All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I decided to pick up Gundam Breaker 4.  Only a few missions in, but here's my early impressions:

Good: Way better than New Gundam Breaker...

Bad: ...but not as good as Gundam Breaker 3.

Ugly: I bought it on Steam, and my main display is a 32:9 5120x1440 ultra-wide OLED.  And, what with Bandai's proclivity to develop primarily for console, the game really wants you to have a 16:9 display, but unless you play in a window (where it drops to 720p) it also insists that you play in desktop resolution.  In my case, the game decided that the best way to get from 16:9 to 32:9 is to drawn the full width of the monitor and simply cut the top and bottom of the screen off.  Not only could I not see half of what was going on, I actually couldn't see basic HUD elements.  I was eventually able to get the game into a more playable state by first going to the Nvidia Control Panel and, under "adjust desktop size and position," change the scaling from "aspect ratio" to "no scaling" and checking the box where it says "override the scaling mode set by games and programs."  Then I went into the game's config file and manually edited the resolution settings to 2560x1440.  Now when I launch the game I have a 16:9 image that fills the vertical height of my display and simply leaves the sides black.

So I was really looking forward to the PS5 Pro announcement both replacing my old PS4 Pro and my ancient gaming PC (the phone I‘m typing this post with is probably magnitudes better than my PC)

But damn, what a letdown. $700/€800, no disc drive, same old ginormous, ugly box.

I would have been ok with the price if it came with a disc drive and had a slimmer design (similar to the PS4 to PS4 Pro).

I think I would rather buy a new gaming PC instead of this.

Disappointing:  https://www.tomshardware.com/video-games/console-gaming/ps5-pro-confirmed-new-playstation-will-cost-dollar69999-on-november-5-with-larger-gpu-and-pssr-upscaling

image.jpeg.b666767ebe67d19ee93de9fea724f47a.jpeg

Edited by Scyla

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

I'm old. I think my gaming console day will end with PS5.

I even told my 15 year old son that by the moment PS6 comes out, he's probably working part time or something. Then he can sponsor it.

Consoles have somewhat started becoming more of HTPCs so some folks have opted to use them as more of "entertainment" console. That being said...

I heard this PS5 Pro was coming. 67% price increase for what looks to be a minor spec bump or the equivalent of a higher spec SKU. Yikes. It probably makes no sense to upgrade if you already have a earlier-gen PS5. But even as a new-purchase, you could probably build a equal or better HTPC.

The last console generation I bought into was the PS3/360/Wii, and I think it's just going to stay that way.  I might get a Switch II, just because Nintendo is still a rather unique perspective in the market.

Playstation and XBox consoles at this point though are just glorified PCs with custom UIs, and very few games for either don't wind up being on PC later anyhow.  I'm generally in no rush to play any game, so sticking to one platform to play everything makes much more sense, especially when my primary genre (flight simulation, with or without VR) is something that only exists on PCs to begin with.

36 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

The last console generation I bought into was the PS3/360/Wii, and I think it's just going to stay that way.  I might get a Switch II, just because Nintendo is still a rather unique perspective in the market.

Playstation and XBox consoles at this point though are just glorified PCs with custom UIs, and very few games for either don't wind up being on PC later anyhow.  I'm generally in no rush to play any game, so sticking to one platform to play everything makes much more sense, especially when my primary genre (flight simulation, with or without VR) is something that only exists on PCs to begin with.

I like Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games. And I keep buying Xboxes, but it's because I have Game Pass. That says, I do like when I can play a game on my PC then pick it up where I left off on the Xbox in the living room.

Despite their dominance in the last couple generations, it's PlayStation that I've gone cool on. Most of the games I want are already on PC. The last time I turned my PlayStation on was a year ago, for Spider-Man 2... a game that's likely to wind up on PC eventually.

17 hours ago, Scyla said:

So I was really looking forward to the PS5 Pro announcement both replacing my old PS4 Pro and my ancient gaming PC (the phone I‘m typing this post with is probably magnitudes better than my PC)

But damn, what a letdown. $700/€800, no disc drive, same old ginormous, ugly box.

I would have been ok with the price if it came with a disc drive and had a slimmer design (similar to the PS4 to PS4 Pro).

I think I would rather buy a new gaming PC instead of this.

Disappointing:  https://www.tomshardware.com/video-games/console-gaming/ps5-pro-confirmed-new-playstation-will-cost-dollar69999-on-november-5-with-larger-gpu-and-pssr-upscaling

image.jpeg.b666767ebe67d19ee93de9fea724f47a.jpeg

First time I can think of where an older console getting towards the end of its lifecycle cycle getting a higher price release rather than a lower discount price