1 hour ago, ichido reichan said:

I have plans to translate Macross VFX-2 fully in english, also I'm already in the works to translate Macross 7 Gameboy color. Translating Macross 30 is a possibility only if the previous two projects aren't complete failures among fans. (a.k.a no donations)

I can understand translating a GameBoy and PSX Games as emulators for these are easy to come by and todays computers handle them quite well. But how would you go about making a PS3 Game? Even if you translate it, how would you play it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 12:48 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

No, it's right here on MacrossWorld:

I haven't played this game since my PS3 died a few years ago.  Got a little tired of asking the wife to translate every page and never did finish the game.  

Might go out and find a cheap PS3 just to play it again, now that there are translations, thanks!

• 2 years later...

I took the time to translate the novel version of "Macross 30".

It sits at 428 pages, but that is mainly from sticking with the formatting of the original book. Had I gone with the standard English novel format, it would easily have shaved off a hundred pages.

If anyone is interested, you can find the novel translation here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Umcj8GmwnVdrAFRem8glnD_TLSOFFkYIuGNmIvQyGDs/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Inferno's caress

On 3/27/2022 at 9:04 AM, Inferno's caress said:

I took the time to translate the novel version of "Macross 30".

It sits at 428 pages, but that is mainly from sticking with the formatting of the original book. Had I gone with the standard English novel format, it would easily have shaved off a hundred pages.

If anyone is interested, you can find the novel translation here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y7k2Dv2CPWVH_KtXsgzSJDc3DS3yLC5gYsLCU6lJhDs/edit?usp=sharing

that is awesome man! with my limited japanese I was only barely able to figure out what was going on in Macross 30. Have to read this :)

4 hours ago, Urashiman said:

that is awesome man! with my limited japanese I was only barely able to figure out what was going on in Macross 30. Have to read this :)

Hope that you enjoy it.

It is not quite the same as the game. Although, they were both written by the same guy, Ukyo Kodachi. He also wrote the 'Frontier' and 'The Ride' novels. He incorporates those as Grace comes from the 'Frontier' novel timeline, and 'The Ride' characters Maris Stella (loli cyborg pilot of the YF-27-5) and Brunnhilde (the sentient control AI of Chelsea Scarlett's Variable Fighters) are in the 'Macross 30' novel.

Edited by Inferno's caress

• 2 years later...

It's 2024. Armed with Red-Shoulders Translation guide + Google Translate + YouTube Playthroughs + this community:  I am finally ready to play Macross 30 on PS3.

After about an hour messing around, I've gotten the hang of this game and can navigate most of the menus.  I use Google Translate to capture some of the menu/missions dialog.  This game is huge, it's got very fun missions, some decent variety, and excellent Macross fanservice.  The racing missions are tough - does anyone have advice on them?

Translation Guide Link:  https://red-shoulders.blogspot.com/2013/03/macross-30-translation-guide_2261.html

Also, does anyone have a high resolution photo/screenshot of the collectors edition cover art?  I'd like to replace the PS3 game cover with all the singers on it. 

Cheers

RPCS3 and Emudeck for steam deck. Ton of videos on how to set it up. 

It’s been working pretty good for me. Initially I would get crashes all the time, but it’s been really stable lately with new updates. Nothing beats the original of course, but it’s fun to have it on the go. 

Good to know.  I've got multiple copies, but my old PS3 is showing its years... and replacing it with emulation seems like a good way to replay the game into the future.👍

I thought I should give it a try and the results were not what I expected.

It randomly crashes, resolution scaling doesn't work, frame rate can dip to the low 20's and frame time can reach into the hundreds.

That's been my experience with PS3 emulation.  Crashes, nothing stable.  When I try RPCS3 on my laptop, it crashes.  I don't have a powerful laptop though.

Sounds like Mcfly50 got his working on Steam deck.  

Luckily my PS3 is going strong and playing it there is just dandy.

When I first started with it on steam deck it would crash, then you played with settings (thank you steam forums) then it would run. Then sometimes I would get a pretty poor load (like frame rate drops or total blue tint on everything). I would reload it again and boom…worked well.

BL, I’m not saying it’s perfect yet, but it was eventually definitely playable for me and it has gotten much better with the more updates made by RPCS3. Heck, I’ve even seen MGS4 finally working on emulation. Maybe when steam deck 2 comes out someday it will be perfect. 

I hope they do a release for present day consoles for this game with possibility of subtitles. Never played the game, but loved the trio of PSP Macross Frontier games.

Twich

I never tried any of the PSP ones, but based on what I read of the controls, Macross 30 was a huge leap in functionality.

I did try the DYRL game included in the Blu-Ray release, and that felt very frustrating to play in comparison, but the combat for 30 was much better.  I think the only "bad" part was that the battroid sections never felt as natural as any of the fighter or gerwalk sections, and it never felt like you had a reason to use battroid, unless it was a specifically contrived requirement that forced you to use it.

I need to figure out how to make this emulator work now that I have a non-12-year-old gaming laptop.  I never owned a Sony console and have never played it.  My only exposure are the toys based off of the game.

On 6/16/2024 at 1:32 AM, Mommar said:

Hmm, I only get either a black screen or it generates a new save file, picks a difficulty level and then restarts the intro/start menu.

I'm playing on PS3.  I haven't had much success with emulation of this game.

I put together a video showing all the Veritech Fighters you can unlock in the game.

Once you beat the game and play NG+, you get access to Zentradi mechs too.

Edited by spacemanspiff

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2024 at 12:00 PM, Chronocidal said:

I never tried any of the PSP ones, but based on what I read of the controls, Macross 30 was a huge leap in functionality.

I did try the DYRL game included in the Blu-Ray release, and that felt very frustrating to play in comparison, but the combat for 30 was much better.  I think the only "bad" part was that the battroid sections never felt as natural as any of the fighter or gerwalk sections, and it never felt like you had a reason to use battroid, unless it was a specifically contrived requirement that forced you to use it.

Need the Macross 30 engine with a game that follows SDF series. Infantry coat in South Ataria island, inside the Macross, Going through Zentraedi ships in Battroid and stealing uniforms from some poor guy trying to use the toilet,  etc.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey all, just thought I'd document here that I was having a decent experience with emulating this on RPCS3 version 0.0.32-16875-3b36df48, which seems to be about a few days old. Functionality has gone up and down over the years, with some iterations breaking the game, so it seemed prudent to write it down somewhere.

On 8/31/2024 at 8:05 AM, RangerKarl said:

Hey all, just thought I'd document here that I was having a decent experience with emulating this on RPCS3 version 0.0.32-16875-3b36df48, which seems to be about a few days old. Functionality has gone up and down over the years, with some iterations breaking the game, so it seemed prudent to write it down somewhere.

Funny you bring this up. I loved the PSP games, but when M30 came out I was a bad point financially and couldn't justify importing it. On a whim I finally gave RPCS3 a go. I've had some minor graphical glitches, no audio during cutscenes, and a few outright crashes (save often!), but I've managed to put over 30 hours in so far.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been replaying through my surround on my 85 inch TV and enjoying it much more.  Need to complete my Ultimate re-run to go for the Platinum trophy. Not anticipating a good time with some of those spammy boss fights, especially the 2nd Kamjin battleship. 

This is making me want a new Macross 40/45 game for PS5, though.  No artificially low atmosphere ceiling (want to do that Isamu dash to orbit and then free fall in Battroid).  Space travel and might as well as add interstellar to boot (Fold boosters and capital ship menu travel, similar to Mac 30 for latter) but perhaps a starmap selection.  Some sort of instanced 1 to 1 galaxy map like Elite Dangerous or No Man Sky, etc.  Bring in capital ship combat a mix of instanced set pieces and letting valkyries attack individual turrets, boarding them, attacking reactors or shooting Bodolza in the face, etc).  

Individual valks should have their own flight models and characteristics.  One disappointment from Mac 30 was that Battroid in VF-19 and VF-22, which should be at least as fast and maneuverable in Battroid as a VF-1 in Fighter (or at least Gerwalk). Energy weapons on valkyries should have no ammo cap (can have similar recharge/reload/cooldown mechanism) - head lasers, wing roots on VF-19, but gunpods definitely should not be limited, though perhaps this could be linked to difficulty (Easy - as is, normal - limited, though not 'realistic' while hard should be very limited to the real published numbers) and magazine change introduced with YF-19 was a feature of the design.  Most players would want to carefully ration their gunpods and rely more on their lasers otherwise.  

Have play modes where the players could control/command an expeditionary fleet (the 42 or 45th or whatever?), create names and logos and name the captain, pick their main, valkyrie types and have to manage the resources of their fleets.  A reason to pick VF-11Cs and carefully decide to upgrade to VF-19 and/or VF-171, etc. Pick special forces valkyries, use Project M / Sound Force / Jamming Birds for Minmay attacks for Culture Shock or rely on Macross cannons reaction weapons and Colonies like Earth and Eden would have dynamic zones of influences along with Bodol-zer command ships with economies (exports/imports). Players could send squadrons for battles which could be calculated or fly there and participate with their own 3rd person control of valkyries in normal game play.  Random chances of running into Protoculture ruins, aliens like the Zola (with their zones of influence and trade, etc)