Legos, anyone?

danth

On 8/4/2024 at 1:41 PM, J.T. Silversmith said:

Me and my son just built Cole's Titan Dragon Mech, and have really been enjoying it.  It is just so well built, It has really useful articulation.  It is really stable in a pose, it does everything that I think a mech should do.  Yesterday when we were looking at it my son noticed that the eyes have light piping!  I had not seen anyone else mention it yet.  There is a clear white 1x1 tile on the back of the head to let the light pass through to the clear orange eyes.  Has anyone heard of any other Lego set with light piping?  I wanted to share a tiny little detail on this awesome set that might get missed!TitanDragonMechnormallighting.jpg.45f08e6bb5d8f71ea20fe00841075029.jpg

This is under normal light.

TitanDragonMechblockedlighting.jpg.7b8c99b99384060507870825b7615e73.jpg

This is with my finger blocking the light.

TitanDragonMechbacklitlighting.jpg.773a3ac4318186825967f6ecaffba768.jpg

This is with a flashlight to show it off.  I thought it was a cool extra  that could be missed.

This was the swan song of designer Niek van Slagmaat (Toothdominoes) who has been working on Ninjago for years. He is changing positions, but as a love letter to Ninjago fans coupled with his love of robots and mecha in general, he wanted to create a mecha set with as many bells and whistles as possible and IMHO, as both a mecha fan and a Ninjago fan, I think he succeeded. The head design, light piping notwithstanding (I hadn't noticed it, so thanks for pointing it out) is probably the weakest part of the whole build. The articulation is amazing, especially the sliding kneecaps which echo any number of Gundam and other modern mecha designs. The ankles are of note as well, as on most LEGO mecha, they are severely limited in their range of motion for stability's sake, but on this model, the friction actuators add the requisite stability to the ball jointed ankles enabling a decent range in all directions. It's an impressive set that hopefully will inform future mecha sets.

• 4 weeks later...