Hey everyone,

I was checking out this Orguss Blu-ray edition on amazon japan but i wasn't able to understand what kind of dubbing and subititles comes with. Some reviews are saying that some of the episodes are dubbed while others have only subtitles(english? not sure about that). Can someone help me out? is it worth buying? Does Orguss (the first one) have a western edition with english subtitles or completely dubbed? Thank you.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Super-Dimension-Century-Orguss-Blu-ray/dp/B0998HL5CG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=99F5VVRELLIU&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.WYhBB-pty3M_Di1t_xTsnKtFdQBK77B8xanPX8Ff8kZQkpyuPQp5kIQvT2yAFl3O5BWiZNKtxvQHRE9Rx0mVAUfPJRYCsoPEVQLF_lFqbsN5_s_wMnj0T1ntuTKIDMYgaWP2RtGSgfBP_aNwFymVLHjgXMNRdFspVUcBLX-FpCatDldVDB7invZ_dfQELNIIKTHZqJKMTsB6HvAi87E-uKv-F5gYeM0ASvEZ_4az1ZIbyFTkD86QF24uAKljLZkusMjL_QsBRknf2hkGPo3n8qT60H-31i8N_36jOuA-oW8.i526UKh62OlccIM83dA4MpRG8fwZZ5zwpDltae2Vn9Y&dib_tag=se&keywords=orguss&qid=1717942159&sprefix=orguss%2Caps%2C935&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&smid=A2LMLRIGIUUU2N

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

Hey everyone,

I was checking out this Orguss Blu-ray edition on amazon japan but i wasn't able to understand what kind of dubbing and subititles comes with. Some reviews are saying that some of the episodes are dubbed while others have only subtitles(english? not sure about that). Can someone help me out? is it worth buying? Does Orguss (the first one) have a western edition with english subtitles or completely dubbed? Thank you.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Super-Dimension-Century-Orguss-Blu-ray/dp/B0998HL5CG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=99F5VVRELLIU&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.WYhBB-pty3M_Di1t_xTsnKtFdQBK77B8xanPX8Ff8kZQkpyuPQp5kIQvT2yAFl3O5BWiZNKtxvQHRE9Rx0mVAUfPJRYCsoPEVQLF_lFqbsN5_s_wMnj0T1ntuTKIDMYgaWP2RtGSgfBP_aNwFymVLHjgXMNRdFspVUcBLX-FpCatDldVDB7invZ_dfQELNIIKTHZqJKMTsB6HvAi87E-uKv-F5gYeM0ASvEZ_4az1ZIbyFTkD86QF24uAKljLZkusMjL_QsBRknf2hkGPo3n8qT60H-31i8N_36jOuA-oW8.i526UKh62OlccIM83dA4MpRG8fwZZ5zwpDltae2Vn9Y&dib_tag=se&keywords=orguss&qid=1717942159&sprefix=orguss%2Caps%2C935&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&smid=A2LMLRIGIUUU2N

They dubbed the first few episodes, but I guess the original company doing the localization had some major issues and never finished. All episodes are subbed through, just pick the subtitled option 

Edited by Big s

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Robin-11 said:

Hey everyone,

That is the same Discotek item as the US one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0998HL5CG

Only the first 17 episodes of it had the english-dubs from the very early 90's.

All episodes have english-subs, tho. 

edit: Here's a pic of the language details on the sleeve:

IMG_3115.JPG.7f2f10e8d8bbd650dbc0aca805fda932.JPG

Why are you trying to get it from Amz-JP, again? 

It's more expsnsive to import it from amz-jp than getting the same item from amzn-usa:

The actual japanese-versions have long been out of print and were even more  expensive and do not contain  subs nor dubs, iirc:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B010PXFVV4

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B00E90XIMY

Edited by treatment
added pic

Thank you for your answers. That's great, perfect gift for my upcoming birthday next month. In italy we got Orguss II dubbed but the original series was never imported. I know, weird. The only reason i was looking at amazon japan it's because i had no clue it was also available on .com. The price would be very similar, with the yen so low it's a great deal anyway. Thank you both, for your input. You made my day!

• 3 weeks later...

So i got the blu ray set from Amazon JP but apparently is region locked, despite on the description there is written the exact opposite. So it seems like i need a Region free or a region 2 blu ray player because the discs won't work on my european PS4. So upset right now. Any suggestion on where to find one at a (very) affordable price?

30 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

So i got the blu ray set from Amazon JP but apparently is region locked, despite on the description there is written the exact opposite. So it seems like i need a Region free or a region 2 blu ray player because the discs won't work on my european PS4. So upset right now. Any suggestion on where to find one at a (very) affordable price?

If you plan on watching it all in one go, I've read (but not tried) that you can change your region on the PS4 up to 4 times.  It should ask you upon inserting the disc and attempting to play it, but it might be buried in settings.  Just found the instructions online:

Step 1. Open your PlayStation, and click the control panel icon.

Step 2. Navigate to System and Maintenance > Device Manager > DVD/CD-ROM.

Step 3. Open the Device Properties windows and choose the DVD Region option.

Step 4. Select a number according to your DVD region code.

Change DVD region code of PS4
For some PS4 models, after you insert the DVD and try to play it, you shall see the following notice: "To play this DVD, change the DVD region code of the PS4" (see screenshot below).

Altert to Change DVD region on PS4
Hit Next until you see the region map.
When you are scrolling between region number 1-6, the corresponding region will be highlighted on the map.
You can also refer to the chart above on the DVD region list.

Edited by Pontus

16 minutes ago, Robin-11 said:

The DiscoTek set? Yeah. It is specifically Region-A only, per their sleeve/covers:

image.png.69465df5e7579b0f6eb7dcf9b048c889.png

However and iirc, the PS4 console itself should be region-free and should be able to play it.  Only your PS-account is region-locked.

So, can you make another account on your console and have that account set to US instead?

9 hours ago, treatment said:

The DiscoTek set? Yeah. It is specifically Region-A only, per their sleeve/covers:

image.png.69465df5e7579b0f6eb7dcf9b048c889.png

However and iirc, the PS4 console itself should be region-free and should be able to play it.  Only your PS-account is region-locked.

So, can you make another account on your console and have that account set to US instead?

In the case of DVD/Bluray playback, the PS4 is region locked regardless of what region you make your account in. 

10 hours ago, Beltane70 said:

In the case of DVD/Bluray playback, the PS4 is region locked regardless of what region you make your account in. 

I think it was the 2or3 that didn’t have a region block on movies. I remember that might’ve been the reason I kept one of those for a long while after upgrading. I know the blocked the games, but dvds seemed fine.
I  remember using a goofy trick with the ps1 for playing Japanese region video games that required a trimmed q tip to hold the lid open and awkward disc swapping but that was a pain in the rear

On 6/28/2024 at 1:31 PM, Big s said:

I think it was the 2or3 that didn’t have a region block on movies. I remember that might’ve been the reason I kept one of those for a long while after upgrading. I know the blocked the games, but dvds seemed fine.
I  remember using a goofy trick with the ps1 for playing Japanese region video games that required a trimmed q tip to hold the lid open and awkward disc swapping but that was a pain in the rear

For my PS1 I used a spring for the same purpose for playing import games. I know DVDs were region locked on the PS2, so maybe it was the 3 that didn’t do it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Photos from HJWeb. Yes, I have to admit I prefer the Renewal color and the new hand. But if they're not so expensive and I have extra budget for it, I would've preordered it by now. Also, it's going to be hard to sell an already niche toy when there's already an upcoming 'renewal'. Oh well.

04-15.jpg.742e93a60d59b3cf48cd93c550df9184.jpg

05-15.jpg.1abd6d28ce58336e829768fc0b9051b9.jpg

03-16.jpg.434decc084108dcd8f9e720f6aab928f.jpg

07-12.jpg.18f3b350c1b8905e65cceb150d3f40aa.jpg

02-14.jpg.d9358ab623ae3f0c6efc3e86dfb3d63f.jpg

01-16.jpg.02825755e2ae8cfd6b8b57dea19b5032.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This HiMetal Orgroid packs a lot detail in such a small package. All of HiMetal lineup from the Dougram collection from several years back to all the Macross valks and destroids is a testament to Bandai’s commitment to the demands of the franchises respective fandom. Orguss is one of those obscure 80s animated series that makes you go WTF was that and seeing for the first time around the early oughts, I can appreciate its quirkiness and in respect of it’s world building aspects. Their 4 modes is unique especially the tank and seeing it depicted in their anime intro left me kinda baffled as to why you would sacrifice all the agility to a lumbering tank. Orguss Trailer 

I was anticipating for that mode to be a hover tank but rather than the animation team taking it as a literal tank never bothered taking the possibilities to “eleven” by replicating it like the Russian Ekranoplan which is a ground effect vehicle.

It’s one of many of those WTF moments where they literally took the word cockpit and made the pilot sit in the robot’s codpiece. Lots of suggestive poses for the female pilots to present themselves while sitting in their vehicles and whatever tentacle like appendages protruding from the back of their heads to indicate some emotional state of which the character is undergoing at that moment. So, yeah the tank does not make sense to me and all of what was mentioned but I could appreciate the weirdness factor.

With that said, the tank mode for the HiMetal series is the weakest out of the four when compared to Megahouse’s HiSpec which was rock solid. For one, the crucial difference is that the Megahouse version provided all of the tabs to secure the mode as well as an adapter for the stand to make this mode stable when compared compared to Bandai’s offering which offered no adapter for the stand.IMG_9841.jpeg.b865b471a211a82e99646f2172d7e40d.jpegIMG_9841.jpeg.b865b471a211a82e99646f2172d7e40d.jpeg

IMG_9833.jpeg

IMG_9834.jpeg

IMG_9835.jpeg

IMG_9836.jpeg

IMG_9837.jpeg

IMG_9838.jpeg

IMG_9839.jpeg

IMG_9840.jpeg

IMG_9830.jpeg

18 minutes ago, graphic revolt said:

This HiMetal Orgroid packs a lot detail in such a small package. All of HiMetal lineup from the Dougram collection from several years back to all the Macross valks and destroids is a testament to Bandai’s commitment to the demands of the franchises respective fandom. Orguss is one of those obscure 80s animated series that makes you go WTF was that and seeing for the first time around the early oughts, I can appreciate its quirkiness and in respect of it’s world building aspects. Their 4 modes is unique especially the tank and seeing it depicted in their anime intro left me kinda baffled as to why you would sacrifice all the agility to a lumbering tank. Orguss Trailer 

I was anticipating for that mode to be a hover tank but rather than the animation team taking it as a literal tank never bothered taking the possibilities to “eleven” by replicating it like the Russian Ekranoplan which is a ground effect vehicle.

It’s one of many of those WTF moments where they literally took the word cockpit and made the pilot sit in the robot’s codpiece. Lots of suggestive poses for the female pilots to present themselves while sitting in their vehicles and whatever tentacle like appendages protruding from the back of their heads to indicate some emotional state of which the character is undergoing at that moment. So, yeah the tank does not make sense to me and all of what was mentioned but I could appreciate the weirdness factor.

With that said, the tank mode for the HiMetal series is the weakest out of the four when compared to Megahouse’s HiSpec which was rock solid. For one, the crucial difference is that the Megahouse version provided all of the tabs to secure the mode as well as an adapter for the stand to make this mode stable when compared compared to Bandai’s offering which offered no adapter for the stand.IMG_9841.jpeg.b865b471a211a82e99646f2172d7e40d.jpegIMG_9841.jpeg.b865b471a211a82e99646f2172d7e40d.jpeg

IMG_9833.jpeg

IMG_9834.jpeg

IMG_9835.jpeg

IMG_9836.jpeg

IMG_9837.jpeg

IMG_9838.jpeg

IMG_9839.jpeg

IMG_9840.jpeg

IMG_9830.jpeg

Glorious display! The Hi-Metal Orgroid is a great toy and well worth the money.

Edited by shazam

24 minutes ago, graphic revolt said:

IMG_9834.jpeg

IMG_9840.jpeg

Wow! Four figures for all modes for both models. Nice! :wub: :good:  I wonder if you have a fifth for you know -- 'just in case'. :rolleyes:

Any chance you have the same setup with a Takatoku Orguss?

20 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Wow! Four figures for all modes for both models. Nice! :wub: :good:  I wonder if you have a fifth for you know -- 'just in case'. :rolleyes:

Any chance you have the same setup with a Takatoku Orguss?

Never keep them in the box. I learned my lesson with Beagle’s Ride Armor Stig (Scotty B) the red dye on the cloth had peeled away while it was still MIB. Some of my McFarlane Toys Mint on Card had yellowed over time and they were stowed away. So yeah no.

1 hour ago, graphic revolt said:

Never keep them in the box. I learned my lesson with Beagle’s Ride Armor Stig (Scotty B) the red dye on the cloth had peeled away while it was still MIB. Some of my McFarlane Toys Mint on Card had yellowed over time and they were stowed away. So yeah no.

Same here. We need to enjoy and appreciate them, right? :good: 

I actually started disposing boxes as well. ;) 

• 5 weeks later...

I'm just trying to play around with the colors of the Olson that I have based on the upcoming Renewal Ver and see if I really need to get one. :rolleyes:

olson_recolor_NO3LJM.jpg.19a91cd9442ee86a35f93de244a6ebdc.jpg

Boy, the new light color looks good with the rest. :wub: 

Now I don't know what to do. :unsure:

4 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I'm just trying to play around with the colors of the Olson that I have based on the upcoming Renewal Ver and see if I really need to get one. :rolleyes:

olson_recolor_NO3LJM.jpg.19a91cd9442ee86a35f93de244a6ebdc.jpg

Boy, the new light color looks good with the rest. :wub: 

Now I don't know what to do. :unsure:

Love these figures. The light blue version looks the best for sure. 

9 minutes ago, shazam said:

Love these figures. The light blue version looks the best for sure. 

I know right. :good:

However, Orguss are so niche it's going to be hard selling it knowing there's a new version now. :unsure: