Making any Photo Digitial

Guest jin4

Some people are going to read this and say, "duh!" But I always wondered the difference between the two. I have to convert a lot of Power Point drawings to a more common format like JPEG, but I'll be changing that to PNG to resolve a lot fo the clarity issues I had to put up with. Thanks Jin! - MT

JPEG is annoying because it became the standard format for such things as digital cameras and camera phones - as what is being saved is only something around 10 to 25% of what the camera actually perceives.

However, JPEG is handy, in that it keeps download speeds high and bandwidth low (not that anyone gives those things much of a thought anymore). It's also usefully for publicly releasing images on the internet (where its lossy nature is actually a blessing, as it improves ones ability to verify that they are the owner (aka: creator) of the image [in the sense that its easy to downgrade an image into JPEG, but quite difficult to upgrade JPEG into a higher resolution lossless format]).

Anyhow, MechTech, what about exporting those images into PDF? PDF saves vector graphics (including text) as a math equation (more or less). Which could produce a smaller file size than PNG (and other lossless formats).

Edited by sketchley

Thanks Sketchley. The only problem is others being able to easily import it into their works. They have to cut and paste from the PDF versus just right clicking and pasting. But for other types of work the PDF is great! Thanks for your tip! - MT

Do you know what those others are using? If so, you might be able to send the image to them in its native file format (along with any non-standard fonts that you've used in creating it) for the best image results.

Eg: as the graphic designer of a company I worked at way back when, I regularly sent the image files for bottle labels (the glamorous life of graphic designer, eh) in the native Illustrator format to the label or sleeve printers.

Of course, if you're using a lot of (or only!) raster graphics, than PNG and the other lossless formats are still probably the more convenient option.