Well I for one wish I didn't see that final trailer, it feels like it just spoiled a crap ton of the film. And that popcorn bucket..........wtf serious? XD 

6 hours ago, Hikuro said:

And that popcorn bucket..........wtf serious? XD 

Yeah, the ladies are gonna leave their boyfriends for it. I guess they needed some attention after that whole dune popcorn bucket fiasco 

Edited by Big s

On 7/18/2024 at 4:29 PM, Hikuro said:

Well I for one wish I didn't see that final trailer, it feels like it just spoiled a crap ton of the film. And that popcorn bucket..........wtf serious? XD 

It was made perfectly to spelunk the moist buttery nether regions of the Dune bucket.

18 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Drool.

A fun literary side note... this ship, the Corbelan IV, appears to be named for a character in Joseph Conrad's novel Nostromo (from which the original movie's ship drew its name). In this case, from the priest Fr. Corbelan.

The Marine ship Sulaco from the movie Aliens is named for the fictional port city in which Joseph Conrad's novel Nostromo is set. 

Alien: Earth wrapped filming and started the post-production process.

Set 30 years before "Alien", it deals with the origins of Weyland-Yutani and the creation of artificial life, with the Androids as a first step.

"It's the story of humanity trapped between its primordial parasitic past and its AI future and they're both trying to kill us so there's nowhere to go"

Nostromo seems to exist already.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Hadn't seen any reviews and it's making me nervous, lol.

That’s just because they all went to go see Deadpool again. They’ll eventually have to check out aliens, but they may need to go for another viewing of Deadpool again a couple more times.

29 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

It is quite odd this. 

21 minutes ago, Big s said:

That’s just because they all went to go see Deadpool again. They’ll eventually have to check out aliens, but they may need to go for another viewing of Deadpool again a couple more times.

It's a once off film for me. I get it that the theatres have been barren with engrossing content, but DP3 is going to age fast. Look at the last Spiderman... 3 months of shine, and then slipped into the "Oh yeah, that film" category. 

37 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I've seen some, it's out there, just not from the regular well known instagram people yet. One person I watched this morning was a 2 minute straight out of the theater quick review and said it was good, border-lining with ALIENS. Utilizing sound and lack there of with the environments to help bring some scariness to the mix. 

Ridley Scott saw a rough cut of the film and gave notes Alverez one of them was about the length of the film. 

Here's some fun behind the scenes stuff that I caught today in my feeds that made me go "Oh cool, this is fairly neat looking." It looks like they're really putting in some care and attention to detail to making it a good film. I'm really crossing my fingers for this one. I don't expect it to be say 90%+ on RT, I'll be happy if it's between 78-80%+ from the critic scores....and I'll be super thrilled if it's in the 80's-90's from the viewership cause THAT is where it really matters.

55 minutes ago, Hikuro said:

Here's some fun behind the scenes stuff that I caught today in my feeds that made me go "Oh cool, this is fairly neat looking." It looks like they're really putting in some care and attention to detail to making it a good film. I'm really crossing my fingers for this one. I don't expect it to be say 90%+ on RT, I'll be happy if it's between 78-80%+ from the critic scores....and I'll be super thrilled if it's in the 80's-90's from the viewership cause THAT is where it really matters.

RT has been totally compromised. I think the best thing to do is to either go with what one of the critics that you trust or reviews from audience members that have had similar opinions as your own

1 hour ago, Big s said:

RT has been totally compromised. I think the best thing to do is to either go with what one of the critics that you trust or reviews from audience members that have had similar opinions as your own

just me, but I don't know a single professional movie critic anymore, I stopped caring about long after siskel and ebert....................and Jay Sherman! To many modern day "professional" movie critics have a tendency to spout political agenda and crap. I go off of the audience way more than anything. 

26 minutes ago, Hikuro said:

just me, but I don't know a single professional movie critic anymore, I stopped caring about long after siskel and ebert....................and Jay Sherman! To many modern day "professional" movie critics have a tendency to spout political agenda and crap. I go off of the audience way more than anything. 

True and if they get to wordy I'll ignore the review outright. That being said I use IGN reviews for movies as it seems to be more in tune with our kind of audience. I'll look at the critics reviews before paying money to see a movie that may cause buyer's remorse.

7 hours ago, Big s said:

This. I follow x2 YT with similar tastes, and then wait for my film-addict friend to watch it on opening night as he's views align with mine. 

Still, it's odd the lack of heavy reviews 10 days before opening. Especially for said franchise. 

6 hours ago, Hikuro said:

Risky going off by audiences, too many bot armies or agenda driven consumers. I know a guy that feels guilty saying a film was bad as it might offend someone else. People are too conditioned these days.

5 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

True and if they get to wordy I'll ignore the review outright. That being said I use IGN reviews for movies as it seems to be more in tune with our kind of audience. I'll look at the critics reviews before paying money to see a movie that may cause buyer's remorse.

I use to be religious with IGN reviews 10 years ago. Then suddenly I got hit with 3 blatant strike outs, and that was me out. 

59 minutes ago, Raikkonen said:

Risky going off by audiences, too many bot armies or agenda driven consumers. I know a guy that feels guilty saying a film was bad as it might offend someone else. People are too conditioned these days.

This is one factor and the other are the actual reviewers that have been bought by the company. It’s completely destroyed the credibility of rotten tomatoes on both the audience scores and critics scores. And the problems have become worse recently. Just can’t trust them at all unfortunately 

14 hours ago, Big s said:

+1. Though these days if it’s a movie I’m interested in watching at the cinemas, I won’t first read the entire piece in case of spoilers, but just key summary to know if it’s worth watching or not. Then only get back to whole review after the show.

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Keep forgetting about the ALIEN series coming to Hulu and trying to wrap my head around its premise that it takes place 30 years before the first film...

Sounds dumb but the people behind it have a good resume so who knows?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien:_Earth

30 years prior... on Earth?  Terrible idea.

On 7/18/2024 at 6:53 AM, electric indigo said:

Romulus' biggest question answered:

Hide contents

I called my local AMC theater this morning to see if they'd have the buckets thinking this was the only version.  They said to be here bright and early as they expect a line for them as soon as they open and to be gone immediately.  I'm really glad that I decided to go to ebay and see if they're already being scalped instead of taking time off work to hang out at AMC because each theater has their own exclusive bucket and cup combos.  AMC's is lame, just a normal popcorn bucket with an unrealistic, plastic looking facehugger hanging off the side. The one pictured here is from Cinemark.  There's one other head bucket from Regal, but it's just all black with white teeth, looks as bad as the facehugger from AMC.  Look them up on ebay if you're interested.  There's a sortuv cool glowing facehugger tank bucket, but this is the only one that I would consider worthy of display.  I hope it looks as good in person as it does in pictures since I just dropped $75 for it.

Edited by Pontus

16 hours ago, Big s said:

Not totally... but it's seldom wise to trust the critic scores because many news outlets that employ critics are owned by parent companies or subsidiaries of one or more of those major studios, and when it comes to franchises a lot of reviewers are not fans so their priorities tend to be very different to what fans are looking for in a franchise movie and they score accordingly.

Audience scores are more reliable, but not the immediate audience scores because franchise stuff often ends up having its initial score tainted by agenda-driven review bombing (e.g. The Acolyte) and it takes a while to filter out the noise and get enough legitimate audience scores to truly reflect the quality or lack thereof of the work.

15 hours ago, Hikuro said:

Siskel and Ebert were no different, art in all its forms has always been political and art critics of every stripe have always waxed lyrical about it.

People just didn't pay attention to it back in the day because art critics are longwinded nerds.  It only gets attention now because people've discovered they can make money off of clickbait if they pretend to be angry about literally everything that doesn't fall neatly within their very narrow comfort zone.

4 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Keep forgetting about the ALIEN series coming to Hulu and trying to wrap my head around its premise that it takes place 30 years before the first film...

Sounds dumb but the people behind it have a good resume so who knows?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien:_Earth

There doesn't seem to be much info about what it'll actually be about, but 30 years before the first film would tend to preclude any xenomorphs... which means we're likely back to the same "AI is the real monster" bone they were worrying in Prometheus and Covenant.  

1 hour ago, Big s said:

It’s still gonna be the best show in the alien franchise 

That bar's a trip hazard in Satan's wine cellar... and considering how the last few installments went, I'd still be inclined to bet on them hosting a limbo contest.