• 2 weeks later...

Will let you know (as spoiler free as possible) after I see it on Saturday. Although I might be kinda starstruck by the fact that Kouichi Yamadera himself will be attending the screening (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))

We await your report on Chapter 3. :D

Edited by westfall

The yamato2199.net update that made me jump out of my chair. New characters, Domel's arrival and... hints of the Comet Empire?

So, even if we don't get to see Yamato 2201 come to fruition (wich, given the success of 2199, is almost a given they'll eventually do it), we will at least get to see the Comet Empire ships in action. First there was the Comet Empire manta-like fighter drifting in the Space Sargasso in episode 10, wich was more of a nod to fans than anything else. But now, in what is apparently a bit of backstory for Domel, in episode 11, it seems we'll get to see him battle none other than Comet Empire cruisers. The images were posted along with the anouncement of episode 11's preview at the forthcoming concert event. Along with the Comet Empire ships, we get to see Domel's battleship (Domelus III, in the original) and 2 Gamilas characters that resemble Hydrun and Barger, 2 of the generals Domel summoned to the Rainbow Galaxy battle.

p_ev_vol02.jpg

http://yamato2199.ne...team/index.html

Edited by westfall

that means the Gamalons and CE are foes in the same vein as Klingons and Romulans (face value only, not applying Trek values). Does that mean the Gamalons could be Earth's future friends? or will events pan out, per the original series?

that is still awesome, regardles

New mecha files update. The mighty Gamilas fleet gets a few more ships. :D

Domelus III

gamirasu_sn07.jpg

Subspace Submarine UX-01

gamirasu_sn08.jpg

Gyperon Class Carrier (Green) - Balgrei

gamirasu_sn09.jpg

Gyperon Class Carrier (Purple) - Ranbea

gamirasu_sn10.jpg

Gyperon Class Carrier (Blue) - Shyuderg

gamirasu_sn11.jpg

Edited by westfall

I like the ships, they look Gamilon like, although the carrier still looks nothing like the one around the Earth.

One thing I disliked from the original show was that the first Gamilon ships we see are alien looking but later ships look more like the Earth ships (especially the carrier), these seem to keep more of the Gamilon asthetic.

I wonder when we get to see the "Space Stuka" redesign.

I like the ships, they look Gamilon like, although the carrier still looks nothing like the one around the Earth.

One thing I disliked from the original show was that the first Gamilon ships we see are alien looking but later ships look more like the Earth ships (especially the carrier), these seem to keep more of the Gamilon asthetic.

I wonder when we get to see the "Space Stuka" redesign.

The change was done to invoke thoughts of the U.S. carrier fleet from WWII(only this time Japan wins!!!), and that ship design isn't base on the JU-87 Stuka, but the U.S. TBM/TBF Avenger torpedo bomber that had a role in sinking the original IJN Yamato.

The change was done to invoke thoughts of the U.S. carrier fleet from WWII(only this time Japan wins!!!), and that ship design isn't base on the JU-87 Stuka, but the U.S. TBM/TBF Avenger torpedo bomber that had a role in sinking the original IJN Yamato.

The Gamilas carrier being multi-decked is actually more like the early versions of the IJN carriers Kaga and Akagi.

Also, the Gamilas bomber is actually based more on the Stuka, not the Grumman Avenger. At least in the old series it was named the "Domel-type DMB-87 dive bomber". Note the same numerals used as in the Ju-87 Stuka and the fact that it's a dive bomber and not a torpedo bomber.

Edited by Vifam7

Finally had a chance to watch the current episodes and I'm in love with it, just like I knew I would be. My only gripe is, just like the new 'EVA movies, the story's condensed and feels rushed, but I realize that this project will have less episodes with higher quality than what I grew up with, so I'm not complaining. Additionally the girls, especially Yuki, are beautifully rendered. I just might have to break my no-overpriced-anime-statue doctrine and buy her figure when it comes out...

Edited by myk

Finally had a chance to watch the current episodes and I'm in love with it, just like I knew I would be. My only gripe is, just like the new 'EVA movies, the story's condensed and feels rushed, but I realize that this project will have less episodes with higher quality than what I grew up with, so I'm not complaining. Additionally the girls, especially Yuki, are beautifully rendered. I just might have to break my no-overpriced-anime-statue doctrine and buy her figure when it comes out...

The series will have the same number of episodes than the original first season, 26. Hopefully the remaining story arcs will get a similar treatment. They are laying the foundations for that already by introducing Gatlantis as a contender for the Gamilas in one of their battle fronts. The only part i agree felt a bit rushed (but after seeing it over 50 times, you get over it) was episode 3, because it condensed the first warp and Floating Continent/WMG test fire all into one. But the result was spectacular. If you go back to the original, most of what as been cut was really filler (and put in at a time they believed the show would be at least 39 episodes long). Asn the amount of stuff they've put in is amazing. Taking all this into account, i feel the pace is just right.

As for figures, that Yuki is beautiful and i'm very tempted. Hopefully Bandai will have some smaller HGIF type figures made. Cross your fingers. :D

In other news, the two Gamilas fleet captains revealed in episode 11 get provisional character files (i,e. no information except their name and voice actor)

- Vemu Heidern (i've been using the semi-official translation for the 1974 character's name, Hidrun, but this seems better :) )

chara_img_heidern.jpg

- Fomto Barger (here, the original seems better than Burger XD)

chara_img_burger.jpg

Anyone getting the 1st OST?

First Yamato 2199 soundtrack album was released in its 40+ tracks glory.

http://www.cdjapan.c...?KEY=LACA-15248 (plus 45 second previews of most of the tracks)

Mine was shipped on Tuesday. Waiting eagerly for it. :D Someone at starblazers.com (i assume Tim Eldred) has treceiver his in a... let's call it awkward position. More details here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=451374394909023&set=a.167813033265162.36716.163366130376519&type=1&relevant_count=1

Edited by westfall

Well, I hope the Yamato crew starts to see some hard times-they've been pretty much walking through the Gamilon forces up to this point....

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I hope the Yamato crew starts to see some hard times-they've been pretty much walking through the Gamilon forces up to this point....

I'm sure that there will be tougher battles ahead. They have been walking through the Gamilon forces, but that has been due to overconfidence from the Gamilas. Once Desslock starts taking the threat more seriously.........

I'm sure that there will be tougher battles ahead. They have been walking through the Gamilon forces, but that has been due to overconfidence from the Gamilas. Once Desslock starts taking the threat more seriously.........

The underestimation of the Cosmo Navy is something I really never considered when trying to question the idea of one small ship accomplishing so much; if that concept was touched on in the original series I totally missed it; then again, I was like 6 years old and watching "Star Blazers". In 2199 however, I feel that the over-confidence of the Gamilas will be a major part of their downfall in the story. But yes, I want to see that ship f*ked up............well, I mean to some degree anyway...

The underestimation of the Cosmo Navy is something I really never considered when trying to question the idea of one small ship accomplishing so much; if that concept was touched on in the original series I totally missed it; then again, I was like 6 years old and watching "Star Blazers". In 2199 however, I feel that the over-confidence of the Gamilas will be a major part of their downfall in the story. But yes, I want to see that ship f*ked up............well, I mean to some degree anyway...

One word. DOMEL. And if we look at the original, they didn't exactly get much hassle from the Gamilas between Pluto and the battle of the Rainbow Galaxy, those and the battle at Gamilas were the only big battles where the Yamato was really baddly damaged. I believe chapter 4 will bring some peril with Domel entering the scene and Falken and his Subspace Submarines launching an attack. Also, from what's been said from the start, Dessler might have his hands full in the home front with those who want to depose him.

Man, just finished watching episode 6, sorry if I'm a bit late on the ball, but holy crap, what an awesome episode. Gotta love those type-3 rounds. I dunno what it is, but there's something about a nice big fire-ball produced from firing those things. I certainly hope there are more scenes of Yamato firing those rounds in future episodes, with different angles.

I love the EDF ships but that view totally shows all the grebbles that need to be removed so the ship's main guns have a full 180 degree range of fire (only the cruiser can actually fire over its bow, to match its forward hull-depressed mounted guns)

I love the EDF ships but that view totally shows all the grebbles that need to be removed so the ship's main guns have a full 180 degree range of fire (only the cruiser can actually fire over its bow, to match its forward hull-depressed mounted guns)

Always a problem with the SB/Yamato ship designs. I love it so I forgive them of course.