4 Companies, 4 Masterpieces (?)

DarrinG

post-8486-0-59595100-1314992152_thumb.jpg

1. Yamato VF-1 V2 - (show here as GBP with missile launch effect)

PROS: Not V1, Not 1/48th with 'chicken hands' - just the right size, superb fit and finish, clamps together tight as a mermaids brazier

CONS: Early broken shoulders, should have done everything in light gray and skipped the TV white

CONCLUSION: Masterpiece - probably the best we'll see of the VF-1 in our time (unless there is a V3 further refining, but that seems doubtful)

2. Wave W.H.A.M. Tetsukyojin from Panzer World Galient OVA 'Crest of Iron'

PROS: Just the right size, superb fit and MATT finish, makes every pose you can dream up and some you can not, oozes perfection

CONS: None, except maybe price, cannot find one for less than around $300 (has somewhat unfair advantage of not being transformable, therefore no design trade-offs)

CONCLUSION: Masterpiece - probably the best we'll see in our time

3. Beagle Mospeada Ride-Armor

PROS: Just the right size, superb fit and finish, AN ENGINEERING MARVEL, great stand, awesome accessories, Robotech and original Mospeada models to choose from

CONS: Do you have an hour to changes modes? Screw hole in neck for a $200 piece? Fuke and Yellow? - Awww, c'mon... heartbreak

CONCLUSION: Masterpiece - probably the best we'll see in our time

4. Max Factory Dragonar-1

PROS: Right size, ultimate stand, more accessories than you'd ever expect, ignored real show line art and did the Sculpt; Opening Silhouette, white gloves included? n i c e

CONS: Some small parts too darn fiddlley! - and they eject off the figure without warning! Clear nail polish needed, paint and finsh good but lacking a bit. Flyer wings have difficulty staying deployed (up)

CONCLUSION: CLOSE to Masterpiece, but not - if Yamato put the attention to this that they did on the VF-1 V2 it would leapfrog this version

4. Max Factory Dragonar-1

PROS: Right size, ultimate stand, more accessories than you'd ever expect, ignored real show line art and did the Sculpt; Opening Silhouette, white gloves included? n i c e

CONS: Some small parts too darn fiddlley! - and they eject off the figure without warning! Clear nail polish needed, paint and finsh good but lacking a bit. Flyer wings have difficulty staying deployed (up)

CONCLUSION: CLOSE to Masterpiece, but not - if Yamato put the attention to this that they did on the VF-1 V2 it would leapfrog this version

Bandai's SPEC Opening Silhouette Dragonar is next to perfection. It's better than the MAX Factory release IMHO. Absolutely solid (nothing fiddly or floppy) with excellent use of diecast, and not a paint flaw in sight. Much cheaper too. No need for Yamato to make one IMO.

Edited by Vifam7

I looked at Bandai quite a bit before buying but thought it was a little too small, did not like the chest piece that fit when attaching the flyer and the face details were too 'scrunched' up, for lack of a better word. The facial expression of the MaxFactory won me over, and I liked the look of the stand and the accessories better. Oooo and the box art was much cooler, and came with a handle!

But I do not yet have a Bandai in my hands to compare, so that's what makes these debates fun sometimes...

I looked at Bandai quite a bit before buying but thought it was a little too small, did not like the chest piece that fit when attaching the flyer and the face details were too 'scrunched' up, for lack of a better word. The facial expression of the MaxFactory won me over, and I liked the look of the stand and the accessories better. Oooo and the box art was much cooler, and came with a handle!

But I do not yet have a Bandai in my hands to compare, so that's what makes these debates fun sometimes...

Bandai offered 2 versions of the Dragonar-1. One was an representation of the Dragonar from first OP of the anime. Japanese fans sometimes call this "Barigunar" because Masami Obari did the OP animation. Bandai released the toy of this version as "XS-05 Dragonar 1 from Opening Silhouette". The other version Bandai offered was pretty much the same as what one saw in the lineart and main body of the show. This was released as "XS-06 Dragonar 1 with Cavalier"

The Max Factory version is closer to the lineart/main show Dragonar 1, but comes with a stylized sculpt that I think I've seen once before as artwork or pro-made kit in a magazine.

Edited by Vifam7