Whats Lying on your Workbench MK IV

Urashiman

Well did a rush job with this guy just to get fixed from the great glue explosion. Fixed his chest waist and legs. Repaint him on the front after some sanding to get smooth again. Decals start flaking off everywhere. So thing I removed a bunch of hip and leg decals and painted on. Still have a lot more to do but now he is displayable for now. I'll get to him again when I get my other projects done.😁

I'm kinda digging the new red and yellow on him.

IMG_20240710_154015266_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240710_162432853.jpg

IMG_20240710_162440122.jpg

IMG_20240710_193845454_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240710_193859762_HDR.jpg

Not sure if anyone here watches the ZakuAurelius YouTube channel, but he’s doing a model contest for old to gold. Basically taking older kits and doing the best you can with them.

I noticed a lot folks here recently doing some older type kits and might be worth looking into. He said has to be Mecha, so even if it's something like Macross, it can’t be a fighter only kit, but could be battroid or Gerwalk modes. 

12 minutes ago, Big s said:

Not sure if anyone here watches the ZakuAurelius YouTube channel, but he’s doing a model contest for old to gold. Basically taking older kits and doing the best you can with them.

That sounds fun

42 minutes ago, nonner242 said:

That sounds fun

UPDATE:

You'd think by now I'd learn my lesson about "older kits". Well... apparently, I haven't:

100_0736.JPG.121247c56a440948aaec2ad9ca4b4c9d.JPG

The entire transform for the central chest crumbled to pieces on me. It took the hinge for the nose, the central chest and the chest door with it. This happened while I was using plastic welder to fix a final part in position; the result was plastic welder getting all over my freshly-polished canopy. Also for some weird reason, the nose split in half lengthwise just under the canopy; the following pic was after I attempted to save the nose by trying to smooth down the ragged areas and "squaring off" where the cockpit/ canopy had separated (the other side has a gaping maw that doesn't look too promising):

100_0740.JPG.0b7b6eb486fa1bc180e8be7f3a4494e4.JPG

I also scraped off as much plastic welder as I could from the canopy, but it's pretty badly hazed here. Started with my polishing films before setting this aside, which is why it looks "rough sanded'. The side glove vanes completely disintegrated to crumbs; all that was left were the polycap joints.

In any event, I'm stepping back from this unholy disaster to reconsider if I want to continue with this one or not. It's shaken my confidence that badly. :(

12 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

UPDATE:

You'd think by now I'd learn my lesson about "older kits". Well... apparently, I haven't:

100_0736.JPG.121247c56a440948aaec2ad9ca4b4c9d.JPG

The entire transform for the central chest crumbled to pieces on me. It took the hinge for the nose, the central chest and the chest door with it. This happened while I was using plastic welder to fix a final part in position; the result was plastic welder getting all over my freshly-polished canopy. Also for some weird reason, the nose split in half lengthwise just under the canopy; the following pic was after I attempted to save the nose by trying to smooth down the ragged areas and "squaring off" where the cockpit/ canopy had separated (the other side has a gaping maw that doesn't look too promising):

100_0740.JPG.0b7b6eb486fa1bc180e8be7f3a4494e4.JPG

I also scraped off as much plastic welder as I could from the canopy, but it's pretty badly hazed here. Started with my polishing films before setting this aside, which is why it looks "rough sanded'. The side glove vanes completely disintegrated to crumbs; all that was left were the polycap joints.

In any event, I'm stepping back from this unholy disaster to reconsider if I want to continue with this one or not. It's shaken my confidence that badly. :(

I'm feeling for you. You put a lot of work into that for it all to come to naught. :sad:

Do you have enough parts between the two kits to salvage it into just Soldier mode?

Edited by Thom

1 hour ago, Thom said:

I'm feeling for you. You put a lot of work into that for it all to come to naught. :sad:

Do you have enough parts between the two kits to salvage it into just Soldier mode?

No. All the other kit had were the arms, what was left of the feet and the missile pod and gun.

Effectively, this project is dead; there's nothing to hold it together in soldier mode.

More residual glue damage sanding till smooth.

And more flaked off or ruined decals painted.

Getting more done my free HR after work than my late weekend off work spree's lol

Really debating about some custom symble or stripes on him. Make him more his own🤔

Maybe pin stripes or skull and crossbones on a sheild. I have some extra 1/60 1/48 macross decals🙄

IMG_20240711_161648524.jpg

IMG_20240711_162212320.jpg

IMG_20240711_162645254.jpg

IMG_20240711_172807649.jpg

On 7/11/2024 at 3:05 PM, Thom said:

Well, try not to get too discouraged @pengbuzz. Just look at those cool Airwolf and Streekhawk models. Do you have enough parts in your 'bin' to kit-bash a small 'pallete-cleaner' project?

No, I don't.

Anyways, this is just going in the trash. Waste of 50 dollars and several weeks of effort.

My humble apologies to everyone here. No one needs my melodrama. Post after this has been removed.

Edited by pengbuzz

On 7/11/2024 at 10:27 PM, pengbuzz said:

No, I don't.

Anyways, this is just going in the trash. Waste of 50 dollars and several weeks of effort.

My humble apologies to everyone here. No one needs my melodrama. Post after this has been removed.

No need. We've all been there when the urge to hurl the model across the room strikes! You gave it a great try, but the kit wasn't up to the challenge. As I said before, look back at your successes, as they far outweigh any mess-ups.

Thom

@Wewyllenium Great looking additions. though my eyes almost bugged out at the pilot's... ahum... qualifications...:D

Edited by Thom

2 hours ago, Thom said:

No need. We've all been there when the urge to hurl the model across the room strikes! You gave it a great try, but the kit wasn't up to the challenge. As I said before, look back at your successes, as they far outweigh any mess-ups.

Thom

@Wewyllenium Great looking additions. though my eyes almost bugged out at the pilot's... ahum... qualifications...:D

New U.N. space airbags 👍🏻

16 hours ago, nonner242 said:

Apple seed😆 always gets me confused I don't know why

No no no… that is an AV-98 Ingram :)

@Wewyllenium btw: now I remember why the pilot looks so familiar. That is my Macross M3 milia pilot figure, but with added „tanks“. Hahhaha

@nonner242 It's cool to see an old Dougram kit get built up. Is that under the Revell Robetech boxing?

@pengbuzz I'm sorry you're having trouble with that kit. It sounds like your having problems with a solvent attacking the plasticizers or something similar. Hang in there and don't give up! I'm on my THIRD iteration of this plane I'm designing. Your build has been looking great so far!

@Wewyllenium When looking at models in a show, you always see what details people have added to their kits. You have a couple that REALLY stand out!🤣 ALL of the mods look GREAT!

The newer iteration of the SDF looks like a BEAUTIFUL print too!

@electric indigo Looking GOOD! Is that the 1/20th scale kit?

SECURITY WARNING - It's off-topic, but I thought you guys might like to know that the Temu shopping app is Chinese malware / spyware. Artstechnica did a good online write-up on it and there is a current lawsuit against them. The app has access to your texts and other data it should not have. - MT

Edited by MechTech

1 minute ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz I'm sorry you're having trouble with that kit. It sounds like your having problems with a solvent attacking the plasticizers or something similar. Hang in there and don't give up! I'm on my THIRD iteration of this plane I'm designing. Your build has been looking great so far!

All that was left were arms and legs, MT. The head, main torso and nose are GONE; literally crumbs that weren't even recognizable. :(

I'm not sure about the red plastic version, but the grey one has very soft plastic that reacts quite poorly with tube cement. I think liquid cement would be a disaster.

I appreciate the encouragement bro... please don't get me wrong. But continuing is impossible at this point now.

3 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

All that was left were arms and legs, MT. The head, main torso and nose are GONE; literally crumbs that weren't even recognizable. :(

I'm not sure about the red plastic version, but the grey one has very soft plastic that reacts quite poorly with tube cement. I think liquid cement would be a disaster.

I appreciate the encouragement bro... please don't get me wrong. But continuing is impossible at this point now.

IMG_2757.webp.637a00ac839ccbaef3d6112d0c9a0dea.webpwas curious if this is the same basic kit that you were working on. If so it’s getting a rerelease for $16 bucks at most hobby shops. They’re rereleasing the other types as well. I’m pretty sure the plastic will probably hold up better since it’s basically new for being an old mold. Sure it’s probably gonna have some basic old school construction problems, but I’d imagine the quality will be better.

38 minutes ago, Big s said:

IMG_2757.webp.637a00ac839ccbaef3d6112d0c9a0dea.webpwas curious if this is the same basic kit that you were working on. If so it’s getting a rerelease for $16 bucks at most hobby shops. They’re rereleasing the other types as well. I’m pretty sure the plastic will probably hold up better since it’s basically new for being an old mold. Sure it’s probably gonna have some basic old school construction problems, but I’d imagine the quality will be better.

That looks like it.... I'll investigate it!!

43 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

I have one of those but I thought it was a new mold. I haven't opened mine yet..on back burner for a bit. I thought the one he had was a 60 or 72 scale also.

4 hours ago, MechTech said:

@nonner242 It's cool to see an old Dougram kit get built up. Is that under the Revell Robetech boxing?

Yes it's a old revell Robotech defenders Thoren 1/40

Or a Dougram Roundfacer H8

Or a Battletech Griffen😁

@pengbuzz I'm sorry man! That sucks! The good news, you KNOW that model now and can make the new one better!

YES - that is the very same kit after all these years! Aoshima is just re-popping the old molds. I still think it's the best model of it. The fact that it transforms is cool! I was bummed back in the 80's that the Legioss kit actually transformed. The Valks were only parts-fromers.

@nonner242 Cool! I love the Dougram kits. The designs looked possible to go into production. - MT

1 hour ago, MechTech said:

@pengbuzz I'm sorry man! That sucks! The good news, you KNOW that model now and can make the new one better!

YES - that is the very same kit after all these years! Aoshima is just re-popping the old molds. I still think it's the best model of it. The fact that it transforms is cool! I was bummed back in the 80's that the Legioss kit actually transformed. The Valks were only parts-fromers.

Well, you can make the valks full-transformable. But by the time you're done, you may as well get a 1/60 Yammie or a KitzConcept version.

As for the "new" one; that depends upon availability and price (whether a place around here gets one in stock).

7 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

The cheapest price I’ve seen so far is at Hobbysearch, but I really didn’t look too hard. They have a lot of pics from the instructions. Maybe if you know someone that is doing some orders, you can give them the cash to save on shipping since that will be more expensive than the actual model. Possibly see if they become available at hlj and maybe someone can put it on their private wear house or something.IMG_2758.jpeg.953363fa33eef75f9e3d63d38676cad6.jpegIMG_2759.jpeg.3d60084446f03103792b53405f0eb1ef.jpegIMG_2760.jpeg.a72ca8c4497a2ad0d467b630e4b49ad0.jpegIMG_2761.jpeg.1d1e3f18b9e28a67cdf73e49883a6326.jpegIMG_2762.jpeg.9289f9ec0c90b794c7759cc0f7318b1f.jpegold kit, but new plastic and fresh decals. It’s a surprisingly low price. I’m not too big on transforming kits personally, but I know some people love em

Moscow Century Mosupida……..I love that silly translation 

Edited by Big s

7 hours ago, Big s said:

The cheapest price I’ve seen so far is at Hobbysearch, but I really didn’t look too hard. They have a lot of pics from the instructions. Maybe if you know someone that is doing some orders, you can give them the cash to save on shipping since that will be more expensive than the actual model. Possibly see if they become available at hlj and maybe someone can put it on their private wear house or something.IMG_2758.jpeg.953363fa33eef75f9e3d63d38676cad6.jpegIMG_2759.jpeg.3d60084446f03103792b53405f0eb1ef.jpegIMG_2760.jpeg.a72ca8c4497a2ad0d467b630e4b49ad0.jpegIMG_2761.jpeg.1d1e3f18b9e28a67cdf73e49883a6326.jpegIMG_2762.jpeg.9289f9ec0c90b794c7759cc0f7318b1f.jpegold kit, but new plastic and fresh decals. It’s a surprisingly low price. I’m not too big on transforming kits personally, but I know some people love em

Moscow Century Mosupida……..I love that silly translation 

I was hoping more for something local; I don't know anyone doing orders right now. :(

18 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

I was hoping more for something local; I don't know anyone doing orders right now. :(

Well, that sale price will probably be around till end of November if you do find someone. Or maybe if you talk to some folks here, maybe throw in a few extra bucks for the shipping. There’s also a chance of local spots having them, but probably at a slightly higher price.

On 7/10/2024 at 2:50 AM, arbit said:

@Duymon Thank you. Glad you like the details!

Next time you need a file, PM me to get you some discounts.

Your prints came out clean. Your orientation is the best for getting clean results 👍 

Funny enough when I was about to buy your TV Hikaru I found out I had already bought it lol. It's a great sculpt :D

It was really nice that the helmet wasn't merged because it let me carefully add in the pop down visor separately. I'll def grab the milia later when I get to my M&M builds. 

These definitely look way better than the official hasegawa tv pilots that you can only obtain from gerwalk kits. 

20240712_020221_HDR-edit-20240712020310.jpg.15033cac1fef0ea1d5c88c2bcc1abcf8.jpg

Later on I will try and scale them up to 1/48 and see how they work in the dx' es and 1/48 Hase VF-1's

Edited by Duymon

2 hours ago, Duymon said:

Funny enough when I was about to buy your TV Hikaru I found out I had already bought it lol. It's a great sculpt :D

It was really nice that the helmet wasn't merged because it let me carefully add in the pop down visor separately. I'll def grab the milia later when I get to my M&M builds. 

These definitely look way better than the official hasegawa tv pilots that you can only obtain from gerwalk kits. 

20240712_020221_HDR-edit-20240712020310.jpg.15033cac1fef0ea1d5c88c2bcc1abcf8.jpg

Later on I will try and scale them up to 1/48 and see how they work in the dx' es and 1/48 Hase VF-1's

Those pilots look sharp. Excellent details.