8 hours ago, MKT said:

Well, Linkin Park has a new vocalist:

The whole concert performance:

https://youtu.be/Lk0EPHZ59cE?si=Tw4Tahm1BEQK9c88

I never liked them with the old vocals, but oddly the new singer sounds better for them. I still don’t like their songs though, but that’s definitely a decision that took some 🏀’s to even try. Replacing a singer years later after their passing is a tough thing and to do and to have the guts to change the dynamic of the vocals is definitely noteworthy. I don’t know how the fans feel about this though, but it’s kind of an improvement in my non fan opinion 

13 hours ago, Big s said:

I never liked them with the old vocals, but oddly the new singer sounds better for them. I still don’t like their songs though, but that’s definitely a decision that took some 🏀’s to even try. Replacing a singer years later after their passing is a tough thing and to do and to have the guts to change the dynamic of the vocals is definitely noteworthy. I don’t know how the fans feel about this though, but it’s kind of an improvement in my non fan opinion 

I'm just a casual listener to their songs. I think this is possibly the first time replacing an iconic lead singer with someone of opposite gender is being done, but it is a smart move. Right off the bat it can deflect any direct comparisons that will inevitably be made and move on to a new era for better or worse. She seems to cover the old songs pretty decently, but their new song The Emptiness Machine is where she shines with the new vocals.

27 minutes ago, MKT said:

I'm just a casual listener to their songs. I think this is possibly the first time replacing an iconic lead singer with someone of opposite gender is being done, but it is a smart move. Right off the bat it can deflect any direct comparisons that will inevitably be made and move on to a new era for better or worse. She seems to cover the old songs pretty decently, but their new song The Emptiness Machine is where she shines with the new vocals.

It’s not an unheard of thing, but not with a band as well known as this one. Most well known replacements have stuck to the same gender, but some short stint vocalists have stepped in with bands like Soundgarden  having Brandi Carlile for a few live songs, but I’m really struggling to come up with a more significant example.

there was a mostly original lineup of Christian Death that had Eva O take over for Rozz Williams after many legal issues getting resolved after her husband’s passing, but it was mostly to re live their older songs rather than anything new, but their older songs were far better than when Valor hijacked the band.

The new song from Linkin Park is better than their usual stuff, still wondering how bigger fans really feel about the change. I’m really an outsider looking in

On 9/8/2024 at 3:48 PM, Big s said:

The new song from Linkin Park is better than their usual stuff, still wondering how bigger fans really feel about the change.

As a massive Linkin Park fan myself, I wouldn't say The Emptiness Machine is "better than their usual stuff," but I absolutely love it nonetheless.  It's polished and clean and perhaps better suited to mainstream tastes than the ragged, raw stuff from the early days of the band, where it felt less about making great music and more about processing trauma...

Honestly, hearing Emily Armstrong scream those lyrics the way only Chester could, it absolutely brought me to tears of joy.  I was not surprised to learn that, over a few years and a few sessions with surviving band members, they slowly came to the realization that they could actually put the band back together.  They weren't looking for a new vocalist, but Emily's sound suited the band so well that it suddenly seemed like a foregone conclusion.  I'm hotly anticipating the release of their new album on Sunday, and I'm overjoyed that Linkin Park has finally risen from Chester's ashes. :yahoo: