The Raid

I've been waiting for several months to see the Indonesian action film The Raid and I am very pleased to say it was worth the wait. In fact, I'd go so far as the say this is the only action film in the past few years that has been worth the wait.

the-raid.jpg

http://en.wikipedia....aid:_Redemption

The setup is initially a simple but totally compelling plot: 20 cops are charged with raiding an apartment complex in a slum in Jakarta. Filled with criminals of all sort, it's long been an unassailable fortress and once things go awry, the police are trapped inside with almost no hope of escape. I can best describe The Raid as the finest example of a truly proper action film. The flick has it all: almost non-stop action, guns, knives, fists, feet and some of the most cringe-inducing deaths that have ever been seen on film. Better still, the acting is solid, the story offers several genuine surprises, the visuals are amazing and the soundtrack has as much punch as the fights. The fight sequences are so memorable and vicious, you can't wait to watch them again and grow your appreciation of the style and effort. This movie is the complete package and leaves you with that all too rare feeling of true excitment.

Without a doubt, The Raid is an instant action classic. Even having just seen it, this film already ranks among my favorite action films of all time. Yes, it is that good. This film has my highest recommendation possible.

Edited by Mr March

Perhaps that's true. What I am hoping is that a movie like The Raid will motivate domestic filmakers to find their balls again. No disrespect intended to the girls, but it says something about the guys when the last good North American-made action film was directed by a woman.

Edited by Mr March