Spiral War needs Reviewers and Editors

Knight26

Those of you who have been around a while and who have seen my posts know that I have been writing a book for some time. I have just completed a major rewrite that was inspired by comments made by a publisher, he liked my style and the overall book but felt it dragged too much at the beginning. I also recently discovered a website called webook where prospective writers can post their work for review and editting. Thing is I don't like the idea of openning it up to the general public audience, so I am considering posting it in the private section where I can extend invites and or except invites for peer review. My plan is to get comments and edits on the book through webook and then selfpublish through createspace. As I do not have a large amount of funds just lying around I was planning to reimburse anyone who helps me with the book by listing them in the dedication section and sending them a free copy of the book. So, anyone who is interested please fill out the attached form and e-mail it to me at the e-mail address within. This is just a standard contract, more to cover my butt from anyone stealing the book then anything else, and it will also provide me with your addresses so I can send you the book when it publishes.

Spiral War: Academy

PS, I am also looking for a cover artist, my wife, a very talented artist, has volunteered to do the cover, but is too busy with the house, kids, animals, etc... to get much work done on it. So, I am considering trading the remains of my valkyrie collection for some coveart, PM me if interested.

Contract

Edited by Knight26

A suggestion? If you want to be taken seriously as a writer, skip all of this and go straight to an industry professional. Many established authors and editors hire themselves out to read the manuscripts of aspiring writers and help them develop their books. It's also an opportunity to network if the person likes your work.

Looking at that contract you posted, it seems like you're asking prospective editors to do a heck of a lot of work for some used toys. You might find out that you get what you pay for.

Of course, if self-publishing is the route you want to take, then you should continue with what you have lined out in your original post.

Actually Roger, one of the individuals on here who volunteered is a professional editor and has volunteered in order to help out in exchange for acknowledgement in the book and a free copy. As for sending it to established editors/writers yes I could try that, and have, however most charge a pretty high rate that I cannot afford to pay at this time.

I also realize that I am not offering a lot in compensation and that as a result I might not recieve the highest quality advice and comments, but I am willing to go with that, also the contract is negotiable to the individual, some on here just want to review, others to full on editting, it is up to the individual.

Selfpublishing is of course not the route I would prefer, but breaking into the industry is extremely hard unless you know someone. That is why I am planning to initially go with self-publishing, I then have a few contacts I can go through in order to have the book looked at by some in the industry. It is a back door approach, but one I hope will work, by submitting the book directly to a few professional reviewers after it is publishers, reviewers who are very much into giving new authors, especially those using other then traditional methods, a more then fair shot.

As for paying people off with toys, that was for the cover art, as there are many talented artists on here, and I know from talking with them, that they might consider that, that was why I even mentioned it.

It all depends on what your ultimate goal is. From what I've been told by people in the industry, self-publishing is pretty much a one-way ticket: once you've done it, you're seen as "damaged goods." The perception it creates in their minds is that you aren't capable of creating work that's good enough for someone else would pay you for it. This is a perspective that you won't get from the self-publishing web sites, because they have to justify their existence, of course.

Even if do you make it, the climate for science fiction writers is pretty rough right now. The current trend is that publishers will pick up a new writer only for a book or two and then move on to the next new writer. It's cheaper to do this instead of continuing to pay a writer a progressively larger fee for each book, or rely on the back catalog of veteran writers.

Also, don't plan on quitting your day job. Even if you could crank out a book evey year you might have a tough time actually making a living off of what you earn.

Just injecting a little sunshine into your day. ;p

I have no intention of "quitting my day job" as you say, I enjoy it, and I enjoy writing, and if self-publishing marks me as "damaged goods" then so be it, so long as I can get my story out there. ANd I realize that making a living writing is hard to do, I don't plan to make a living at it, if I make some extra money at it, great, if not, oh well. And if you have some hot ticket to industry insiders then why not add something more helpful, not just berating what I am trying to do, which to an extent is to also give members here, who have been watching my progress on this for some time, get a leg up on reading a book, that many have looked forward to for some time.

And if you have some hot ticket to industry insiders then why not add something more helpful, not just berating what I am trying to do, which to an extent is to also give members here, who have been watching my progress on this for some time, get a leg up on reading a book, that many have looked forward to for some time.

You apparently took my posts personally. I think you should reread them. I was in no way "berating" you, I was just telling you what I've heard, and I encouraged you to stick to your original plan if that's what you felt would serve you best.

Last piece of advice: if you're going to put your work out there, you're going to have to dull your sensitivities a bit. ;p

Yeah I visit writers beware about once a month, as well as Piers Anthony's list of e-pubs and PoDs, both have said good things about createspace. Writers Bewares only comments about webook were to be careful about putting your work in the public version to avoid theft. As for WBs comments about PoDs and self publishing I have taken them to heart and that is why I am looking at create space, or other highly reputable e-pubs and PoDs that they and PA have recommended. In fact it was one of the e-pubs they recommended that gave me the feedback I needed to do this rewrite. Also, the contract I used is based off of one they linked to. I know what I am doing Roger, I might not be an industry insider or have as much experience as some, but I am doing the best I can in a diffulct industry at a difficult time.

What did you write Ginrai, reviews? And, don't worry I don't plan on writing ever being my primary source of income. Be since if it made that kind of money, but I doubt it.

Edited by Knight26