Hi-Metal R

joppewo

10 minutes ago, MKT said:

I love me more VF-4.. and as I'm typing this I'm thinking Bandai would sooner release these than the dang Tomahawk.

Now with my luck, I'll pull the trigger on the Focker homage, and Bandai will announce the next day Max and Millia's... Which for me, is a bit of double dipping regret as it's the same mold, and only plan to sink in multiplies with the Zero line, especially with a fodder 0A and fodder SV-51... 

10 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

You're the holy guardian of archived images!!!! Thank you!!!

Dammit, that Max 😍... I guess this was a long time ago (During my collecting time out), and I guess in true Bandai fashion, now locked in the deep freezer... 

You're welcome. :hi:

That image is from Tamashii Nations 2018. And yes, that's been awhile. ;) 

6 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

You're welcome. :hi:

That image is from Tamashii Nations 2018. And yes, that's been awhile. ;) 

6 years... and nothing since... 😶... I now feel that Tomahawk pain... 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

6 years... and nothing since... 😶... I now feel that Tomahawk pain... 

Well, who knows? One more year, and maybe they will finally release Tomahawk and Phalanx in celebration of its 10th Anniversary since it was teased back in Tamashii Nations 2015. You never know, they also might add Nousjadeul-Ger in the mix as well. :spiteful:

5639b4d01896f.jpg.ba02bd3dfc766a10b8b95326a20ece97.jpg

5639b4fe08b04.jpg.545f9ee4d36027d5759da4799782f5ef.jpg

5639cc482ff84.jpg.9e6ec52707288eb73685674a3493b699.jpg

Edited by no3Ljm

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Well, who knows? One more year, and maybe they will finally release Tomahawk and Phalanx in celebration of its 10th Anniversary since it was teased back in Tamashii Nations 2015. You never know, they also might add Nousjadeul-Ger in the mix as well. :spiteful:

5639b4d01896f.jpg.ba02bd3dfc766a10b8b95326a20ece97.jpg

5639b4fe08b04.jpg.545f9ee4d36027d5759da4799782f5ef.jpg

5639cc482ff84.jpg.9e6ec52707288eb73685674a3493b699.jpg

That picture hurts... would love me a re-release VE and VT... And the VF-1 in that DYRL grey... And the Regults... ...Nousjadeul-Ger, why not, that too... 

10 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hahaha 10th Anniversary Blue Balls Memorial! Only at Tamashii Nations 2025. :p

1 hour ago, jenius said:

When we were excited about BW going international, we didn't realize it meant a bunch of boring reissues.

And a bunch of VF-1's from different companies. Whether it's Big West's or Robotech's.

On 5/23/2024 at 10:02 AM, jenius said:

When we were excited about BW going international, we didn't realize it meant a bunch of boring reissues.

On 5/23/2024 at 11:08 AM, no3Ljm said:

And a bunch of VF-1's from different companies. Whether it's Big West's or Robotech's.

Honestly, I kinda did. Old school Macross is the biggest thing of the franchise outside Japan

1 hour ago, Big s said:

Honestly, I kinda did. Old school Macross is the biggest thing of the franchise outside Japan

Yes, to have VF-1s become prolific is a good thing; even if many of us have all the VF-1s we can take (I'm not there yet, though).

Seeing some store shelf space occupied by Gundams feature more Macross would be wonderful to behold.

11 hours ago, Radioguy said:

Yes, to have VF-1s become prolific is a good thing; even if many of us have all the VF-1s we can take (I'm not there yet, though).

Seeing some store shelf space occupied by Gundams feature more Macross would be wonderful to behold.

This right here: "Seeing some store shelf space occupied by Gundams feature more Macross would be wonderful to behold." This would be amazing and isn't asking much. Yes Gundam is popular but there's a hunger for Macross out here that isn't getting fulfilled.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Convectuoso said:

So, there's the VF-19 Kai releasing next month, then the VF-4 reissue... And that's it?

I'm a bit concerned about this line. There's been a lot of teases, but no actual announcements.

The entire Hi Metal R line will have had a total of six releases this year, once the VF-4 III is released in October. Three of which are from Macross. To be fair, the VF-4 III is a re-release though. So, that's two new HMR Macross releases this year, which, when compared to the last few years is on par.

Two Macross related HMR releases in 2023, one in 2022, nothing in 2021 (?), one in 2020, and two in 2019.

And they may still announce something else before the end of the year.

Keep the faith. :)

On 7/17/2024 at 4:52 PM, Convectuoso said:

So, there's the VF-19 Kai releasing next month, then the VF-4 reissue... And that's it?

I'm a bit concerned about this line. There's been a lot of teases, but no actual announcements.

The vast amount of yet to be released reveals creates this illusion. But it's common for Bandai to show numerous reveals at main events, where most eventually get forgotten in their deep freezer.

Considering how their last releases sold out on Amazon Japan, there's nothing to worry, but we shouldn't expect more than a handful yearly pre-orders. 

• 3 weeks later...

So... I was getting some guff about not having any Valkyries, what with this being a Macross board and all.  Is the High Metal line a good place to start?  What's the scale?  I'm not a huge fan of the designs from Frontier on, but I think I'd love a good VF-4.

9 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

So... I was getting some guff about not having any Valkyries, what with this being a Macross board and all.  Is the High Metal line a good place to start?  What's the scale?  I'm not a huge fan of the designs from Frontier on, but I think I'd love a good VF-4.

1/100 or so. If you're looking for a place to start, this is it. Not too expensive, and not too big.

24 minutes ago, Radioguy said:

1/100

Just now, jenius said:

It's technically non scale but the releases range between 1/80 and 1/100.

Let's see... a 1/100 MG Gundam is about yay tall... and the VF-1 is shorter than Gundam, so... a little bigger than an Earthrise Seeker?  Maybe around the size of Top Gun x Transformers Maverick?

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

I was in your situation not too long ago (no Valkyries) and went the HMR route. No regrets. Highly recommend.

If you're hurting for shelf space, really need to save money, and don't mind dealing with a bunch of fiddly pieces, HMR are awesome, quality toys that are fun to play with 

However, if you only want a single copy of just a few of your favorites to display, Arcadia 1/60 scale doesn't cost much more, don't have lots of bits, and display and pose really well in a perfect size for a dedicated, unencumbered shelf/display.  

I started with HMR for playing with a cheaper toy, but once I got serious about even minor collecting by most standards here, a larger scale was too tempting with more options, models, etc, and with a little patience found good deals on really cool toys. 

I recently got an Arcadia VF-4A premium finish, and it is GAWJUSS!  But HMR has a non canon (but should be imho) Roy color version... with all the tiny missiles popping off all the time.

7 minutes ago, Pontus said:

If you're hurting for shelf space, really need to save money, and don't mind dealing with a bunch of fiddly pieces, HMR are awesome, quality toys that are fun to play with 

However, if you only want a single copy of just a few of your favorites to display, Arcadia 1/60 scale doesn't cost much more, don't have lots of bits, and display and pose really well in a perfect size for a dedicated, unencumbered shelf/display.  

I started with HMR for playing with a cheaper toy, but once I got serious about even minor collecting by most standards here, a larger scale was too tempting with more options, models, etc, and with a little patience found good deals on really cool toys. 

I recently got an Arcadia VF-4A premium finish, and it is GAWJUSS!  But HMR has a non canon (but should be imho) Roy color version... with all the tiny missiles popping off all the time.

I agree. Arcadia is a nice step up but for my budget, I couldn't pull the trigger. These are nice enough for me to display despite the bit of fiddliness (which isn't an issue since I don't play with mine).

Also, Captain, no smoking on the bridge!

2 minutes ago, MisaForever said:

Also, Captain, no smoking on the bridge!

Ahem... apologies Lieutenant.  I was just thinking about all these Valkyries to buy.

45 minutes ago, MisaForever said:

Current collection. VF-4 Lightning coming next.

You wouldn't happen to have any Transformers to use as a size comparison?

17 minutes ago, Pontus said:

If you're hurting for shelf space

I ran out of shelf space years ago.  Most of my Transformers collection is in boxes.

17 minutes ago, Pontus said:

Arcadia 1/60 scale doesn't cost much more, don't have lots of bits, and display and pose really well in a perfect size for a dedicated, unencumbered shelf/display....

...I recently got an Arcadia VF-4A premium finish, and it is GAWJUSS!

Out of curiosity, what'd you pay?  After a very quick search the only Arcadia VF-4s I could find were priced 2-3x the HMR (though prices for various VF-1s seem more reasonable).

I'm most interested in having at least one VF-1 (probably Fokker's VF-1S), a VF-4, VF-17F, VF-22 (Diamond Force), YF-19, VF-19S, and VF-11 (I prefer C, but I'll take B).  Maybe a VF-5000.  Dunno which of those are even available (though I saw that the VF-2SS exists in HMR... I'd be tempted).

Edited by mikeszekely

The HMR VF-0s are very nice looking and solid once you've transformed it to your desired mode. Can be fiddly during transformation. Plastic parts are thinner compared to TF toys which gives it a sleeker look compared to the chunky look of TFs.

You can't go wrong with the VF-4 in any scale. The HMR version will be out early next year, I think.