Hi-Metal R

joppewo

21 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Got my very first Macross toy (that's actually a Macross toy and not a KO of a KO in Transformers colors), a Hi-Metal R VF-4G.  Took forever to get here... I thought I was buying from an American seller, and I technically was... he just happened to be shipping from an American military base in Okinawa, so it actually came via Japan.  Worth the wait, though.  I haven't had a chance to transform it yet, but I put the leg covers, the fin under the cockpit, and the antenna on, and I mounted it on the stand, and it looks so good.  I get where some people were coming from on some things like the necessity to partsform the landing gear or the fact that the cockpit comes off instead of opening to put the little pilot in, but I think I can live with stuff like that.  Not exactly an apples-to-apples, but the paint and materials on the Hi-Metal R feel much better than the God of Flame.  Probably not fair to judge Yamato/Arcadia based on a KO of a KO, but I'm feeling really good about my call to go with Hi-Metal R for my Macross toys.

I'll take some pictures and do a review later in the week or next week, I think.

Next up, track down a VF-1S in Fokker colors, then probably a VF-0S in Fokker colors.  It's funny, I'm not usually into the standard or "hero" colors, but the black and gold with the Jolly Rodger will never not look good.

Congrats @mikeszekely.

2BD5881E-4E2A-4645-8E12-A109F2F18842.jpeg.78c10fc2d608d4f51ab99f59ab84d411.jpeg

I recommend the VF-1S and VF-0S to go with your VF-4G.  I think they look good together.

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

I recommend the VF-1S and VF-0S to go with your VF-4G.  I think they look good together.

That's the plan.  After that, who knows?  I'm not even sure which Valks have been done in which colors yet (though I have to say I'd kill for a VF-11 in Skull Squadron colors).

Oh yeah, I do know that the Fire Valkyrie was recently released in the Hi-Metal R line.  Do you think they'll redo the VF-19S, too, or should I track down the old Hi-Metal no-R version?

I would probably wait to see what the plans are for the VF-19 mold.  Whichever you actually like better, the old one is likely to drop in price once a new one is released, and be easier to pick up from people upgrading.

I think it's fairly likely they will do the other 19 molds, since the conversion is so simple, but what's kind of funny is that the VF-19P is actually the most direct color-swap from the Fire Valk, so I would not be terribly surprised if we see that next as a webshop release.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

That's the plan.  After that, who knows?  I'm not even sure which Valks have been done in which colors yet (though I have to say I'd kill for a VF-11 in Skull Squadron colors).

Oh yeah, I do know that the Fire Valkyrie was recently released in the Hi-Metal R line.  Do you think they'll redo the VF-19S, too, or should I track down the old Hi-Metal no-R version?

I would avoid the old HM VF-19S, unless one really likes the color, sculpt and need it now, or for collection completists. The current HMR VF-19 Kai's mold is far superior every way in quality & engineering.

Nevertheless, even if other HMR VF-19 are easy repaints with minimal new parts, Bandai is just so unpredictable with their pattern of Macross releases these days that we don't put much high hopes anymore on what's coming next.

The VF-19 (and by extension the YF-19) has one of the most ingenious transformation schemes of any valk, and the HMR Fire Valk beautifully captures it in physical form. Plus, it is now sitting firmly below MSRP, so it's great buy. :good: 

Mnn.. below MSRP this soon isn't a good sign though, unfortunately.  I was hoping Bandai was somewhat committed, since it includes the details necessary for a VF-19P, but I guess it wouldn't greatly surprise me if they just walk away from the series after this, despite the Sound Force tease.

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Mnn.. below MSRP this soon isn't a good sign though, unfortunately.  I was hoping Bandai was somewhat committed, since it includes the details necessary for a VF-19P, but I guess it wouldn't greatly surprise me if they just walk away from the series after this, despite the Sound Force tease.

After the Amazon deals, I thought the same, but they still kept pumping them out afterward. Not sure.

Not too worried yet about the plummeting price as far as affecting future releases. The VF-0S also dropped quite bit, and though it wasn't as fast as the Fire Valk, it never recovered throughout this period and Bandai continued to give us the 0D & 0A. But then again, Bandai has dropped lines for less reasons, so we are back to them being unpredictable..

On 9/11/2024 at 9:57 PM, mikeszekely said:

For the HMR line, Bandai has made use of the their molds for variants at least once with the exception of the Spartan, Defender, Monster, and Glaug.

VF-1:  16 variants

VF-0:  4 variants

VF-4:  2 variants

VF-2:  2 variants

Regult:  3 variants

Bandai will most likely release a VF-19S Blazer.

Edited by sh9000

1 minute ago, sh9000 said:

For the HMR line, Bandai has made use of the their molds for variants at least once with the exception of the Spartan, Defender, Monster, and Glaug.

VF-1:  21 variants

VF-0:  4 variants

VF-4:  2 variants

VF-2:  2 variants

Regult:  3 variants

Bandai will most likely release a VF-19S Blazer.

Huh. Assuming I only want one of each variant I'm not super behind. 

7 hours ago, MKT said:

Plus, it is now sitting firmly below MSRP, so it's great buy. :good:

While I don't hate Macross 7 (I actually really like it!), I'm not a fan of faces on Valks. I'm in for a YF-19/VF-19A, a VF-19F/S, or even a VF-19P, but not the Fire Valkyrie.

That said, I do hope Bandai finishes Sound Force, if only because it'll make a VF-11B/C and a VF-17D/S more likely. Those I actually do want.

I wouldn't necessarily count on there being a VF-11B/C if they do Sound Force, since there's pretty much no commonality between the MAXL and the normal VF-11.  I can't think of a single part they could actually share... maybe landing gear?  Everything is a completely different shape.

I'm right there with you wanting them to make both designs though, along with Ray's VF-17, since neither have ever been done in any sort of transforming format that I know of.

While I don't hate Macross 7 (I actually really like it!), I'm not a fan of faces on Valks. I'm in for a YF-19/VF-19A, a VF-19F/S, or even a VF-19P, but not the Fire Valkyrie.

I hate the face as well. I’m with you on the wait for a blueberry

19 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm right there with you wanting them to make both designs though, along with Ray's VF-17, since neither have ever been done in any sort of transforming format that I know of.

I used to have the big clunky Bandai 17, but i think you’re right that they haven’t done Ray’s as a transforming toy yet.

Yeah for a long time I thought faces on valks were pretty weird, and what’s more jarring was the MAXL - boobs on  valks too?! Is this Transformers or Macross lol.

But eventually I came to accept their aesthetics, in the same way of closing an eye on piloting a valk with guitar controls.

The Fire Valk do come with a masked faceplate to hide its mouth, & I always imagined I’ll be using that for Battroid display, but since the face is a defining feature on top of the searing Ronald McDonald scheme, I might as well embrace it.. 

It just dawned on me that if I’m not wrong, Mac 7 has the most variety of valks in any Macross series, so it’ll be a shame if Bandai stops at just the VF-19 molds.. 

On 9/11/2024 at 1:58 AM, mikeszekely said:

Got my very first Macross toy (that's actually a Macross toy and not a KO of a KO in Transformers colors), a Hi-Metal R VF-4G.  Took forever to get here... I thought I was buying from an American seller, and I technically was... he just happened to be shipping from an American military base in Okinawa, so it actually came via Japan.  Worth the wait, though.  I haven't had a chance to transform it yet, but I put the leg covers, the fin under the cockpit, and the antenna on, and I mounted it on the stand, and it looks so good.  I get where some people were coming from on some things like the necessity to partsform the landing gear or the fact that the cockpit comes off instead of opening to put the little pilot in, but I think I can live with stuff like that.  Not exactly an apples-to-apples, but the paint and materials on the Hi-Metal R feel much better than the God of Flame.  Probably not fair to judge Yamato/Arcadia based on a KO of a KO, but I'm feeling really good about my call to go with Hi-Metal R for my Macross toys.

I'll take some pictures and do a review later in the week or next week, I think.

Next up, track down a VF-1S in Fokker colors, then probably a VF-0S in Fokker colors.  It's funny, I'm not usually into the standard or "hero" colors, but the black and gold with the Jolly Rodger will never not look good.

Welcome to HMR addiction!

The VF-1S in Fokker colors isn't too hard. (keep an eye on the buy and sell threads here to get a good deal). They have the original older Hi-Metal release (which is very white), and HMR DYRL strike (in gray) and SDFM supers (in whiter). This is a quick picture from awhile ago but has the SDFM on the left, then the DYRL in gray to the right of it:

No photo description available.

Amazon is currently selling the recent VF-Os for about $117 (and free one day delivery with Prime).

8 minutes ago, vladykins said:

The VF-1S in Fokker colors isn't too hard. (keep an eye on the buy and sell threads here to get a good deal). 

Funny you mention it, I just bought the DYRL VF-1S Strike from a board member, @Reni  We worked out a deal good enough that I bought the VF-1J with GBP armor from him while I was at it.

12 minutes ago, vladykins said:

Amazon is currently selling the recent VF-Os for about $117 (and free one day delivery with Prime).

I saw, and despite bought three HMRs in less than a month already I'll probably pull the trigger on that. After that I'll probably have to let my wallet cool off a bit, but I'll probably get the VF-2SS eventually, too.

(I just wish I had some better skills as a customizer, too. Then I'd repaint the red or blue on the VF-2SS, as some black stripes to the wings, put some black and yellow on the stabs...)

17 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Funny you mention it, I just bought the DYRL VF-1S Strike from a board member, @Reni  We worked out a deal good enough that I bought the VF-1J with GBP armor from him while I was at it.

I saw, and despite bought three HMRs in less than a month already I'll probably pull the trigger on that. After that I'll probably have to let my wallet cool off a bit, but I'll probably get the VF-2SS eventually, too.

(I just wish I had some better skills as a customizer, too. Then I'd repaint the red or blue on the VF-2SS, as some black stripes to the wings, put some black and yellow on the stabs...)

Now that's it's already too late for you and your wallet, you might as well look into getting any or all the Destroids and Enemy Mechas to really get the hype of this line!🤣

I don't have anything recent but throwing in some old pics for motivation:

HMR_Defender_DSC06086.thumb.jpg.a5804742ff52b730d36693fe79ac7e2b.jpgMacross_HMR_Spartan_DSC05579_zpscvvrdx1y.JPG.aec2ca75338ccb83829b887b0f5fe049.JPGMacross_HMR_DSC05546_zpshjbuylba.JPG.26f07ac7265bbd0b116e96de5050fe52.JPGMacross_HMR_DSC05545_zpszzfre9yd.JPG.c19b2c676a6e86ca6b226fc32b26e61c.JPGMacross_HMR_Spartan_DSC05576_zpsilyz3hfe.JPG.dd266e62e0e153b8f9029f91c8f3da4a.JPG

35 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

It is a downward slope from here. Wait until you see the OWL armor and then need to by extra VFs to put them on.

As for customizing, I know the feeling. The VF-1A brownie in the GBP I have wanted to turn into the black GBP guy from "Love Flows By". One of these days I'll get around to it. 

image.jpeg.a8d4934dc9fa9409af97f1c415fe3869.jpeg

6 hours ago, vladykins said:

It is a downward slope from here. Wait until you see the OWL armor and then need to by extra VFs to put them on.

As for customizing, I know the feeling. The VF-1A brownie in the GBP I have wanted to turn into the black GBP guy from "Love Flows By". One of these days I'll get around to it. 

image.jpeg.a8d4934dc9fa9409af97f1c415fe3869.jpeg

Itano circus best circus.

8 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Now that's it's already too late for you and your wallet, you might as well look into getting any or all the Destroids and Enemy Mechas to really get the hype of this line!🤣

I don't have anything recent but throwing in some old pics for motivation:

Non-transforming mecha don't do much for me.  I've never really cared for the Destroids, but if Bandai ever wants to do a VB-6 I could end up with Monster.  As for enemy mecha, the Gnerl, Nousjadel-Ger, and Queadluun-Rau have never really spoken to me.  I could possibly be persuaded to add a Regult do my collection, as I think it's by far the most iconic Zentradi mecha and the one that felt the most alien to me.  Maybe even a Glaug, as I it seemed like the most natural "upgrade" to a Regult, but a quick search has them a bit pricey on the aftermarket (especially the Glaug).

Now, if Bandai wants to make a Hi-Metal R SV-51, SV-262, Elgerzorene, Panzerzorene, or Saubergeran those are enemy mecha I can get behind (though, in the case of the Varauta mecha, I'd rather they put out a Hi-Metal R VF-14... not that it'll ever happen).

EDIT: Oh, yeah, almost forgot.  I'm lacking in willpower/self-control, and I did wind up ordering that VF-0.  Four HMRs in less than a month... my poor wallet.

Edited by mikeszekely

26 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Non-transforming mecha don't do much for me.  I've never really cared for the Destroids, but if Bandai ever wants to do a VB-6 I could end up with Monster.  As for enemy mecha, the Gnerl, Nousjadel-Ger, and Queadluun-Rau have never really spoken to me.  I could possibly be persuaded to add a Regult do my collection, as I think it's by far the most iconic Zentradi mecha and the one that felt the most alien to me.  Maybe even a Glaug, as I it seemed like the most natural "upgrade" to a Regult, but a quick search has them a bit pricey on the aftermarket (especially the Glaug).

Now, if Bandai wants to make a Hi-Metal R SV-51, SV-262, Elgerzorene, Panzerzorene, or Saubergeran those are enemy mecha I can get behind (though, in the case of the Varauta mecha, I'd rather they put out a Hi-Metal R VF-14... not that it'll ever happen).

EDIT: Oh, yeah, almost forgot.  I'm lacking in willpower/self-control, and I did wind up ordering that VF-0.  Four HMRs in less than a month... my poor wallet.

Congratulations, and next purchase could be the VF-0D. I feel it is different enough from the 0S / 0A to be its own thing and that Fighter mode is just yummy.

Bandai did make a VB-6, in fact 3 of them. And they are near HMR scale. :good:

https://anymoon.com/blog/?p=4194#more-4194 

33 minutes ago, MKT said:

Bandai did make a VB-6, in fact 3 of them. And they are near HMR scale. :good:

Hmm... wouldn't the older Yamato one be even closer to HMR scale?  Both look to be more than I feel like paying for a VB-6 on the aftermarket, though.

Got my pics ready to review God of Flame, then I think I'm going to hold off any Macross reviews until more of the HMRs I bought come in.  For some reason I think it's best to start with the VF-1, then VF-0, then VF-4, even though the VF-4 is the only one I have actually in-hand yet.

21 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Hmm... wouldn't the older Yamato one be even closer to HMR scale?  Both look to be more than I feel like paying for a VB-6 on the aftermarket, though.

The Yamato might be closer in scale, but the overall functionality and stability of the Bandai release generally tops it in almost every way, from what I recall.  It's definitely based on the Frontier styling though, which has some differences from the original VFX game artwork.

If you're not opposed to building kits, there also is the VF Girls kit of the VB-6, and it's engineered to mostly function independently as a fully transformable model without using the figure intended to ride it, but it makes some compromises on the proportions.  It's also closer to 1/150 I think, so significantly smaller by comparison, but also closer to the VFX lineart than the Bandai Frontier interpretation.  The only real benefit though is the price, and relative availability compared with the Bandai and Yamato versions.  It does display pretty well as the shuttle, but not as well in the destroid or battroid modes, due to the scaling and size compromises.

https://www.hlj.com/macross-delta-vb-6-konig-monster-reissue-aos06428-2

Here it is compared to the Bandai version:

ss(2024-02-18at09_15.40).jpg.9f03d9f922b5b0c7f14f82c369f307f3.jpgss(2024-02-18at09_16.54).jpg.2ff047a8af1e2b6e1fc92d552155dde5.jpg

The lack of the backend is due to turning the chassis into a motorcycle-style mount for the figure it came with.  I'm not entirely sure why the guns are so undersized though, since the shuttle proportions worked out so similarly.

Edited by Chronocidal

You guys gotta stop tempting me with more stuff than I ought to be buying right now.😋

Seriously, I think for now I'm going to stick with the VF-4G I have in hand, the VF-1S Striker and the VF-1J GBP I bought from @Reni, and the VF-0S I ordered on Amazon for now, with the the intention to buy a VF-2SS in the near future (probably the Nexx version, as I understand it has a few extra accessories and the only other difference is the color of the stripes).  In theory, that should tide me over until Bandai releases new models (and a VF-19 that isn't the Fire Valkyrie), but I retain the option to buy a VF-0D and some more VF-1s (especially a VF-1A).  As for non-HMR toys, the Yamato/Arcadias and the Bandai DXs are a bit more than I want to pay (for a single toy, at least, given that I could have bought one for what I've spent on HMRs in the last two or three weeks).  I don't really have the space for larger toys anyway, especially when I'm thinking I'll likely keep them in fighter mode most of the time.

The Glaug and Regult are good (although stronger knees would've been nice) but a bit disappointing they don't come with pilot figures. Could've at least thrown us a bone with the upper torso of Quamzin or something to stick in the cockpit like they did w/ those Robot Sprits Q-Rare from Frontier.

Glaug.jpeg.87274ccf42bd4de8d584d05be44c15b8.jpeg

12 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

You guys gotta stop tempting me with more stuff than I ought to be buying right now.😋

Seriously, I think for now I'm going to stick with the VF-4G I have in hand, the VF-1S Striker and the VF-1J GBP I bought from @Reni, and the VF-0S I ordered on Amazon for now, with the the intention to buy a VF-2SS in the near future (probably the Nexx version, as I understand it has a few extra accessories and the only other difference is the color of the stripes).  In theory, that should tide me over until Bandai releases new models (and a VF-19 that isn't the Fire Valkyrie), but I retain the option to buy a VF-0D and some more VF-1s (especially a VF-1A).  As for non-HMR toys, the Yamato/Arcadias and the Bandai DXs are a bit more than I want to pay (for a single toy, at least, given that I could have bought one for what I've spent on HMRs in the last two or three weeks).  I don't really have the space for larger toys anyway, especially when I'm thinking I'll likely keep them in fighter mode most of the time.

The Hi-Metal R VF-2SS Nexx version also has an extra nub slot for the neck right to allow it to attach better in Battroid mode.  It does come with an extra leg super part and the Heavy Rail Gun that Nexx has specific to him.

Twich

Got my pics ready to review God of Flame, then I think I'm going to hold off any Macross reviews until more of the HMRs I bought come in.  For some reason I think it's best to start with the VF-1, then VF-0, then VF-4, even though the VF-4 is the only one I have actually in-hand yet.

The Yamato is the correct 1/100 scale, and if not mistaken Bandai's VB-6 is undersized towards 1/110. But the thing is, the whole HMR line fudges on scale anyway. They are technically non-scale, so we are seeing them to be sort of +/- 10% of 1/100 across the releases. Myself am not so particular about scale to a tee, as long as they are in ballpark and still manage to look great together. But as @Chronocidal has also pointed out, Bandai's VB-6 is much better put together compared to Yamato's and is the much better toy.

Ok look forward to your reviews. :good:

I thought it's also appropriate to post this GIF again, courtesy of @no3Ljm haha.

Wallet.GIF.119a72048bee7410af5a5287aca9e8b3.GIF

22 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

DCF78D87-1CC5-4FBC-97D4-2886239D2370.jpeg.e7c0610c7fb1ee46e6a4825c3708e108.jpeg

2B75EAD6-9AEE-47EE-BC75-8FABF56B419B.jpeg.7da0aa0fd07a0a35c6807863b805c76e.jpeg

@mikeszekely Here's my take.  Fighter mode is good for space and you can display a lot in a shelf.

D5D75737-FFA3-45C6-9E70-70654514BB78.jpeg.2be58be07cb2df5ebcc4587f9aed6fc6.jpeg

The DX Konig Monster fits right in with HMR.

D7CCC2E3-E61A-4D4F-B02B-6B8509F6F544.jpeg.7a1c632bbc4cd84cfb968b980b075f99.jpeg

The Regults are good and scale well with the VF-1.

I always like these displays - is that a 1/60 Messiah nestled in with the HMRs? I'm wondering if there's a 1/100 Messiah out there that I missed...

8 minutes ago, Test_Pilot_2 said:

I always like these displays - is that a 1/60 Messiah nestled in with the HMRs? I'm wondering if there's a 1/100 Messiah out there that I missed...

There are 1/100 VF-25 from the VF100 line:

https://anymoon.com/blog/?p=2927#more-2927

They are crazy partsforming galore, but make for decent display pieces with other 1/100.

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Non-transforming mecha don't do much for me.  I've never really cared for the Destroids,

I used to think the same way about Destroids and also thought the whole HMR line was a joke in general. 

Then I decided to try a Regult since I thought it would be nice to have one enemy Mecha represented in my Macross collection. It was so good that I felt I needed a Valk from the line to go with it. When the Destroids came, I didn’t care much but ended up getting a Monster and was completely blown away by the quality they put into it. Same goes for the rest of the Destroids. I guess since they don’t transform, they are able to put extra effort into making them really, really good. The smaller scale actually caters to them being so good and you’ll be blown away by the details and joints on them just from a toy lovers perspective even if you hate their designs. 

Anyways, point is I thought the same way you did and it’s the Destroids and Enemy Mecha that sold me on the line to the point where I have every single release now and multiples of most of them, plus a lot of the non-Macross HMR. Just because of those non-transforming Macross Mecha that I used to not even pay attention much to. 

Just how many HMR VF-1 releases are there (not counting the pre-R Hi Metals)?  I know that Focker's VF-1S came with the Strike packs in and a grayer deco, but also in a whiter deco with Super packs, right?  And I know that they did the VF-1J in Max's (and Miriya's colors), but did they ever do the VF-1A in Max's colors?

22 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Just how many HMR VF-1 releases are there (not counting the pre-R Hi Metals)?  I

16...or 14 if you want to get technical and not count the VT-1 and VE-1...

https://tamashiiweb.com/item_brand/hi-metal_r/1/?sa=JAPAN&character=macross_series&order=release&ck1=1&ck2=1&ck3=1&ck4=1&ck5=1&number=40&ok=Filter+by+this+condition&wovn=ja#gi_productlist

22 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Just how many HMR VF-1 releases are there (not counting the pre-R Hi Metals)?  I know that Focker's VF-1S came with the Strike packs in and a grayer deco, but also in a whiter deco with Super packs, right?  And I know that they did the VF-1J in Max's (and Miriya's colors), but did they ever do the VF-1A in Max's colors?

If you care about the pilot figures, the (newer and whiter) TV Super 1S is Hikaru, not Roy. But the pilot figures for the TV VF-1s so far are so undersized and tiny that it's hard to tell who's even in the cockpit. The newer releases including that Hikaru Super 1J, the Revival armored GBP 1J and the rest of Vermillion platoon also have side cavity fillers if that's something you care about, but I'm thinking the majority of people don't. I will say though that the plastic on the newer HMR VF-1s feel a little thinner to me than the older ones, but I could just be imagining things.