The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

So the Maverick F-14 crossover just popped back up on my recommended list, grabbed a second one for making a custom.  Nice to see it making the rounds for people who might have missed it the first time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BSG72H2J?psc=1&smid=A2P4Z3GOIVU92E&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Looks like it's missing the extra hands and volleyball prop, but I'm definitely not going to be missing them. :lol: 

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

So the Maverick F-14 crossover just popped back up on my recommended list, grabbed a second one for making a custom.  Nice to see it making the rounds for people who might have missed it the first time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BSG72H2J?psc=1&smid=A2P4Z3GOIVU92E&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Looks like it's missing the extra hands and volleyball prop, but I'm definitely not going to be missing them. :lol: 

I kind of want to pick up another one myself.  Toyhax has some really nice Roy Fokker Skull Squadron labels.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

I don't know about the robot scale, but the F-14 is close to 1/80th, about 9.5 inches long.

Thanks. An odd bod in a scaled Macross scenario. Mavericks stand alone, apparently.

6 hours ago, Radioguy said:

An odd bod in a scaled Macross scenario. Mavericks stand alone, apparently.

Not if you happen to have any Hi-Metal R toys... 😁

20 minutes ago, tekering said:

Not if you happen to have any Hi-Metal R toys... 😁

Actually, I was thinking of those when I said it. HMR is roughly 1/100, yeah? Mav would seem like Captain America before the jab in that company.

Posted (edited)

Thanks to @DeltaE27 for bringing this to my attention, but the T-Spark stuff is continuing in Japan with a ton of crossovers.

In fact, before the year is out, we'll be having preorders for Megatron Godzilla (Megodzilla?) and Optimus Kiryu (apologies for the crappy images, I'm literally grabbing screenshots from an hour-old YouTube announcement).  EDIT: Preorders this fall, doesn't actually release until next summer.  Sorry for the confusion.

kiryu.png.e8f0e9809567d0fb57063ff55603e50e.png

megodzilla.png.d649804bc352d85d1b76948450a4ae65.png

Kind of weird choices for repaints (and a light remold?), but as a Transformers fan and a Godzilla fan I'm into this.  I just wish they'd put more effort into it.  Like they could have remolded the dino arms on the Grimlock mold to make them look more like Goji's arms, added some spines, etc.  And Laser Op was already hampered by using the Siege legs, it's going to feel extra dated after Commander Optimus hits.

For something a bit fresher, how about a Zoids x Diaclone x Transformers Shield R Optimus in 2025?

shieldprime.png.fd868000aefd283f82828b5b6cc4e74e.png

I'm not into Zoids, but I wouldn't mind having this for my Prime collection.  Maybe Zoids fans would be peeved if the Shield Liger alt mode wasn't blue, but as a Transformers fan I think they missed a beat by not making him white and gold like Lio Convoy.

And hitting closer to home (since this is a Macross board), it's just a silhouette but this is our first hint at a Transformers/Macross 7 Fire Valkyrie crossover, also in 2025.

mac7.png.4971d50dcdba9e4cbf27256c4a75d45b.png

I can't think of a recent mold that has a silhouette like that.  Nor does it have a particularly Fire Valk shape.  I'm curious to see more.

They also announced a Transformers x Monster Hunter, but didn't have anything to show.  The rest of the video is Zoids crossovers (Spider-Man, Monster Hunter, and Patlabor, if you're interested, with the Spidey one being shown in both red & blue and black variants.

Vid's on Youtube here, if you want to watch it yourself.

Edited by mikeszekely

I'm not enough of a transformers fan to recognize shapes in general, but I was kind of wondering what character they would even use for such a crossover.  The first thought I had was something like one of the sound bots (and now that I think of it, Blaster does use the same colors), but I'm mostly wondering if they would go ahead and base him on a decepticon for more jet options.

The other idea was that they could just retool/repaint Armada Starscream into a VF-11, since it's more than halfway there already.

I think it's safe to say that whatever they actually do, it's not going to look much like a fire valk in jet mode. :lol: 

Can one of you transformers fans give me ballpark figure of what to sell a Threezero Nemesis Prime DLX figure for? Supposedly they only ever made 1000 of them and I doubt they are selling for $1100 + tax  (As listed on ebay). WHats a decent price to list it for?

https://www.threezerohk.com/product/nemesis-prime-dlx-scale-collectible-figure-limited-edition-by-threezero/

6 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

For something a bit fresher, how about a Zoids x Diaclone x Transformers Shield R Optimus in 2025?

I don't understand this crossover. "It's Zoids Liger mixed with Battle Convoy mixed with Battle Convoy again... hold on..."

Like... is this a piloted Optimus Prime? Is the Zoids pilot there as a sort of Powermaster support? Zoids are already intelligent machine life, so doesn't this make Prime a combiner? And how do you even DO Diaclone x Transformers in a meaningful sense, particularly with a character that originated as an unaltered Diaclone toy in the first place and has never strayed very far from that origin?!

8 minutes ago, Radioguy said:

I don't think Toho allowed them to go as far as they could with this license; it's not just TT being economical.

This is actually a really good point. Toho is notorious for how tightly it controls it's licensing (I blame that movie with Matthew Broderick that is definitely not a Godzilla movie).

2 hours ago, JB0 said:

And how do you even DO Diaclone x Transformers in a meaningful sense, particularly with a character that originated as an unaltered Diaclone toy in the first place and has never strayed very far from that origin?!

I mean, if you think about it, isn't every time they release a figure like Delta Magnus, Cordon, Riggorus, DK-3 Breaker, etc already a Diaclone x Transformers situation? But I'm not in charge of labeling these Takara crossovers (even if I should be).

4 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I mean, if you think about it, isn't every time they release a figure like Delta Magnus, Cordon, Riggorus, DK-3 Breaker, etc already a Diaclone x Transformers situation? But I'm not in charge of labeling these Takara crossovers (even if I should be).

This just feels weird like "Diaclone Universe Twin Twist", which made no sense and I don't  think ever got anything written to try and justify it.

16 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Thanks to @DeltaE27 for bringing this to my attention, but the T-Spark stuff is continuing in Japan with a ton of crossovers.

In fact, before the year is out, we'll be having Megatron Godzilla (Megodzilla?) doing battle with Optimus Kiryu (apologies for the crappy images, I'm literally grabbing screenshots from an hour-old YouTube announcement).

kiryu.png.e8f0e9809567d0fb57063ff55603e50e.png

megodzilla.png.d649804bc352d85d1b76948450a4ae65.png

Kind of weird choices for repaints (and a light remold?), but as a Transformers fan and a Godzilla fan I'm into this.  I just wish they'd put more effort into it.  Like they could have remolded the dino arms on the Grimlock mold to make them look more like Goji's arms, added some spines, etc.  And Laser Op was already hampered by using the Siege legs, it's going to feel extra dated after Commander Optimus hits.

shieldprime.png.fd868000aefd283f82828b5b6cc4e74e.png

I'm not into Zoids, but I wouldn't mind having this for my Prime collection.  Maybe Zoids fans would be peeved if the Shield Liger alt mode wasn't blue, but as a Transformers fan I think they missed a beat by not making him white and gold like Lio Convoy.

And hitting closer to home (since this is a Macross board), it's just a silhouette but this is our first hint at a Transformers/Macross 7 Fire Valkyrie crossover, also in 2025.

mac7.png.4971d50dcdba9e4cbf27256c4a75d45b.png

I can't think of a recent mold that has a silhouette like that.  Nor does it have a particularly Fire Valk shape.  I'm curious to see more.

They also announced a Transformers x Monster Hunter, but didn't have anything to show.  The rest of the video is Zoids crossovers (Spider-Man, Monster Hunter, and Patlabor, if you're interested, with the Spidey one being shown in both red & blue and black variants.

Vid's on Youtube here, if you want to watch it yourself.

Zero hope at all that this will in any way even come close to the actual VF-19 design, or be anywhere as clean or as elegant. You can already see that the entire forward fuselage is slung on his back, a design trait of exactly zero of Kawamori's valks, especially the VF-19. With licensing possible now in the West by Big West for any Macross series outside of SDF:M, of which Harmony Gold has the rights, they could have simply paid the licensing fees for the M7 designs and a la G1 Jetfire, incorporated yet more Macross designs into the Transformers universe. Primus knows we could do for some actually good jetformers, and when it comes to transforming jets, few do it better than Kawamori. Takara, OTOH, has a pretty dismal track record and this looks like it's keeping with tradition, alas.

Well, I bit the bullet and I bought the SS86 Bumblebee when i said I wouldn't. Had a thought that I'd like something G2-esque and the figure is different enough and cheap enough to use. So I picked one up at a local walmart, rubbed the G1 logo off of it with some IPA and slapped one of my many Autobot G2 logos on him. Now, I could just tear him apart and give him a chrome gold like finish, but naaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. I am tempted though on getting the .01 cent decals from Toyhax but I dunno what other sticker sheets I might want right now. 

40 minutes ago, Black Valkyrie said:

It could be Cyclonus or the Seekers .

I still believe this is a re-shell of Legacy Needlenose. Given the nosecone and forward fuselage that seems to be hanging behind his back: image.png.73fcaea3f72921ab23b3f4cc0326e524.png

The Needlenose’s robot makes almost no use of alt-mode parts.

Kingdom Cyclonus hides the nosecone in his chest.

What gets interpreted as bat ears are probably the head lasers and head fin of the VF-19 Kai head.

The two bumps behind the shoulders of the silhouette are probably the shoulder pads of the original VF-19 resting on top of the engines.

image.jpeg.74f81cc6c51ea050737e00dc6576596e.jpeg
Looking at the alt mode with the legs just hanging below the fuselage you could easily re-shell them to resemble the ones on the VF-19. Also the feet on Needlenose already look like they could be thrusters (not like the ones on the VF-19, more in line with the SV-262).

The biggest problem I see is how to give the VF-19 head fin enough room in the chest cavity and how to remold the chest into something that looks like the mono boop of the VF-19 but also provide enough clearance so the jet lies flat on the ground.

I guess the latter might not be that big of a problem given the robot mode is already a big derivation from the source material and BigWest/Kawamori probably made sure that at least the Fighter-Mode looks proper (although the VF-19 Kai has the most prolific Battroid-Mode in all of Macross).

IMG_2452.png.6aabf2b1c24e7dcb874a336f383e47e3.png

I wonder were the wings go. From the screenshot above it looks like the main wings could be on the legs while the tailfins fold onto the back.

4 hours ago, Scyla said:

Given the nosecone and forward fuselage that seems to be hanging behind his back: 

That's about the only element of Needlenose, though, and by that criteria it could just as easily be Combiner Wars Cyclonus or Silverbolt. Or next year's new Silverbolt, for all we know. 

Honestly, I think it might just be a new mold that doesn't look like the Fire Valkyrie in bot mode because it's not the Fire Valkyrie, it's a crossover (even though I'd be curious to see a Macross Valkyrie with the chunky robust playability of a Transformer...).

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

That's about the only element of Needlenose, though, and by that criteria it could just as easily be Combiner Wars Cyclonus or Silverbolt. Or next year's new Silverbolt, for all we know. 

Honestly, I think it might just be a new mold that doesn't look like the Fire Valkyrie in bot mode because it's not the Fire Valkyrie, it's a crossover (even though I'd be curious to see a Macross Valkyrie with the chunky robust playability of a Transformer...).

That is true but given that the Godzilla homages use rather recent molds I would say CW is not likely. 

Given how little retooling is going on with Godzilla Megatron and Kiryu Optimus I don’t think we will see a complete new mold.

Maybe it is a retool of Maverick (the Top Gun collab) but with the torso 180 degrees rotated around. That would explain the slender silhouette.

I suppose Jetfire was the original VF/TF mashup.

A modern VF/TF crossover seems kinda funny since VFs already transform. I guess this M7 Transformer is just going to be a meh Transformers jet with a VF-19 Kai head and some TF logos?

1 hour ago, danth said:

I suppose Jetfire was the original VF/TF mashup.

A modern VF/TF crossover seems kinda funny since VFs already transform. I guess this M7 Transformer is just going to be a meh Transformers jet with a VF-19 Kai head and some TF logos?

Well, at least it seems to have the VF-19 canards, so that would indicate that the nosecone section will  resemble the source material.

But it will be for sure a robot tucked to the underside of a VF-19 shaped fighter jet.

And it won’t be the Kai or Basara but rather Blaster or Soundwave cosplaying as VF-19 if the Godzilla crossovers are any indication.

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything even remotely "good." :lol: 

I mean, just from the concept.  You're mashing up a line of robots that transform into vehicles.. with a vehicle that transforms into a robot.  There is nothing to "mash-up" about this.  The thing you're combining it with is the thing it already is. :rofl: 

"For my next trick, I'll turn this Swiss army knife into a screwdriver!"

The only "good" way to do this would be to re-style an existing Fire Valk toy with Transformers aesthetics and maybe a head mold.  Otherwise you just suffer the curse of the standard TF jetformer: a robot glued underneath an airplane.