Who's your favorite Soul Calibur II Character

Vostok 7

• 5 weeks later...

After using Kilik and Ivy for a long time, I started practicing with Yunsung. He may not be as skilled with the sword as Hwang, but his tae-kwon-do kicks are highly effective.

And you guys are right - the English dub sucks. Wendee Lee (Faye in Cowboy Bebop, Angel in The Big O) has no business voicing Xianghua. I love the Japanese cast, especially since it has a solid lineup:

- Souichiro Hoshi (Kira in Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, Kazuma in s-CRY-ed) as Kilik

- Aya Hisakawa (Skuld in Ah! My Goddess, Haruka in RahXephon) as Xianghua

- Reiko Takagi (Kaolla Su in Love Hina) as Cassandra

- Fujiko Takimoto (Suguru in Mahoromatic, Suguru in Gravitation) as Taki

- Yumi Touma (Urd in Ah! My Goddess, Deedlit in Record of Lodoss War) as Ivy

- Nobuyuki Hiiyama (Guy in King of Braves GaoGaiGar, Shiro in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team) as Nightmare, Yoshimitsu and Link

- Yukari Tamura (Ichigo in Please Teacher! and Onegai Twins, Haruhi and Natsumi in R.O.D -The TV-) as Talim

- Nobutoshi Canna (Basara in Macross 7, Guts in Berserk) as Maxi

- Yasunori Masutani (Syllibus in Armitage III) as Raphael

- Kousuke Toriumi (Hayate in Pretear, Heisenberg in Di Gi Charat) as Yunsung

- Michiko Neya (Nancy in Read Or Die and R.O.D -The TV-, Melissa in Full Metal Panic!) as Sophitia

- Houko Kuwashima (Kirika in NOIR, Quon in RahXephon) as Seung Mina

- Ryuzaburo Otomo (Ivanov in Macross Zero) as Astaroth

- Akio Ohtsuka (Gato in Mobile Suit Gundam 0083, Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid 1-2) as Spawn

- Daisuke Gouri (Basque Ohm in Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Edmond Honda in Street Fighter II: The Movie) as Heihachi

And you guys are right - the English dub sucks. Wendee Lee (Faye in Cowboy Bebop, Angel in The Big O) has no business voicing Xianghua. I love the Japanese cast, especially since it has a solid lineup:

I actualy like the raspy tone Nightmare's English voice has, makes him sound more evil than his Japanese voice. Since I use him a lot I just leave it on the English default.

i still think Maxi is one of the best, the reason why i dont end up on my ass when i play as him is because when i commit to a move, i follow up with one that links really well with the first one if the first move fails. I just use his speed to his advantage, it often catches most of my friends off guard, except for the one that just uses Xianghua's cheap shot.

Heh heh... I love Xianghua.... she's my fourth character, but I usually do better with her than I do with Seung Mina....

I agree on the Japanese vocal cast. I remember watching the credits for the first time, and seeing all those names, and was just like.... daaaamn... sweet.

Aya Hisakawa is one of my favorite seiyuu of all time, anyway....

I blew through Weapon Master missions mostly as Heihachi and Raphael. However, these days I find Talim and Cassandra to be incredibly powerful characters.

Debateably, Cassandra is the best player in the game. She's got range, and is good at multiple ranges, level games, a great wakeup game, unpredictability, and does great damage.

It's too damn bad I can't play her worth a crap....

I've always got my Ivy, though... and Astaroth... and Seung Mina.... and Xianghua....

if you'd played SCII you'll also notice a speed difference between all of nightmare's costumes and weapons you use. me and a friend of mine noticed that nightmare in the siegfried outfit was noticably faster than the other two...and this is using the default soul edge sword for all 3

i wish they made siegfried another character instead of just just having him as nightmare but in a different outfit.

*slap*

its just the weapons and how long you're holding the buttons.

I blew through Weapon Master missions mostly as Heihachi and Raphael.  However, these days I find Talim and Cassandra to be incredibly powerful characters.

Debateably, Cassandra is the best player in the game. She's got range, and is good at multiple ranges, level games, a great wakeup game, unpredictability, and does great damage.

It's too damn bad I can't play her worth a crap....

I've always got my Ivy, though... and Astaroth... and Seung Mina.... and Xianghua....

Well its almost universally agreed upon that Cervantes is still the best character in the game. He's a bastid, but guardimpact.com rates Mitsurugi(my dude) as #3, so I don't worry. :)

Well its almost universally agreed upon that Cervantes is still the best character in the game. He's a bastid, but guardimpact.com rates Mitsurugi(my dude) as #3, so I don't worry. :)

I've seen both be extremely nasty, and I'd say Cassandra is pretty damn good... but I'd probably agree with you that Cervantes is the best. When I was in Japan last year, I had the honor of being beat down extremely violently by a pro Cervantes player... I was playing Astaroth at the time, but man... it was brutal.

Cervantes is certainly a bastid....

Not sure I agree with their rating of characters, though... I'm not quite clear on how they created the chart, and the thread on soulcalibur.com doesn't exist anymore...

Edited by gnollman

I've seen both be extremely nasty, and I'd say Cassandra is pretty damn good... but I'd probably agree with you that Cervantes is the best. When I was in Japan last year, I had the honor of being beat down extremely violently by a pro Cervantes player... I was playing Astaroth at the time, but man... it was brutal.

Cervantes is certainly a bastid....

Not sure I agree with their rating of characters, though... I'm not quite clear on how they created the chart, and the thread on soulcalibur.com doesn't exist anymore...

Well, charts do not REALLY matter. What matters is Cervantes is usually on top of them. His range/speed/power are all jacked up. But yeah.. .he is not as cheap as in Soul Edge. People think that because Yunsung is on the bottom that he sucks, I had to explain to one of my friends over and over that being last on a list doesn't mean that you suck, it just means you're at a slight disadvantage to others... I mean Yunsung kicks ass a lot!

I'm really leaning towards Talim now. I got Seung Mina and I think she sucks. Way to slow... Nice distance, but if you don't know her moves you get stuck in crappy ones that get you pw3nd real easy.

I'm starting to prefer Talim over Taki because Taki just has speed... Talim has an excellent combination of speed and damage that makes her a great character IMO. I got her crescent blades and she's practiaclly unstoppable now. What I like about her is that her moves flow into each other, so with well timed and placed moves, you can take down your enemy in no time. Taki is fast, but her moves aren't natural to me, they don't flow as well as Talim's, plus, I think Talim does a bit more damage.

I desparately need to learn how to GI though. I'm too slow to figure it out.

Vostok 7

Ack.... those double crescent blades are nuts....

I prefer to play without the extra weapons, though... I generally don't play the extra modes, anyway. I'm usually playing Survival, Time attack (still haven't beaten extreme), or vs. CPU in practice mode....

I'd love to do more PvP action, but few arcades around here carry it, and it seems that very few people are willing to play me, either.... mebbe I should get to a tourney, but I'm not exactly sure of my skill level....

I desparately need to learn how to GI though. I'm too slow to figure it out.

GI is something that can get you in a good bit of trouble even if you do use it.... especially if you're playing a person who has a better GI game than you do.... I tend to ignore GI (to my detriment, I admit) and use Parry more often...

Edited by gnollman

I dont' like the game but I love Ivy's look :lol:

I dont' like the game but I love Ivy's look :lol:

Doesn't everyone? :p

Too bad she's too slow to be a real killer character. She's good and all (I love her range and throws) but she's just a touch too slow for my tastes.

I'm a really really fast player... I like to get in and get out before I can take much damage. Talim does that perfectly.

I hate Ashteroth the most... First time I played I did get raped by Cervantes and Lizardman, but now they're not that hard. Ashteroth and Necrid can rape me if I don't get inside of them as quick as possible... Necrid's probably the toughest in that case since he's got a better up close game than Ashteroth.

Vostok 7

Too bad she's too slow to be a real killer character. She's good and all (I love her range and throws) but she's just a touch too slow for my tastes.

Ivy's got some quick moves to keep opponents off her back, but if you can get her rolling, the Ivy blade shreds opponents. Especially if you know how to buffer your moves and watch your opponent for openings.

Also here's a tip for those learning Guard Impacts -

Forward + G is usually going to be more successful than Back + G. Why? Because it deflects high and medium attacks(usually the most common) AND it deflects throws. The other one may look cooler(at least I think so), but its not nearly as useful.

Isn't that the truth... if you can get Ivy's whip out and moving, it's game over for beginners and a lot of intermediate players. Players who can GI will jerk you out of it pretty quick, though...

Ivy actually has a surprising number of pretty quick moves... her quick knee (f, K) is a move I use a lot to break up the faster characters. That and b, B.....

Personally I like stepping on their feet and grinding them under my boot.

(down, then k)

That is a great move... nothing like laying the beat-down on some scrub and then stomping on them.... always a crowd pleaser, too....

The move is K, down, though....

Edited by gnollman

What book are you guys getting these SC pictures from?  Very nice....

The one I posted up came from the art book they gave out for free (The Art of Soul Calibur II) to people who reseved a copy soon enough.

I just missed that one at GameStop too...

Well time to search E-Bay...

Heh heh... one of the main rules of life...

1.  There is always someone bigger, stronger, and faster than you are.

You just haven't met them yet....

...and that's why I place the "almost unbeatable" words on it...

I can't believe that Cervantes is considered the best player I thought talim was the fastest and hardest to reach...