Legos, anyone?

danth

• 2 weeks later...

I‘m lukewarm on the Zelda set. The Deku Tree is probably the most boring think they could have decided on. Figure selection is also meh.

Posted (edited)

Wow that's gorgeous, I'm absolutely in! I have every Creator/Icons car and I love them, I can't stand Technic so these brick-built cars are what really do it for me, that set looks fantastic!

Initial D.jpg

Edited by Tking22

21 hours ago, Scyla said:

Images for the Lego Icons Lamborghini Countach are out and the set is available for preorder:

IMG_1876.webp.c109476398758b76b9f90ce55561f9e7.webp

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/lamborghini-countach-5000-quattrovalvole-10337

Not a fan of the color (will yellow) or the shape of the hood but I don’t know what you could do with lego bricks to get it right.

I think red would have been more suitable (always reminds me of Sideswipe) than white, but it looks amazing. These Icons models harken back to the old Model Team sets which released from 1986-1999, along with an updated release of 1995's Blue Fury (5541) in 2004. Many of those sets were pretty impressive for their time, especially given the limited palette at the time. These were the "Adults welcome" sets well before LEGO started purposely targeting sets towards adults. I had three of them, unfortunately all parted out to build MOCs many years ago. These Icons models have advanced remarkably, but those old sets are due respect for just how good they were.

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I think red would have been more suitable (always reminds me of Sideswipe) than white, but it looks amazing. These Icons models harken back to the old Model Team sets which released from 1986-1999, along with an updated release of 1995's Blue Fury (5541) in 2004. Many of those sets were pretty impressive for their time, especially given the limited palette at the time. These were the "Adults welcome" sets well before LEGO started purposely targeting sets towards adults. I had three of them, unfortunately all parted out to build MOCs many years ago. These Icons models have advanced remarkably, but those old sets are due respect for just how good they were.

If I remember correctly from MP Lambor, Lamborghini was super particular about the red paint used and Takara had to create a new paint to match Lamborghini‘s license requirements (on the other hand the Technic Lamborghini Super Car looks nothing like the original).

Also Jang mentioned in his video that red is already blocked for Ferrari models. Looking at official colors for the Countach yellow seems an option which would make it stand out on a shelf with other Icons cars (personally I‘m not a fan of yellow).

So white might be the easier/saver choice. Shame that the Icons Porsche is also white. 

18 hours ago, Scyla said:

If I remember correctly from MP Lambor, Lamborghini was super particular about the red paint used and Takara had to create a new paint to match Lamborghini‘s license requirements (on the other hand the Technic Lamborghini Super Car looks nothing like the original).

Also Jang mentioned in his video that red is already blocked for Ferrari models. Looking at official colors for the Countach yellow seems an option which would make it stand out on a shelf with other Icons cars (personally I‘m not a fan of yellow).

So white might be the easier/saver choice. Shame that the Icons Porsche is also white. 

Hmm, I hadn't thought about competition between Ferrrari and Lamborghini. Seems a little petty when it comes to toys. Moreover, LEGO only has the one shade of regular red, "bright red", which is what they use for their Ferrari sets as well as pretty much everything else that they want to depict in a normal shade of red. Obviously, they'd use the same hue for the Countach if they chose to or were permitted. However, I'm thinking the color is an issue b/c the Speed Champions Countach was also done in white, which I thought an odd color choice then. But as we've seen from the Transformers world and licensing among various automakers, they can be very picky about what they allow in a toy when it comes to their licensed products. I wish aircraft manufacturers were as stringent or we might have had an accurate F-15 mode for MP Starscream instead of the travesty that they made instead. I'm digressing. Regardless of the color, this model is pretty impressive and I'm sure somebody somewhere, if all the parts are available, will rebuild this in red. I'm with you on yellow, though-🤮. Not a fan. Black would have looked sharp, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up the new 60440 Yellow Delivery Truck this weekend and it doesn't disappoint. LEGO-branded transport trucks go all the way back to 1967 and perhaps even earlier. 335-3.jpg?201708130206

There've been several tractor-trailer sets, and this latest offering is the largest and, IMHO, the most realistic of them all. I especially like the new fifth-wheel modified plate element (3779) 250x250p.jpg

that allows the truck to back up into the trailer hitch (a small ball joint with axle) as well as a red whip element which is used as an electrical umbilical connecting the cab to the trailer. Although the space is cramped, the cab can turn with the whip connected between cab and trailer.

1000000141.jpg.12ac6225ad0fe149b8ffcada05578ffa.jpg

The driver's compartment is 6 studs wide but can accommodate two minifigs thanks to the use of 1x3 jumpers and a couple Technic plates. The cozy sleeper even has a flat screen tv on the wall. The hood can open on a double hinge or be removed by unclipping it to reveal an easily removable engine.

1000000145.jpg.14c25228cba6dd41eb4c9bd3931daf48.jpg1000000139.jpg.44f60fb2cf463c3d2464c87fb3defb1b.jpg1000000140.jpg.29ca9dee2f4146c0e52641cc3f0b3681.jpg

The set comes with two toolboxes and set of tools that are stored in the foremost compartment of the trailer. The rest of the trailer accommodates four pallets of LEGO sets, all of which feature printed tiles. Although I didn't show it, each set can be removed independently from its pallet.

1000000135.jpg.ae0f80e05cc71d867ddb61a8b738c72f.jpg1000000136.jpg.68415e54bdfe2f571fb8864f848b3ee0.jpg1000000137.jpg.7e0ef55aa436f0acfac4d9d42ff6801a.jpg

Other prints include: 

250x250p.jpg 250x250p.jpg 250x250p.jpg and 250x250p.jpg x2

The set also includes a hotdog stand, a sign for the hot dog stand, a white construction helmet, and a forklift. It comes with four minifigs and contains 1061 pieces for $100 USD. If you're someone who likes City or just enjoys these big rig sets, I think this one will delight. there's a lot of playability and realism built in and I hope to see more of the same in future sets. this year's City Construction theme is looking impressive as well. I'm definitely down for that exquisite excavator.

11 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I had to think about that one a moment, that first image was definitely not the new set you were talking about. :lol: 

LOL, nope. 😁 I knew those trucks went back to the 80s, but I was pleasantly surprised when I stumbled across that set in my quick research. 

8 hours ago, sh9000 said:

721696D4-CA09-4538-BBED-460F25D8081A.png.c2c5d26981d235f61552bd90cb615626.png

I'll get the F40.

Likewise- it looks great. Not into Nascar, and other than the varied color scheme, the car itself is kinda meh to me design wise.  I hope they do more stuff like the G12 Vision- that's a sweet looking car and they did a commendable job capturing it in brick. I wish they'd made a new windscreen piece to better approximate the real car, but otherwise, it's very well done.

4 hours ago, hutch said:

I’ve been strongly considering getting into speed champions.  They are great looking and economical.  That F40 looks great

I'm not really a car guy per se, but I do like the look of a lot of the supercars that they choose to do as sets. Moreover, the line has distinguished itself as having some of the most complex and interesting builds utilizing novel parts usage (NPU), advanced techniques, and heavy reliance on SNOT builds to achieve the looks of the various vehicles. Of all the themes, as a building experience, they offer the most bang for your buck in a small set and you have a cool car to show for your effort.

5 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Likewise- it looks great. Not into Nascar, and other than the varied color scheme, the car itself is kinda meh to me design wise.  I hope they do more stuff like the G12 Vision- that's a sweet looking car and they did a commendable job capturing it in brick. I wish they'd made a new windscreen piece to better approximate the real car, but otherwise, it's very well done.

I'm not really a car guy per se, but I do like the look of a lot of the supercars that they choose to do as sets. Moreover, the line has distinguished itself as having some of the most complex and interesting builds utilizing novel parts usage (NPU), advanced techniques, and heavy reliance on SNOT builds to achieve the looks of the various vehicles. Of all the themes, as a building experience, they offer the most bang for your buck in a small set and you have a cool car to show for your effort.

Thanks for the insight.  I have read/watched some reviews (especially of the more recent 8-wide sets) and noticed many of the things you point out, but it’s good to hear it again.  I’m not a gear head, but have always been in awe (lust?) of super/hypercars since I was very young (posters of Tetarossa and Countach, anyone?) and I love a really good Lego build.  The fact that my daughter is old enough to help/appreciate/enjoy the activity with me certainly doesn’t hurt.   Yeah, I think I’ll pick up a couple and see what I think.  The good thing with Legos is you can almost always sell them and recoup your investment if you don’t like it or get bored. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where else to ask this, but this seems the most suitable thread: I recently got a set of three Cobi tanks (the various Tank Museums three pack with the Panzer I, R35 and - swoon - Valentine Mk. IX) but unfortunately the Panzer I suffered an, ahem, engineering casualty during construction and I broke one of the track links. Theres no spares in the box and whilst I found somewhere that did spare links, it turns out they're the wrong size. In addition, the R35 seems to be missing a piece (it doesn't seem to have fallen out whilst I was emptying the bags/box. The parts I need are listed in the instruction manual as 102496 and 152349.

Does anyone know where I might be able to obtain spares, preferably in the UK or at least the EU? eBay doesn't seem to have anything, Cobis website seems to have only a limited selection and so do any of the other third party retailers I've looked. I don't suppose its something Bricklink would do?

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Not sure where else to ask this, but this seems the most suitable thread: I recently got a set of three Cobi tanks (the various Tank Museums three pack with the Panzer I, R35 and - swoon - Valentine Mk. IX) but unfortunately the Panzer I suffered an, ahem, engineering casualty during construction and I broke one of the track links. Theres no spares in the box and whilst I found somewhere that did spare links, it turns out they're the wrong size. In addition, the R35 seems to be missing a piece (it doesn't seem to have fallen out whilst I was emptying the bags/box. The parts I need are listed in the instruction manual as 102496 and 152349.

Does anyone know where I might be able to obtain spares, preferably in the UK or at least the EU? eBay doesn't seem to have anything, Cobis website seems to have only a limited selection and so do any of the other third party retailers I've looked. I don't suppose its something Bricklink would do?

Have you tried to reach out to Cobi directly? 
I would try to send them an email and see if the can get you sorted at: customerservice@cobi.eu

Edited by Scyla

I had considered that, I was put off by the shipping prices when I looked at their "spares" category on their website, but I'll give them a go. One issue is that I don't think I have the receipt unfortunately.

6 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

I had considered that, I was put off by the shipping prices when I looked at their "spares" category on their website, but I'll give them a go. One issue is that I don't think I have the receipt unfortunately.

I might be able to help. Looking at pictures those pieces look like the same thin tracks that also were used on the Renault FT kit. I might have spares I can send you, just let me check when I get off work tonight.

11 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

So looks like some good news and bad. I have extras of  the track link part, but it might not match the color of the PZ.1's track. I can't tell if it's black or dark grey that you need.

Here's a pic of my spares pouch.

IMG_20240708_222953.jpg

renegadeleader1, many thanks for the kind offer, but following Scylas advice I contacted Cobi and they advised me to essentially treat it as a complaint and make a claim through their website. If things don't work out, I'll let you know. And yes, it is the black link.

Got this guy for my birthday last week, and while he's not as refined as LEGO Optimus Prime (who was designed by former Hasbro Transformers designer Joe Kyde), Bee, designed by Design Manager Samuel Liltorp Johnson, was a challenge that apparently nobody at LEGO thought possible. Not sure why, but more on that later. Sam took it as a personal challenge; it took him a year 's worth of work and the creation of two new very useful elements, a Technic element LEGO part 5652 Technic Rotation Joint Disk Double with Pin Hole and 3L Beam Thick in Dark Stone Grey / Dark Bluish Gray and a quarter compound curved brick LEGO part 5651 Brick Round Corner 4 x 4 x 1 in Bright Yellow/ Yellow to achieve a transforming version of everybody's favorite yellow Bug-cum-robot. There are some caveats, of course, and one might instantly chock them up to the limitations of LEGO, but as a transforming mecha designer myself with 13 bots under my belt, all of them perfect transformation with three of them Macross designs, I'm heavily disinclined to agree. LEGO has its limitations, but in Bee's case, as much as I like the model, I feel that it could have been much better. As I mentioned, there are caveats, the first of which is the necessity to parts-form his windshield into a barely believable jet pack. The shoulder joints sit very low within the arms and due to the size of said shoulders, which form the rear fenders of the car, his range of motion is limited. Further limiting the arm motion is the use of clicky joints anchored within the body in a setup that's reminiscent of Studio Series Hot Rod or Kingdom commander class Rodimus Prime, to name two well-known examples. In other words, with the arms straight ahead zombie-style, the arms cannot rotate out to the sides. The entire shoulder must be rotated as close to 90 degrees as possible in order to achieve any meaningful left or right. I have Bee's right arm rotated about as much as possible to the right, but due to a lack of clearance and due to that awkward shoulder joint, Bee's arms' range of motion is sparse. His elbows can bend 90 degrees, there's no bicep rotation, an unfortunate omission that would have afforded Bee some much needed additional range of motion, his wrists can rotate 360, and his three fingers and thumb can all articulate at the base knuckle. His hands are built around a recently new modified plate with a bar on the bottom which allows a claw element built into the handle of his gun to clip securely into his hands. Due to his transformation mechanics, utilizing two of those new dogbone Technic elements sandwiched together to move his legs into position to form the lower part of the car mode, he has no waist swivel. His thighs can swivel fore and aft, but the range is determined by where you position the big dogbone joint; have it pressed close to his crotch plate, and there's no forward movement possible; move the dogbone back one click and then the hips can swivel forward about three clicks or around 20-30 degrees. However, in the interest of stability, like LEGO OP, Bee has no knees. Furthermore, he has no ankle rocker to allow his feet to sit flat in anything but in a legs-together pose. The feet will rotate a little side to side horizontally, but that's about the extent of foot pose ability. Overall, much like the G1 toy that inspired him, LEGO Bumblebee is more statue than action figure. 

20240713_102018.jpg.3d0b7fbe8d2a90c1f1f64d337e630573.jpg

As to Bee's car mode, well, it's similar to a VW Beetle up front, but the rear takes on more of a 50's coupe look than the nice curvature of the Beetle's backside. Ground clearance is good and Bee rolls out like a true Autobot. One cool element to the set, pun partially intended, is that there are two yellow 2x2 tiles printed with the Autobot symbol, as well as an additional non-printed yellow tile. Thus, Bee can have the choice of having one on a foot, both feet if that's your thing, one on the roof of his car (the bot's chest) and one on a foot, or as I've displayed mine, just a single logo on the roof. Options are nice, and given the limitations of the figure, at least you can choose how you want to deco him. Additionally, he comes with some stickers: two for the license plate, one being the BMBL84 as seen on my copy or another that says GLDBUG, as well as the bumper stickers. These referential stickers add some nice character to the model even if you have to look at his backside to see them. I appreciate them nonetheless. While Bee's car mode, on the whole, is adequate, the hints that this is more than meets the eye are readily apparent to anyone remotely familiar with LEGO, Transformers or both by virtue of visible hinges, especially the dark grey ones used for his elbows and the corner of a grey brick, his shoulder joint, breaking up the sea of yellow, not in a good way.

20240713_115750.jpg.311586720782db3455aecb39da999a50.jpg20240713_115758.jpg.c9a4502dd2c9dea518aeecdd6ee8a5f3.jpg20240713_115814.jpg.bc70f86027868be862ca8a163697111e.jpg

All things considered, despite some glaring flaws and a design that stands inferior next to LEGO's Optimus Prime, I'm glad we got him. Transformers, or more precisely, a homegrown transforming robot theme, has long lingered at the top of my LEGO wishlist since the mid-80s when transforming robots seemed to dominate the boys' toys market. Ironically, we almost got a taste had early M:Tron prototypes made it to market.  Oh, how I wish these had been released.

BrickJournal_Issue_6_Volume_2_Page_40_MTron_P2.pngBrickJournal_Issue_6_Volume_2_Page_40_MTron_P2_2.pngr/lego - M-Tron Mecha Forklift, based on a scrapped set from the themer/lego - M-Tron Mecha Forklift, based on a scrapped set from the theme

Years later, an obscure but regular poster to the Macross World Forums would add his own addition to what LEGO started: 

100_6201.JPG.e8e1aeceab223d5699920034a940041d.JPG100_6218.JPG.f82275904bc21b2205d39edff2676a16.JPG

And that brings me back full circle to my statement of incredulity that a transformable Bumblebee was considered impossible, until Sam went and did it. Is it perfect? No. But is it an adequate second try at something that's such a radical departure from LEGO's normal set subjects- you bet!  I appreciate that LEGO didn't one-and -done with Transformers. Bee gives hope that more will follow, and my preference would be for a Decepticon on their next outing. Since modern tanks and jets are off the table due to LEGO's no modern war machine stance, I wouldn't mind seeing them take a stab at everyone's favorite aloof Communications Officer and his mini-minions. I think a G1 Soundwave is feasible, although getting his cassettes right might prove challenging simply due to LEGO's part dimensions- pretty tough to get a thin wafer with any meaningful moving parts.  But I've seen both Bumblebee and Soundwave MOCs that were quite good so, like Bee, I think there's a distinct possibility that Soundwave could be realized in a set that can stand proudly, or perhaps disdainfully, next to LEGO's Prime and Bumblebee. With a standard of expectations having been established for any future figs, I say bring 'em on!

Edited by M'Kyuun

• 3 weeks later...

Urgh.. I appreciate the effort, but that is the least VW Beetle looking VW Beetle Lego has ever produced.

I don't want to be too harsh, since I know transforming stuff is so difficult, but I'd probably keep that one in bot mode forever.

Edited by Chronocidal

Me and my son just built Cole's Titan Dragon Mech, and have really been enjoying it.  It is just so well built, It has really useful articulation.  It is really stable in a pose, it does everything that I think a mech should do.  Yesterday when we were looking at it my son noticed that the eyes have light piping!  I had not seen anyone else mention it yet.  There is a clear white 1x1 tile on the back of the head to let the light pass through to the clear orange eyes.  Has anyone heard of any other Lego set with light piping?  I wanted to share a tiny little detail on this awesome set that might get missed!TitanDragonMechnormallighting.jpg.45f08e6bb5d8f71ea20fe00841075029.jpg

This is under normal light.

TitanDragonMechblockedlighting.jpg.7b8c99b99384060507870825b7615e73.jpg

This is with my finger blocking the light.

TitanDragonMechbacklitlighting.jpg.773a3ac4318186825967f6ecaffba768.jpg

This is with a flashlight to show it off.  I thought it was a cool extra  that could be missed.

• 2 weeks later...