R.I.P. Peter Keefe

Peter Keefe, a producer who worked in dubbing anime during the 1980s, has passed away.

News courtesy of the Anime News Network

He is best known for splicing two unrelated anime shows (Hyakujuu Ou Golion and Kikou Kantai Dairugger XV) and combine them through editing as "Voltron: Defender of the Universe". Another title he worked on was adapting Seijuushi Bismarck as "Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs".

My condolences for him making two popular anime titles best known to both anime fans and non-fans who didn't watch it (AKA pop culture lingo). Thank you.

Peter Keefe, a producer who worked in dubbing anime during the 1980s, has passed away.

News courtesy of the Anime News Network

He is best known for splicing two unrelated anime shows (Hyakujuu Ou Golion and Kikou Kantai Dairugger XV) and combine them through editing as "Voltron: Defender of the Universe". Another title he worked on was adapting Seijuushi Bismarck as "Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs".

My condolences for him making two popular anime titles best known to both anime fans and non-fans who didn't watch it (AKA pop culture lingo). Thank you.

That's sad. I have to note however, that in reading a couple of obituaries about him, not ONCE as anyone called him a "visionary creator" or anything like that. Why does Carl Macek get all the laurels, as "the man who made anime popular," and as the "beloved creator of Robotech," whereas Peter Keefe just gets, "Producer of Voltron."

And, um...first Macek, now Keefe...is Sandy Frank long for this world...?

I liked Voltron back in the day. R.I.P.

So I'm guessing this guy didn't let the stuff he worked on back in the 80s get to his head, right? Or at least the industry didn't overly praise him.

Yeah...Voltron had two cool robot designs, but it was completely bowdlerized for its American run, which most likely leads to its lack of praise. I think it's one of those where you can get the toys now and appreciate them...but watching the entire series again is more of a chore than a pleasure.

At least, that's my assumption...since I haven't watched the show since it first aired, and I was never really into it in the first place...

I remember having the theatrical version of the first couple of episodes put together as one movie on Beta. To me, it left a very good impression of what it was about. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the rest until it started showing up on Saturday morning timeslots and recently on DVD. I don't know, much of what came afterwards felt different, maybe because of the monster of the week pattern. Oh, and Sven got replaced, that came out of nowhere. It was a big let down after what the movie established.

On the other hand, I liked how WEP was able to make fun of themselves in the promos for the Golion DVDs.

That's sad. I have to note however, that in reading a couple of obituaries about him, not ONCE as anyone called him a "visionary creator" or anything like that. Why does Carl Macek get all the laurels, as "the man who made anime popular," and as the "beloved creator of Robotech," whereas Peter Keefe just gets, "Producer of Voltron."

And, um...first Macek, now Keefe...is Sandy Frank long for this world...?

Unlike Macek & Keefe, Sandy Frank has something going for him that will immortalize him forever...

With that said, for those having trouble re-watching Voltron, give Golion a spin. It's still cheesey & old, but with significantly more carnage, and all super robot-ism's in place.

Edited by Keith

• azrael locked this topic