newbie questions

Vegas

hello everyone, lately ive been thinking of starting doing model kits but i dont have any idea of how to make one.

but first, i need advice of what kind tools and equipment to get me started? im just really looking for something cheap for now

and secondly, what model kits do you guys suggest for me to start on, im thinking on building a car or a plane and even a macross kit ?

ultimately my goal is to have some nice good lookin macross kits and have custom valk toys.

thanks in advance

Edited by Vegas Valkyrie

Basic cheap kits would be the best to start with. Cheap = basic/easy. Grab your self a tube of modeling glue and pair of nail scissors or something of that nature and a scaple knife. then you good to go at the basic level. Follow the instructions and you away. Getting better is just a matter of doing it again and again. If you can do lego you can follow the easier kit instructions.

thanks bigF, ill swingby on a hobby shop here to look around and get a basic tool kit set. i really wanna do a valk....wish me luck

are there any websites that worth visiting for modelling forums and online shops?

Starshipmodeler.com is the site for sci-fi modelling. A lot of great friendly people there, many modelers here are also members there. The store there has the best customer service around.

As for a general online hobby shop, (with just about everything you could think of) is Squadron.com. I've had great transactions with them and they often have good stuff on sale.

I do recommend some inexpensive kits, but check them out and make sure they aren't "cheap quality" kits. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to build a kit that is just made so poorly that parts don't fit, or that needs tons of cleanup before starting.

If you can find some of the older cheaper Hasegawa or Fujimi kits, they may have some simplified details or cockpits, but the parts fit should be good. Newer Revell kits (such as their F-15e and f-18 Super Hornet) are good value for your dollar too.

I recommend a nice liguid glue too, stay away from the Testor's orange tube stuff. I use Testor's Model Master liguid glue (make sure you get the black bottle that says Model Master on it) it has a metal tube applicator that works well. They have another type that is in the same bottle (I think it is orange though), but has a plastic nozzle that clogs almost immediately, so stay away from that.

Along with the glue, I'd recommend an Excell or X-acto hobby knife with some #11 blades and a few sheets of different grit wet-or-dry sandpaper. That should get you started.

For detail painting, you can start with some Testors, Model Master or Polly scale paints. Tamiya paints are good too, but not always best for brush painting. For finish painting on large exterior surfaces you'll probably want to start with some spray cans of the previous brands, but eventually, an airbrush will be best if you get serious or start building a lot of kits.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and good luck with the hobby!

x-aco blades and tools are the best.

I use Revell liquid glue in the applicator thingie and Tamiya liquid poly cement in tubes. the Revel stuff is great water like and great for small stuff and tin layers etc. It is fittled with the hyperdemic like aplicator but is prone to drying up and you need to pull the tube out and soak it in some solvent or poke a very thin strand of wire down it to push out the blockage. The Tamiya stuff is great as a gap filler and a stronger glue for load bearing areas etc, it sands well too.

x-aco blades and tools are the best.

I use Revell liquid glue in the applicator thingie and Tamiya liquid poly cement in tubes. the Revel stuff is great water like and great for small stuff and tin layers etc. It is fittled with the hyperdemic like aplicator but is prone to drying up and you need to pull the tube out and soak it in some solvent or poke a very thin strand of wire down it to push out the blockage. The Tamiya stuff is great as a gap filler and a stronger glue for load bearing areas etc, it sands well too.

thanks again bigF

ill update you guys on what i will be building but im leaning to a valkyrie kit.

ive been checking ebay, i wanna know your opinion on this http://cgi.ebay.com/AIRBRUSH-CITY-AIR-COMP...id=p3286.c0.m14

Edited by Vegas Valkyrie

The airbrush looks ok for a basic unit. It will probably be noisy and pulse the air stream since there's no tank on it. Remember, you get what you pay for (I paid for something that could wake the dead - -but it works)! - MT

One thing people haven't mentioned is a good putty/sealer. Its one of the most critical supplies you can buy, since you use it to fill in nasty seam lines. Personally I use two products: Tamiya basic putty to fill in larger gaps and Gunze Mr Surfacer (1000 is a good all around number) to fill in smaller seams. You can get it from HLJ, but I've heard that its getting difficult to get it from U.S. suppliers. There are some domestic alternatives, which others can speak to, just don't buy the testors stuff that comes in the grey tube.

Edited by Noyhauser