STAR WARS Merchandise Episode - 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Mog said:

Didn't someone make a 3D adapter piece to help the wings maintain the X/attack position? :unknw:

That thing needs more than an adapter, everything internal needs to be re-engineered into a mechanism that can support wings that heavy, and then have the actual wings replaced with material that doesn't bend like soggy leather over time.

The problems with the design are numerous, but the biggest are that the wing mounts get sloppier with every re-pop of the mold, the actual wing material is not sufficient to support itself, and the mechanism just isn't strong enough to hold the wings open to begin with, because the lever putting pressure on the spring just bends instead.  It really needs metal components.

The nose cone looking like a failed nose-job is just the crap icing on the mud pie.  I've had half a mind to 3D print replacement components to rebuild it, but in the end I stopped and just decided to print the whole thing.  It's not worth trying to salvage the few good parts.

I guess I'm probably being too harsh, since this is still pretty much the best large-scale X-Wing toy produced.  It's just gone through many iterations over time that have degraded the quality.  And I really miss the sharp chiseled nosecone that the original FX version came with.

Edited by Chronocidal