This was bound to happen...gray market VF's?

UN Spacy

12 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

So, if you ship things via FedEx, they do this on purpose.

FedEx offers different tiers of shipping, with different delivery priorities and speeds.  So, if you pay for the cheapest version, they're under absolutely no obligation to deliver something before the expected date, regardless of where that package is coming from.

When I ordered the monitors I have on my current computer, they were shipped from a warehouse about a two hour drive from my house.  They arrived at my local FedEx office the day after I ordered them.

I then watched the tracking information tell me that the trucks were driving my monitors around town for two days without delivering them.

I called them on this.  They told me they were "not due for delivery."  I had a lot of choice words for them about the entire situation,, and then drove to the local office, and just picked them up to end the stupidity.

Anyhow.. Back to Jetfire-related things.

So, I had one amusing success.  A quick gundam eraser application took off the UN SPACY label from one of my leg packs without really touching the undercoat.  Awesome.

Tried that on the second one.. and the paint came off in the reverse order. :lol:  The black stripped out from around the lettering.  In the end, I stripped off the entire stripe, and now have that one prepped to spray.  I don't know if I'll try and strip the black off of the second one, or just spray over it, but I'm betting it'll have to be stripped down to get a good coat sprayed.

We'll see how it goes. ^_^ 

Can't say I've experienced that with FedEx...yet. But I have had similar things happen with DHL, and USPS. Can't wait for the pics!

Nothing fancy so far, just happy I stripped them without damaging the red paint on the rest of the parts, since they are coated overall.

ss(2024-08-31at09_45.07).jpg.f5ad9a1c1ee636e74cc2c1d032b0d7d1.jpg

I did try brushing both an enamel and an acrylic coat to see how smooth it would come out, but neither wound up looking good, so I re-stripped, and will just spray them (once I remember how to airbrush :p).

I will say I miss the smell of enamels though.  I was thrilled to see my ancient Model Master black was still good, and while it didn't coat without showing the strokes, it still went on smoother than most acrylics I know.

Edited by Chronocidal

Any reviews I'm working on  are postponed for a bit. My daughter managed to bring COVID home in the first week, and while she's doing fine already I'm currently watching the Alien movies* with 102 degree fever so at least I'll be ready to watch Romulus after I get better. 

*Of course I've previously seen Alien and Aliens, but I'd never bothered with Prometheus or Covenant.

**And that's certainly all of them. Alien 3Resurrection? Never heard of them, pretty sure you're making stuff up because there's no way they'd kill Hicks and Newt unceremoniously off screen, kill Ripley, then bring her back as some kind of human/Xenomorph hybrid clone. That all sounds bad and stupid.

So I'm annoyed at myself.. I shoved the transparent covers for the fast packs back in the box so quickly that I forgot they existed... and those would have been the perfect parts to repaint for alternate markings. :lol: 

Might still be easier just painting the black stripes than having to match the shade of red at least, but I'm also glad to have a backup in case something goes wrong.

I cut-out some Autobot decals and slapped them over the Jolly Rogers on the boosters, added black vinyl sticker to cover the UN Spacy on the leg armor, and added the Autobot emblem to the nose cone.  I'd like to figure out a way to remove the jolly rogers on the tail fins (I used photoshop in these pics).

Polish_20240901_175912617.jpg

Polish_20240901_180112753.jpg

Polish_20240901_180147376.jpg

Polish_20240901_180231588.jpg

Polish_20240901_180304508.jpg

Polish_20240901_180402531.jpg

Polish_20240901_180447442.jpg

Polish_20240901_180538098.jpg

Polish_20240901_180621441.jpg

Polish_20240901_180700177.jpg

The black vinyl is probably a pretty solid option for the leg packs.  Looks good!

I think the only real solution for some of these changes is going to be repainting the parts.  The skull came off of the heatshield really easily at least, but it's not painted.  While I know it's "officially" correct, I still can't stomach the autobot logo on the nosecone though, that has always bugged me. :lol:  I'm going to be putting it on the heatshield instead, most likely.

Depending on the assembly process, and whether I can match the red paint, I might also start over with blank fuselage parts and wings to get rid of the kites.  The tails I probably would as well, if I could get the backpack apart, but it's probably less work to just strip the existing ones and repaint the outer tail surfaces.

The mish-mash of tampo markings makes me wonder if the tampo process is a fairly closed loop, and they weren't able to alter which markings were printed, only what colors they were done with.  It looks like this is mostly based off of a standard DYRL Hikaru VF-1S scheme with the red and black mostly swapped, but they did make a few custom additions (the pilot name, and red patches on the upper legs), and the nose section is missing the stripe.  Maybe they were working with a selection of printing options from other valks already being produced?  I don't know if any KOs were ever made that only had the kite on the nose though.

I was able to wiggle the nosecone tip off of one of mine, and judging by the paint pattern on the inside, the red parts were sprayed while still on the sprues.

19 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

The black vinyl is probably a pretty solid option for the leg packs.  Looks good!

I think the only real solution for some of these changes is going to be repainting the parts.  The skull came off of the heatshield really easily at least, but it's not painted.  While I know it's "officially" correct, I still can't stomach the autobot logo on the nosecone though, that has always bugged me. :lol:  I'm going to be putting it on the heatshield instead, most likely.

Depending on the assembly process, and whether I can match the red paint, I might also start over with blank fuselage parts and wings to get rid of the kites.  The tails I probably would as well, if I could get the backpack apart, but it's probably less work to just strip the existing ones and repaint the outer tail surfaces.

The mish-mash of tampo markings makes me wonder if the tampo process is a fairly closed loop, and they weren't able to alter which markings were printed, only what colors they were done with.  It looks like this is mostly based off of a standard DYRL Hikaru VF-1S scheme with the red and black mostly swapped, but they did make a few custom additions (the pilot name, and red patches on the upper legs), and the nose section is missing the stripe.  Maybe they were working with a selection of printing options from other valks already being produced?  I don't know if any KOs were ever made that only had the kite on the nose though.

I was able to wiggle the nosecone tip off of one of mine, and judging by the paint pattern on the inside, the red parts were sprayed while still on the sprues.

I like the idea of having the Autobot emblem on the heatshield.  Makes it a true "robot in disguise".  

1 hour ago, treatment said:

Not sure if already answered, but is that silver KO-stand just as weighted as well as included bunch-o'-adapters like the original Yammie launch-arm?

I do not own one of the original Yamato launch arms to compare it to, but this one is definitely weighted down with metal in the base, a solid metal mounting arm, and it's very sturdy.  The ratchets are a little tough to move, and sound a bit harsh, but they're not going anywhere easily, so it's not what I'd call a bad thing.

It also comes with all of the adapters, so you're good for any mode of display, including the removable nose escape pod (which one of the reviews I watched commented on, since they had to look up what it was).

This thing doesn't skimp on accessories at all, the basic release comes with everything you'd find in a late-issue Yamato strike VF-1 bundle (minus the strike cannon), including the side covers, battroid ejection seat mount, and neck filler pieces.  The transparent red fast pack covers are a pre-order bonus, while the launch arm stand is only included in the deluxe edition, for about $25 more, which feels like a bargain compared with what those stands sold for originally.

Price-wise?  It's almost exactly what I paid for an original release Yamato VF-1S strike bundle in 2008, so long as you ignore the currency shenanigans over the past fifteen years. :p 

I saw it had gone to sold out a day ago on ShowZ... and then went back up for pre-order last night.  I might have just put in a pre-order for a third copy.  If they're doing multiple production runs, I'll be interested to compare, and see if any of the little first run issues are fixed.

As much as I liked the metallic paint on the KC 1/72 version, I'm really glad I went with this.  The packaging is perfect, and the quality is extremely good for a KO, at half the price of the KC God of Flame.

Edited by Chronocidal

Got mine in. Boxes were in not so good condition since the seller bent the top flaps over just to fit it in the box to ship. Oh well. But the toys themselves are fine :)  Just need some shock oil for the shoulders because those things are stiff and squeaky.

FG-01-not-Jetfire.jpg

16 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I do not own one of the original Yamato launch arms to compare it to, but this one is definitely weighted down with metal in the base, a solid metal mounting arm, and it's very sturdy.  The ratchets are a little tough to move, and sound a bit harsh, but they're not going anywhere easily, so it's not what I'd call a bad thing.

It also comes with all of the adapters, so you're good for any mode of display, including the removable nose escape pod (which one of the reviews I watched commented on, since they had to look up what it was).

Oh, ok.  It is as weighted as the old Yammie. Nice!

The bunch-o-adapters I'm talking about is this:

image.png.9baea8494f1153daad13a8dd496913e1.png

It'll be a nice bonus if it did.

1 hour ago, treatment said:

Not sure if already answered, but is that silver KO-stand just as weighted as well as included bunch-o'-adapters like the original Yammie launch-arm?

20 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

This thing doesn't skimp on accessories at all, the basic release comes with everything you'd find in a late-issue Yamato strike VF-1 bundle (minus the strike cannon), including the side covers, battroid ejection seat mount, and neck filler pieces.  The transparent red fast pack covers are a pre-order bonus, while the launch arm stand is only included in the deluxe edition, for about $25 more, which feels like a bargain compared with what those stands sold for originally.

Price-wise?  It's almost exactly what I paid for an original release Yamato VF-1S strike bundle in 2008, so long as you ignore the currency shenanigans over the past fifteen years. :p 

Yeah I just opened my extras boxes up, and the stand definitely feels weighted. Seems like a pretty decent stand for a KO.

3 minutes ago, treatment said:

Oh, ok.  It is as weighted as the old Yammie. Nice!

The bunch-o-adapters I'm talking about is this:

image.png.9baea8494f1153daad13a8dd496913e1.png

It'll be a nice bonus if it did.

I don't know if all those adapters are included, but I went ahead and took a quick pic of all that came with mine.

FG-01 KO Stand.jpg

2 hours ago, Dark Skull said:

Got mine in. Boxes were in not so good condition since the seller bent the top flaps over just to fit it in the box to ship. Oh well. But the toys themselves are fine :)  Just need some shock oil for the shoulders because those things are stiff and squeaky.

FG-01-not-Jetfire.jpg

Here's an important question: Did that specific AliEX seller list "With box" and also "No box" as options, or was there no mention?

I ask, because at least one listing had the delineation, and I had assumed, especially with the added charge, that there would be care taken if you chose "With box".

But, if your listing didn't have more than one choice, maybe all are being shipped out with the boxes, and the one with the choice means they do take care to protect it.

Just curious...

2 minutes ago, Radioguy said:

Here's an important question: Did that specific AliEX seller list "With box" and also "No box" as options, or was there no mention?

I ask, because at least one listing had the delineation, and I had assumed, especially with the added charge, that there would be care taken if you chose "With box".

But, if your listing didn't have more than one choice, maybe all are being shipped out with the boxes, and the one with the choice means they do take care to protect it.

Just curious...

The one I bought from at the time had no delineation/option for "no box." It was either standard of deluxe version.

4 minutes ago, Dark Skull said:

The one I bought from at the time had no delineation/option for "no box." It was either standard of deluxe version.

Aha. No guarantees, but maybe the sellers who do say "With box" pack to protect it?

10 minutes ago, tekering said:

Definite improvement. 👍

While you're at it, you might consider painting the red sensor lights on the nosecone, to match all your other VF-1 toys...

anothersuggestion.jpg.afb5edf5199f5fde5e64c957c8516338.jpg

Nah I'm good lol  I'd probably need to do that freehand, and I'd mess it up. Also, I don't know the shade of red I'd need.

• 2 weeks later...

Great review! Thanks for sharing.

I added some transformer decals to cover the side boosters/armor.

Also the gun.

Still looking for a way to cover the Jolly Rogers on the tail fins.

20240914_144337.jpg

20240914_144540.jpg

20240914_144548.jpg

Edited by spacemanspiff
Added text