Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Last year for my birthday I got the RX-93-V2 Hi-V Gundam from Hobby Lobby on their 40% off sale they always have. Researched it and kept seeing models with GIANT cannon on them and researched it for more info (nope, I've never seen the series). Then I found the gun is a kit! There is the Chinese knock-off and the Bandai version, so I got the Bandai version. It went together in a couple of hours. No paint yet. The gun is about twice the size of the mecha. Huge box compared to the gun, BUT, it has a VERY extensive set of stands INCLUDED to pose the mecha with the gun (floating in space).

Backstory, this cannon came from a battleship and they converted it to this. The power cable reels attached to it fit two AAA batteries internally perfectly! I think I might light it up or do some kind of effect lighting. - MT

Hyper Mega Bazooka Launcher.jpg

2 hours ago, MechTech said:

Last year for my birthday I got the RX-93-V2 Hi-V

They have medication for that these days 

the Hi Nv, nu , whatever has always been an interesting alternate version of the nu, Nv or whatever. Sorry, don’t have the proper font for that one. Anyway, it has stone interesting add ons for sure.

Well got some no rain days this weekend..some sun and a couple of hours after family went to bed to work on the matchbox 1/3000 repaints and upgrades.

Lots of issues with my red paint and a mishap with kid involved at one point. Also being drained of energy after workweek made the fun time a chore. But I'm happy to finally move a jump forward on it. And mostly pretty happy.

I have some touching up on edges to do still . I just wanted parts on to see what it would look like. Still love the new colors alot. I'm am definitely selling off my old sdf-1s when done. I like the new and improved look so much more...it might just be me...but that's all that matters right😆

IMG_20240805_010454455.jpg

IMG_20240805_010506578.jpg

IMG_20240805_010516074.jpg

IMG_20240805_010522213.jpg

IMG_20240805_010559294.jpg

IMG_20240805_010608317.jpg

IMG_20240802_213627335.jpg

IMG_20240802_213619334.jpg

IMG_20240802_213631516.jpg

Edited by nonner242

Ass-1 😆

I can't even...oh my😂 been awhile since I heard that and not SDF1..hit me funny today.

If I did do something like that. Probably easier from scratch non transforming or build off a model kit. Too bad the 3000 scale kits are so damn pricey.

Scratch builds are pretty easy to me as long and it's mostly sharp edges..curves and roundness give me a headache to keep even. I started a 1/26 ..30i ish scale Queadluun-Rau years ago and only became a bust with cockpit and pilot since the curves got to me. But I did a almost 90% full size ED 209 without any problem. Man I miss ding costumes and Prop guns..

Well hopefully I can get more done and finish this guy up by end of month. At least get it all paint and together..fine details and stuff can be done afterwards..just don't want part and bags everywhere no more😆

Edited by nonner242

On 8/1/2024 at 6:09 AM, Chas said:

Hey Pengbuz,

The only decals I have are from an original Boxing of the kit, so basically the same as what you have.

I do however have A4 clear decal paper, clear acrylic sealer, afunctioning printer, envelopes and stamps.

No problem to print some decals  up for you if you send me the files.

On the main site here: https://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/cz_mask.htm

There is a download able set of pretty decent Aztecs for the old kit. I could print those off for you, but if it's marking details you're after I'd need the files.

Don't want to add any stress ( I understand that too many options can become stressful for some folks)- it's just an offer and there's no rush to decide.

Take care.

Much appreciated, Chas; at this point, the ones I would need are the top main hull registry number. I can get the file for it ( I can do it up in photoshop to the size I need), but I'm pretty well dead broke.

TTo everyone else: I'm okay at this point (as okay as I will be). Still reeling and still recovering; thanks for everyone's concern. Been taking time to get some rest and try to relax.

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

TTo everyone else: I'm okay at this point (as okay as I will be). Still reeling and still recovering; thanks for everyone's concern. Been taking time to get some rest and try to relax.

That's good to hear. I'm hoping your stress level goes down.

I'll be joining you for the next 3 days relaxing Drs order too.  I'm gonna try and use it for some good and not worry about work.

My body is telling me to sit and rest past couple days..

16 hours ago, Major Tom said:

It's feels like it's proportional to the rest of the ship now to me..original seems stubby now.

Got the new shoulder joint in too.. now it feels like I'm finally moving forward abit.

IMG_20240805_131653116.jpg

IMG_20240805_131729003.jpg

IMG_20240805_131733702.jpg

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Much appreciated, Chas; at this point, the ones I would need are the top main hull registry number. I can get the file for it ( I can do it up in photoshop to the size I need), but I'm pretty well dead broke.

PM sent.

4 hours ago, nonner242 said:

It's feels like it's proportional to the rest of the ship now to me..original seems stubby now.

Got the new shoulder joint in too.. now it feels like I'm finally moving forward abit.

IMG_20240805_131653116.jpg

IMG_20240805_131729003.jpg

IMG_20240805_131733702.jpg

Just be careful of that blue plastic; it has a tendency to crack and break like mad! You may want to use epoxy or plastic welder to reinforce the entire inside of it.

@Big s Thank you! I'd accuse you of using a "Dad Joke", but I've used it myself!😁

@nonner242 Your mod work makes that old toy look MUCH better!

@pengbuzz I'm GLAD you're feeling better! I hate taking a break from model building, but sometimes its a must🥲 - MT

2 minutes ago, Cheese3 said:

Alll my models! Macross and more!

IMG_6300.jpeg

IMG_6318.jpeg

IMG_6290.jpeg

IMG_6164.jpeg

IMG_6178.jpeg

IMG_6096.jpeg

IMG_5685.jpeg

IMG_5715.jpeg

Good stuff. I like the forced perspective of the SDF-1 over the rubble. And the cute girls gathered in the WW2 zone is priceless. :good:

On 7/30/2024 at 9:15 PM, nonner242 said:

Thank u buddy!

I was stuck in that for awhile I feel you. I'm kinda in that place to on the having issues with life and with hobby. I have about 4 projects going in various stages and some will be shelved for a bit too due to a array of issues till a later date.

Yes if it's affecting your health by all means do what's good for you. Stress is a scary thing and hits everyone differently. So take it easy..the shots not going anywhere. Maybe start a season of something you never watched or do something that makes you happy. I always revert back to drawing..lol

Mechs and random crap of course 😆

Hours can go by if I'm brainstorming and puts me in a good state. 

Plus it's fun to make stuff up just cuz why not...

IMG_20120724_124449.jpg

Screenshot_20240730-211324.png

Screenshot_20240730-211254.png

Screenshot_20240730-211217.png

Screenshot_20240730-211235.png

Screenshot_20240730-211211.png

Sorry I didn't reply to this before, nonner242; it got buried on me while I was away! :(

You have some really good talents with your drawing and inkwork there! Your linework is just awesome!!

I do drawing as well (at least when I'm able to focus and my disabilities aren't acting up and keeping me in pain!).

A couple of examples from my end of things-

Transformers:

jackknife-animation-linework-progress-0.jpg.758a5cbc1b1cfa0a717abb8a0cd9c586.jpgg1-jackknife-cartoon-version.jpg.ce63f3d67a21435e92f72ee066b25766.jpg

Macross (much of my work is done painting in Photoshop):

NotOnMyWatch-Final.jpg.c7708acb986f4b25bbeb9f5eec9f89ca.jpg  MacrossGenerationsTheComingStormMasterworkReduxFinal.jpg.9bef3177f62c5a503672318cdd229367.jpg

A few in pencil:

HawkandNightmare.jpg.1955895c8cf1b170f57ac6cbbb884217.jpg

And a joke or two:

BasaraZipCrashFinal.jpg.e6f3ebc5e7601d0184632bb1770d3e15.jpg

Edited by pengbuzz
forogot a pic (oops!)

9 hours ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz Yeah, some AWESOME work! Basara and the zip line!🤣 - MT

Thanks. Most of my work used to be on Artstation (100+ pieces) until people started stealing it. 😠 The death knell was when AI began sampling everything under the sun; that's when it all came down, and any hopes for recognition (and possibly a career) died forever. :(

All I have now are my models....

Edited by pengbuzz

On 8/7/2024 at 5:54 PM, pengbuzz said:

Sorry I didn't reply to this before, nonner242; it got buried on me while I was away! :(

You have some really good talents with your drawing and inkwork there! Your linework is just awesome!!

I do drawing as well (at least when I'm able to focus and my disabilities aren't acting up and keeping me in pain!).

Thank you bud.

You are very talented indeed.

I totally understand the whole when you can part of it. I always want to but just can't concentrate on what I want some days. Sucks when you have that creative moment too😆

Love your art especially the one with the 2 flying over the water. Excellent! Model box art!

I love seeing ppls art any day.

9 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Thanks. Most of my work used to be on Artstation (100+ pieces) until people started stealing it. 😠 The death knell was when AI began sampling everything under the sun; that's when it all came down, and any hopes for recognition (and possibly a career) died forever. :(

Diddo😭

2 hours ago, nonner242 said:

Diddo😭

11 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

You know, between AI created 'art' and actual art made by real people, I'll choose the art made by real people., I think a lot of people would to.

5 hours ago, Thom said:

You know, between AI created 'art' and actual art made by real people, I'll choose the art made by real people., I think a lot of people would to.

Yeah, so would I. But putting your art up for display now is just asking to have it be stolen; they've even found ways to remove watermarks and such that used to protect art. Plus, AI samples stuff to make its' images, and I don't want my creations violated.

Anyways, Reliant is nearly done; just waiting on decals from Chas (when he can get to them; he's been very kind to me!), a print I need to do of Reliant for the stand:

ReliantBlueprints.jpg.098f040aec32d955935a986e28d18b19.jpg

(That I can do down at our local library; they just don't allow decal paper or anything else like that)

And another pin for the stand; I'm thinking of looking at my local thrift/ collectibles shop for the TMP version and swap that for the badge to put on Reliant's stand (it debuted in WoK anyways).

100_0772.JPG.db6b5021963acc1645caf610ff9e6134.JPG

Nothing concerning the Legioss, btw. And probably nothing in the future; that's most likely dead now.

Stay tuned...

20 hours ago, Thom said:

Good deal with the Reliant. Glad it is still coming along!

Awesome ship!

I just ruined my enterprise..panel line soaked up into plastic and decolored the whole top. Tried to repair 3 different ways. Failed..it had beautiful weathering. Now I took it all off and the 2 coats off matte clear coat I had already done to main body. Might try and re weather it. But the top is going to be either repainted or battle damaged to cover up bleeding. Oh well looked good for a bit..lol

Plastic for saucer is different from rest of ship I'm guessing. Just didn't like the panel liner mix.l

1 hour ago, nonner242 said:

Awesome ship!

I just ruined my enterprise..panel line soaked up into plastic and decolored the whole top. Tried to repair 3 different ways. Failed..it had beautiful weathering. Now I took it all off and the 2 coats off matte clear coat I had already done to main body. Might try and re weather it. But the top is going to be either repainted or battle damaged to cover up bleeding. Oh well looked good for a bit..lol

Plastic for saucer is different from rest of ship I'm guessing. Just didn't like the panel liner mix.l

Got a pic of what happened?

6 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Got a pic of what happened?

I can soon..I don't wanna look at it...😑it's unfixable by any easy normal means..it literally soaked into plastic. I have a few ideas I'll try next week. It will be sitting till then. Got family stuff going on till at least weds. I wish I grabbed pix before I ruined it. Had great weathering😆

Edited by nonner242

4 hours ago, nonner242 said:

I can soon..I don't wanna look at it...😑it's unfixable by any easy normal means..it literally soaked into plastic. I have a few ideas I'll try next week. It will be sitting till then. Got family stuff going on till at least weds. I wish I grabbed pix before I ruined it. Had great weathering😆

It's all goof. I might have a few ideas on how to save it; we'll see.

Besides, all my models are five different colors of plastic at times when I'm done with building them!! You should see the painting sessions! O.o

It only took 4 months since I ordered it, but my reissue Rigado Scout finally arrived!  (apparently I ordered it right when the started offering preorders for it on Amazon.jp ... 😭 )

RigaadoScout.jpg.5f0e23cc5f642c892e127b0733a803c4.jpg

HOWEVER, before I get started on it, something more pressing came up:

BrokenLego.jpg.22f1c74fb8f86f13cbea40734f1b9369.jpg

While it seems relatively straightforward, there's also a diagonal hairline crack (red arrow) that extends from the break (the 'left' side of the leftmost stud), between the studs, and almost all the way to the 'top' edge (next to the second stud).

Apparently plastic model cement (E.g. Tamiya Cement) works on Lego.  Anyone have any experience fixing broken Lego?

Edited by sketchley

You've been hit with the "brittle brown" syndrome. For a stretch of a few years, about a decade ago, the reddish brown color (and dark red) was defective and known to crumble and break. Lego has since changed the formula for those colors and newer pieces are unaffected. 

Yes, Tamiya cement will work on Lego but the plastic along the seam will melt if too much glue or if too much pressure is applied. The seam will be visible even if expertly glued but in most cases the piece will be completely functional. 

In your case, I believe the piece is likely to be part of that bad batch and it'll just break again after repairing.

On 8/10/2024 at 12:20 PM, nonner242 said:

Awesome ship!

Unfortunately it sounds like the flat coat soaked up the panel liner. It’s usually best to use a gloss coat that has set for a while and then flat coating after weathering and panel lining and all that. As long as it only damaged the top coat, there’s a possibility of rescue with light sanding. The flat coat has a lot of little micro bumps that the panel lining sort of contours to and will leave a dark haze over the kit. It’s good if you just want to darken the color a little, but when you don’t is when it can be a problem. The gloss is smoother and usually allows you to wipe away the excess lining. But it’s definitely best to allow some good cure time after application 

Be careful with Tamiya panel liners, because those can sometimes just eat up paint and plastic. Not sure if that was the brand, but I see a lot of horror stories after Tamiya has been used and I’ve had some bad experiences with it myself.

27 minutes ago, Big s said:

Unfortunately it sounds like the flat coat soaked up the panel liner. It’s usually best to use a gloss coat that has set for a while and then flat coating after weathering and panel lining and all that. As long as it only damaged the top coat, there’s a possibility of rescue with light sanding. The flat coat has a lot of little micro bumps that the panel lining sort of contours to and will leave a dark haze over the kit. It’s good if you just want to darken the color a little, but when you don’t is when it can be a problem. The gloss is smoother and usually allows you to wipe away the excess lining. But it’s definitely best to allow some good cure time after application 

Be careful with Tamiya panel liners, because those can sometimes just eat up paint and plastic. Not sure if that was the brand, but I see a lot of horror stories after Tamiya has been used and I’ve had some bad experiences with it myself.

I didn't even clear coat top saucer yet..it was the rest of the ship that was tho. Yup Tamiya is the brand..have not had good luck with it on any models..just toys mostly. I'm about to go back to my ancient way of lining..just dilute my stuff. Lol.

Something different with this plastic..sure it just didn't work with Tamiya..the rest of the ship is totally different originally and shiney. Now I just flat matte the whole thing while I figure out next process.

15 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

It's all goof. I might have a few ideas on how to save it; we'll see.

Besides, all my models are five different colors of plastic at times when I'm done with building them!! You should see the painting sessions! O.o

Lol I bet..I e seen some.

Been there too.

This was originally just gonna be a easy weather job..lol

Never