Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

10 hours ago, wm cheng said:

What kind of lacquer clear coat gloss that is airbrush-able would everyone recommend?

Mr. Color's GX series, Gaia's EX clears, all thinned with Mr. Leveling Clear. GX100 Super Clear III (UV Cut) is probably the best gloss clear I've used outside of a 2k clear. GX113 is their flat coat in that respect. There are a few downsides, I've notice quite large particles (grit) in some jars, not sure if a bad batch or age related. It looks like dust when sprayed out onto a clear part. Secondly, they require a lot of thinning. They take Mr. Leveling Thinner really well but, you will go through a lot. I use a 1(paint) : 1 (laquer thinner) : 1 (Mr. Leveling Thinner) ratio. Lastly there is a big downside being that you only have gloss and flat. All other finishes must be hand mixed between the 2.

That is why I rely on Gaia Notes EX clears more often these days or when the project cannot be sprayed in one go. EX-03 (gloss,) EX-04 (Flat,) EX-10 (semi-gloss.) The whole Gaia EX line is fantastic and the colors have blown MR. Color out of the water for a long while*** (in my opinion.) *** If you want a really fun paint look for their new EX-06 Fluorescent clear, it makes almost anything shine under a fluorescent/black light, such a cool product! With LED lighting models being so popular these days it definetly has a niche. 

I do rely on Alclad II Clears (lacquer) for final coats still. Anything more than a mist and I have issue with them (dry spots and yellowing.) I really like their Light Sheen Klear Kote which is about as close to a suede finish, and Semi-Gloss. Love them for my final overcoats on kits. FWIW The MIG Ammo line is just rebottled Alclad. The bottles used to clearly state that but, they since have renamed them.

On 9/19/2024 at 5:06 PM, pengbuzz said:

That, or overcoating Molotow Chrome Marker.

On that note: long time no see, Rock!! :D You have any projects going right now?

Just working on my (probably not going to finish on-time) GBWC entry and trying to become more comfortable with putty sculpting, carving.  Until this project gets to paint, I won't drag out my whole spray setup, which is what the other projects are awaiting anyways.