Yamato 1/60 VF-11C

wewe

bxvf11.jpg

Yamato VF-11C

Got this one for 250 SGD from a retailer here in Singapore.

Here's a preview of this fine Yamato toy.

prevvf11c02.jpg

prevvf11c03.jpg

prevvf11c04.jpg

prevvf11c05.jpg

This is a mid February 2010 release of a retool, repaint and reconstruct of the VF-11b.

This toy got damaged the 1st time I transformed it. I demanded for a replacement or service but I was redirected to a shop that specialized in fixing toys. My initial quote was 80 SGD for a fix. A parts replacement would cost 100+ SGD excluding shipping. I said screw that!

WEWE COLLECTION

Here's the damage and how I fixed it.

The Problem

fix1u.jpg

Locking tab easily broke on the 1st transformation. My hunch. Because the flashing on the plastic was not trimmed properly, there was excess tension on the tab causing it to lock tighter. With the plastic being brittle, it easily broke off during release. Note that this tab is molded on the fuselage which is the most important part of the toy. To replace the part requires disassembling the main body of the figure.

fix2.jpg

fix3.jpg

The consequence of that small locking tab breaking off is a nosecone that easily bends on the slightest push.

The Fix.

fix4.jpg

I used grade A non fast drying industrial steel epoxy for the job. I initially roughen the part where I applied the epoxy. I had the epoxy shaped to resemble the broken-off tab.

fix5.jpg

After 24 hours, I trimmed excess epoxy to accurately replicate the original tab's proportions.

fix6l.jpg

It locks perfectly, securing the nosecone.

The "Fix" was a success. The epoxy holds well and feels more resilient than the plastic.

I've sent these over to multiple forums, to the retailer, the referred toy fix shop and Yamato's office in Hongkong.

I have 4 Yamato 1/60 Valks. I know how to handle these toys.

I like Yamato's efforts. Hope this serves as a warning on how to handle the toy.

WEWE COLLECTION

Ah the beer. It's just there as a reference of scale. It was supposed to be Budweiser (the beer referenced as a missile in DYRTL) but I forgot to buy some when I did the pictorial. I also love the beer. :D

I was not drunk when I broke the figure.

Ah the beer. It's just there as a reference of scale. It was supposed to be Budweiser (the beer referenced as a missile in DYRTL) but I forgot to buy some when I did the pictorial. I also love the beer. :D

I was not drunk when I broke the figure.

haha.... don't drink and play toy.

I love asahi too, and I had couple of those on my way back to atlanta from changi.

@VF-18S Hornet

The legs on my copy are tightly held in. I tried to yank one off just to see how it was constructed. So far the tension holding them to the pelvis joints work well on my copy. :D

@Graham & Vi-RS

Thanks mates.

Yup. Bud's just sweet yellow water :lol:

I guess the epoxy is holding up pretty well. I'm happy now.

I'm still in negotiation with my retailer for the acquisition of replacement parts while this vf is still in stock and circulation.

Moderators please delete this page. Moved to the official VF-11C thread.

Thanks and cheers.

WEWE