 

Spectacular display @MacrossJunkie nice and clean, love the Warhammer stuff, too!

Yes, not only width, but verticality helps, too... Just showcasing the display cabinet itself, but check out this display with the two vertical options:

20240909_100437.jpg

Edited by Test_Pilot_2

8 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I really like that new case you got for the 1/60s. The metal frame actually looks very clean.

But…I find your lack of Gerwalk disturbing. 😉

2 hours ago, Test_Pilot_2 said:

Spectacular display @MacrossJunkie nice and clean, love the Warhammer stuff, too!

Yes, not only width, but verticality helps, too... Just showcasing the display cabinet itself, but check out this display with the two vertical options:

20240909_100437.jpg

Great set-up as well. :good: 

8 hours ago, MKT said:

Agreed. I found there was a lot of wasted space and limitations due to having the horizontal space divided up between detolfs.

2 hours ago, Test_Pilot_2 said:

That's a neat setup. I like how you have things attached and hanging from the ceiling. 

32 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I really like that new case you got for the 1/60s. The metal frame actually looks very clean.

There's a reason for that; volume of space taken up. Battroid takes up space vertically. Fighter takes up space horizontally. Either leaves space to have additional things placed in front of or above/below. GERWALK takes up space both vertically and horizontally, leaving less usable space in either direction. It's the least likely to allow for placement of additional stuff in front of or above/below it.

18 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Great googly moogly, those are retail cases. 😄

While I wish I had room for those, and can understand the limitations of DETOLFs in comparison, DETOLFs are more manageable when it comes to assembly and moving them; at least alone. I also come at this as a lowly apartment dweller trying to maximize corners, etc. DETOLFs may have been made more with this in mind when so much other furniture they offer is also for aprtment living versus a house.

Altogether, DETOLFs, or at least those inspired by them (KOs!), work best for me so far.

29 minutes ago, Radioguy said:

Great googly moogly, those are retail cases. 😄

While I wish I had room for those, and can understand the limitations of DETOLFs in comparison, DETOLFs are more manageable when it comes to assembly and moving them; at least alone. I also come at this as a lowly apartment dweller trying to maximize corners, etc. DETOLFs may have been made more with this in mind when so much other furniture they offer is also for aprtment living versus a house.

Altogether, DETOLFs, or at least those inspired by them (KOs!), work best for me so far.

Indeed, that sort of case is normally used for retail displays. It's monstrous at 70" wide and 72" high with a depth of 20" or so. It came delivered on a large wooden pallet and was unbelievably heavy to lug it into the house piece by piece and up two flights of stairs. Took me nearly a day to put it together.

Since I now have some spare detolfs, I offered them to my mom, so I'll be disassembling them at some point and taking them to her house and will re-assemble them there. She wanted more than the 4 she has now, but apparently Ikea has stopped making them, so this was good for her as well. Plenty of similar alternatives on Amazon, but they're not as cheap as the ~$80 that I paid for mine at Ikea 17 years ago or so. 

On 9/9/2024 at 12:23 PM, Slave IV said:

I've partially rectified the error of my ways and added two GERWALKs to my display while I added in a couple of the new ghosts that I completely forgot I had until today. 

20240911_023936.jpg.6bf7cb75a8aacf61e7787043b066e6cc.jpg

Edit: Replaced with new pic. Got a couple display boxes which seem pretty good so I will get a couple more. Optimized the display a bit more.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

1 hour ago, MacrossJunkie said:

I've partially rectified the error of my ways and added two GERWALKs to my display while I added in a couple of the new ghosts that I completely forgot I had until today. 

20240910_002800.jpg.b263857856bd0197b5b895bde31f2e3a.jpg

Ah, much better! Less excuse, more gerwalk!😁

4 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Indeed, that sort of case is normally used for retail displays. It's monstrous at 70" wide and 72" high with a depth of 20" or so. It came delivered on a large wooden pallet and was unbelievably heavy to lug it into the house piece by piece and up two flights of stairs. Took me nearly a day to put it together.

Since I now have some spare detolfs, I offered them to my mom, so I'll be disassembling them at some point and taking them to her house and will re-assemble them there. She wanted more than the 4 she has now, but apparently Ikea has stopped making them, so this was good for her as well. Plenty of similar alternatives on Amazon, but they're not as cheap as the ~$80 that I paid for mine at Ikea 17 years ago or so. 

Not a week goes by on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Nextdoor, OfferUp, etc. that someone isn't selling a DETOLF. You can get one at MSRP or less given time. Just remember to start a chat with even the high-priced sellers. ;)

Same goes for EXPEDIT and KALLAX shelves (For you record collectors out there).

3 hours ago, MacrossJunkie said:

20240910_002800.jpg.b263857856bd0197b5b895bde31f2e3a.jpg

nice. what is the recommended weight allowed per row?

6 hours ago, Zeliard said:

nice. what is the recommended weight allowed per row?

Each row consists of two separate panes of tempered glass with the dimensions of 34" x 12" and a thickness of 1/4", supported by metal brackets 32" apart.

That roughly calculates to over 60 lbs per pane which is certainly way more than needed.