Posted (edited)

Heads up, Assault Suit Leynos 2 has apparently hit the market. PS5 and Switch have physical releases from PlayAsia, JP and Chinese language only. Steam and Xbox versions have a digital release with English language for menu and story.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Heads up, Assault Suit Leynos 2 has apparently hit the market. PS5 and Switch have physical releases from PlayAsia, JP and Chinese language only. Steam and Xbox versions have a digital release with English language for menu and story.

Nice, if an English version for the switch comes up I’ll buy it. I’ve never actually played it and always wanted to

3 hours ago, Big s said:

Nice, if an English version for the switch comes up I’ll buy it. I’ve never actually played it and always wanted to

Same here, and I've read that physical English releases will eventually be made, just not by the same publisher for the Asian ones.

Still waiting on Scramble Vice though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I was at a retro convention last weekend.......though it was very small, no where near as cool in comparison to what I used to go every year in Portland. I picked up a few things to my collection like a GBC, and Advanced and first Gen DS....lots of games. But I also got a Sega 32X and Sega CD Mark 2 that's being delivered to me tomorrow. 
However neither one of these units are coming with cables....partially why I got them so damn cheap. At least the CD is coming with 1 of the EMI plates. 
Trying to find appropriate cables for these two additions to go with my Genesis 2. WHen I look online everythings low rated cause the AV cable going from the Genesis to the 32X has 5v pins which can fry both units. I think I found AC Adapters for both CD and 32X, but do I need any cables for the Sega CD? 

Also......games.....I know there's not much title wise on the 32X since roughly only 40 games ever got made for it. But Sega CD has got quite a fair share and not sure what I should interest myself with. 

15 minutes ago, Hikuro said:

I was at a retro convention last weekend.......though it was very small, no where near as cool in comparison to what I used to go every year in Portland. I picked up a few things to my collection like a GBC, and Advanced and first Gen DS....lots of games. But I also got a Sega 32X and Sega CD Mark 2 that's being delivered to me tomorrow. 
However neither one of these units are coming with cables....partially why I got them so damn cheap. At least the CD is coming with 1 of the EMI plates. 
Trying to find appropriate cables for these two additions to go with my Genesis 2. WHen I look online everythings low rated cause the AV cable going from the Genesis to the 32X has 5v pins which can fry both units. I think I found AC Adapters for both CD and 32X, but do I need any cables for the Sega CD? 

Also......games.....I know there's not much title wise on the 32X since roughly only 40 games ever got made for it. But Sega CD has got quite a fair share and not sure what I should interest myself with. 

For starters, I recommend Snatcher, Lunar, and Android Assault/Bari-Arm.  Bari-Arm is a cool shooter that is exclusive to the Sega CD IIRC.

2 hours ago, Hikuro said:

I think I found AC Adapters for both CD and 32X, but do I need any cables for the Sega CD? 

SegaCD doesn't need any special cables. There's an audio cable if you have a Genesis 1 and want stereo sound, but it is a standard part with a headphone connector at each end.

4 hours ago, Hikuro said:

But Sega CD has got quite a fair share and not sure what I should interest myself with. 

For laughs and nostalgia of the time, Night Trap. It’s bad, but for the time it seemed a lot better than it actually was. And there the don’t play it when your parents are still awake factor for the time.

Mostly, I really enjoyed a lot of the space shooters on there.

Got me Terminator........cause honestly everyone tells me the Sega CD version is the BEST port that came out and I got this sucker on the Genesis as well and it frustrates me.
Also got Star Wars Rebel Assault, Lunar since the sequel is on my Saturn I won't bother with that, Wing Commander, def had to get Snatchers, Sonic CD, Earthworm Jim, and NBA Jam cause man I loved playing that. 

I also found a place online that sells reproduced 32X games and CD with all the trimmings. But man the 32X library they offer is almost nothing it's really small. Sort of bums me out! 

So I guess the only thing left is just the bridge cable between the 32X and the Genesis. 

My brother gave me a little handheld system (anbernic) that emulates lots of systems and is preloaded with roms. I just spent my train ride back from SDCC playing DarkWizard from the Sega CD... train ride flew right by... I forgot how grueling that game was. 

Oh wow I looked up Anbernic.. such a great way to play old games from any system. I'm already happy to play emulators on PC, but to do it on a purpose-built mobile hardware makes me excited all over again.

I think the Switch has really moved the posts forward on how we game, and now there's more attempts to do that with (almost) full-fledged systems like the Steam Deck & to lesser extend the PS Portal.

On 7/28/2024 at 7:32 PM, JB0 said:

Don't buy repros. No point paying for pirated software.

I'm not paying $400+ for 32X titles like Chaotix or whatever. Some 32X titles are fairly cheap, but some others are incredibly expensive. Even Sega CD games are like "Woah are you kidding me?!". I went to a local game shop who had no idea what I was asking for being Sega CD power cable or the link cable for the 32X. But they had some Sega CD games for 200+ and I laughed going "pass on that." 

Ended up having to go on ebay again to get the link cable, a correct 8 pin version but that won't show up until I think next week. The Sega CD power cable arrives Friday. Bums me out, gotta wait the entire week just to play something. Thankfully I'm on vacation next week and can just binge stuff. 

On 7/28/2024 at 1:57 PM, Hikuro said:

I don't have a lot of experience with the Sega CD, but at one point I set out to play every 32X game released in North America that didn't also require the Sega CD (I think about 33 games in total).  I actually didn't finish; I only got through A-S.  But from what I remember, the best 32X games were probably Knuckles Chaotix, After Burner Complete, Metal Head, Space Harrier, and Blackthorne.

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of headlines in the British press today about some kind of huge comeback announcement, I presume they must be referring to this right? [1]

[1] In case you missed it, popular Brit beat combo "Oasis" have announced a reunion tour. No way, sis!

2 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Lots of headlines in the British press today about some kind of huge comeback announcement, I presume they must be referring to this right? [1]

[1] In case you missed it, popular Brit beat combo "Oasis" have announced a reunion tour. No way, sis!

As an American I'm aware of, but largely unfamiliar with, the ZX Spectrum. But I hear Brits talk about it the way us Gen X Yanks talk about the NES. If they ever did a mini console version (like they did with the C64 and the Amiga) I'd pick one up out of curiosity.

5 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

Never cared for oasis. They reminded me of a weird sleepier version of the Beatles. Maybe their radio songs weren’t their best or something.

3 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

As an American I'm aware of, but largely unfamiliar with, the ZX Spectrum. But I hear Brits talk about it the way us Gen X Yanks talk about the NES. If they ever did a mini console version (like they did with the C64 and the Amiga) I'd pick one up out of curiosity.

For a Speccy a mini would be the size of a paperclip!  A friend of mine had a bunch of the mainboards for them put up on his wall in the later part of the eighties.  

The 8bit Guy has a couple videos on the line of machines and they engineering/design of them was impressive.

Yes, as far as the British computing scene of the 80s goes, the Spectrum - the humble "Speccy" - is essentially our NES. In fact, its arguable that its impact was even greater here because it was an actual computer and inspired a good many industry figures of the day to get their start in coding (even if for the vast majority of users, games were the main use). There were other rivals, like the BBC Model B (roughly comparable to the Apple II in terms of cultural impact because it was, for a long time, the school computer here), the slightly more upmarket Amstrad CPC464 (often bought down to the Speccys level due its hardware being similar enough lazy ports that failed to take advantage of the Amstrads abilities were commonplace) and representing AMERICA! of course - much more so than the Apple II - the Commodore 64, the computer your friend down the road always had. Atari had a presence, but more through their arcade games than their computers which were relative rarities.   

As with many things here, even the retro computer scene can be argued to have an element of class rivalry -  the BBC was the upper class, establishment offering and the Speccy the humble working class hero that could punch above its weight. How true that is in actuality, though... most owners choices were probably more dictated by what they, or in many cases, their parents could either afford or were talked into buying by a salesperson in "Dixons".

The BBC did a fairly good comedy docudrama on this era called "Micromen" a while back. Its worth seeing just for Alexander Armstongs portrayal of Sir Clive Sinclair as a kind of low-rent Bond villain (not to mention the  famous opinion on "Jet Set Willy"... ).

As far as Oasis goes, I'm not a big music person but at the height of their fame they were pretty much inescapable.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

3 hours ago, F-ZeroOne said:

As far as Oasis goes, I'm not a big music person but at the height of their fame they were pretty much inescapable.

They were big on the radio when a lot of other dull low energy music was getting big for a bit. It was like a modern version of easy listening or elevator music making a comeback 

I'm not sure if theres any external distinguishing features between the A and B, the main difference is that the B has 32K RAM as opposed to 16K. I always thought the Model type was labeled on the front but apparently not.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

• 2 weeks later...