Podcast: Codename Robotech

Ginrai

In this week's episode of Destroy All Podcasts DX, we review the first part of our Robotech Trilogy of Pain, the "exciting" compilation movie, Codename Robotech.

Yes, it's a compilation movie made from Robotech made from Macross. And it sucks. Hard.

www.destroyallpodcastsdx.com

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....You were expecting character & plot development for an extended version of Gloval's Report whose only purpose is to sell the show to networks & give kids a preview of ROBOTECH? When networks want to buy these shows they want a demo reel highlighting the best the show has to offer not drawn out storyline(that's for when the show airs on tv). I understand the need to bash ROBOTECH because most of you all were ROBOTECH fans & found out that RT was a chopped up algamated version of SDF MACROSS but that podcast was completely nitpicky. Codename is not a real movie it's an extended commercial for RT. In the case of Minmay, these were rules set up by MACROSS that Minmay was the apple of everybody's eyes.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

What's your point? We were clearly aware of what Codename Robotech was and made several references to it. The fact is it is still retarded and boring and we are well within our right to tell people that it is retarded and boring. And the way people react to Minmay's age is ridiculous regardless of which version you are watching, but in Codename Robotech, you don't have any of the character development or the knowledge that Hikaru is himself only 16 when she is 15.

What the hell did you think we expected from it, considering we labelled it part one of our Robotech Trilogy of Pain? We expected pain! And we got it! The POINT of criticism is to be nitpicky and deconstruct the product in question! It's not like we could pick apart the themes and motivations of the characters, because there AREN'T ANY. The way Codename Robotech edits Macross you do not get any of its anti-war sentiment, you do not get any of its love triangle, et cetera. Codename Robotech removes almost everything that is good about Macross except for the transforming robots.

Your basic argument is that Codename Robotech is above criticism and that argument is totally insane. Nothing is above criticism, least of all a poorly done compilation movie barfing all over one of our favorite shows. It's also especially worth reviewing because ADV did such a pisspoor transfer on the DVD and consumers have the right to know this.

Edited by Ginrai

What's your point? We were clearly aware of what Codename Robotech was and made several references to it. The fact is it is still retarded and boring and we are well within our right to tell people that it is retarded and boring. And the way people react to Minmay's age is ridiculous regardless of which version you are watching, but in Codename Robotech, you don't have any of the character development or the knowledge that Hikaru is himself only 16 when she is 15.

Your basic argument is that Codename Robotech is above criticism and that argument is totally insane. Nothing is above criticism, least of all a poorly done compilation movie.

You can criticize but don't nitpick. What were you expecting DYRL or Titanic or something? RT was a kid's show that was dumbed down from the MACROSS version. The only real difference between RT & G.I. Joe was that people got killed. CODENAME is an unofficial pilot whose purpose is to sell a series. One thing that was said in the podcast that I agreed with was you could substitute CODENAME if you didn't want to watch the first 13 or so episodes of MACROSS SAGA.

I vaguely recall watching this as a kid on KTLA, it was either this or the "Rick Yamato" version of the pilot, they showed it the day before Robotech started officially. Listenning to the podcast I agree this thing sounded terrible, though I have found your last couple of podcasts to be somewhat lacking, maybe it is the material you are reviewing but for some reason the podcasts just aren't coming off a well as before. At least IMHO.

How would you have us review this? It's very difficult to go in depth on a film that has no depth. We talked about the reason it was created, and we talked about its flaws. Are we to heap praise on what you admit is a glorified special effects reel, most of wihch is pretty unimpressive since they use a lot of footage from poorly done Anime Friend episodes? One of the stated goals of our podcast has been to review every Macross movie, TV series, or OAV series, and we are going to do all the Robotech movies as well. I'm not sure what would have pleased you if we are not at allowed to talk about Codename Robotech's flaws and it doesn't really have any poisitives. There's little to recommend it, especially when it is so badly presented by a completely botched DVD transfer.

Sorry if folks are not enjoying our podcasts lately as much as our old ones. If you have specific complaints I'd love to hear them. Feedback is very important to us.

How would you have us review this? It's very difficult to go in depth on a film that has no depth. We talked about the reason it was created, and we talked about its flaws. Are we to heap praise on what you admit is a glorified special effects reel, most of wihch is pretty unimpressive since they use a lot of footage from poorly done Anime Friend episodes? One of the stated goals of our podcast has been to review every Macross movie, TV series, or OAV series, and we are going to do all the Robotech movies as well. I'm not sure what would have pleased you if we are not at allowed to talk about Codename Robotech's flaws and it doesn't really have any poisitives. There's little to recommend it, especially when it is so badly presented by a completely botched DVD transfer.

Sorry if folks are not enjoying our podcasts lately as much as our old ones. If you have specific complaints I'd love to hear them. Feedback is very important to us.

My suggestion would be to pick interesting topics instead of "easy targets".

LOL, next week's podcast, we attack Robotech's toy commercials. No plot, bad acting, and crappy toys. Stay tuned to our slaying of the worst mini movies ever!

I'm just joshing, I haven't heard the podcast yet but it did strike me as something very odd bother with. Is HG actually selling it now or is it still just a pointless bonus on some DVDs?

LOL, next week's podcast, we attack Robotech's toy commercials. No plot, bad acting, and crappy toys. Stay tuned to our slaying of the worst mini movies ever!

I'm just joshing, I haven't heard the podcast yet but it did strike me as something very odd bother with. Is HG actually selling it now or is it still just a pointless bonus on some DVDs?

It's a bonus on The Elements of Robotechnology disc; I have mine from the Protoculture Collection remastered discs.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

You can criticize but don't nitpick.
One late night, about fifteen years ago, I was standing around drunk in a Dunkin' Donuts. While staring at the board, trying to decide what to order, my friend leaned over to me and whispered, "Dude, don't get a variety of donuts, get an assortment."

I just flashed back to that moment. Thank you.

It's only on the Elements of Robotech Bonus DVD, which is why that's the image I used for the podcast. I mean, there's some old video tapes, but why bother? Once again, we reviewed this for thoroughness' sake.

Coming soon is our review of Robotech II: The Sentinels.

Could you please point out what is a nitpick and what is a valid criticism?

And I guess from now on we will only review things that are super good and hard to make fun of! :p

Another reason for reviewing this is I am fascinated by compilation movies, which is why we have done so many of them.

My problem with the review is you're treating this like a real feature and it's not. It's an infomercial for RT. Something to display all the fast pace action a show like RT brings to the table for a potential network. If a kid saw this pre-airing of RT I think they'd be amazed by the mecha action & not be concerned with really who the characters are(that'll start when show airs 5 days a week). I think your nitpicky because you act like RT was the only show combining/editing/slashing anime(Macron 1 & Voltron anyone). The Minmay stuff was nitpicky because that was set up from the original MACROSS; Minmay was always set up to be the idol of the show. Maybe she was too young but as the show progressed Minmay aged right along with the show. You have to right to review it but keep in mind what it is. For all it's faults CODENAME fulfilled it's mission to sell the show. CODENAME is not a great film storywise but it's not meant to be.

Terry, you are wrong. We have reviewed several compilation movies (Brain 17 the Daitetsujin 17 movie, the two Ideon movies, the Yamato compilation movie, Shadow World the Dia Apolon movie, Space Warriors/Battle for Earth Station S/1 the Baldios movie) and spoken at length about how nonsensical and disjointed they are due to the slapdash nature of the editing. We weren't treating it as a theatrical feature film, we were treating it as another goofy anime compilation movie, which is a regular topic of review on our podcast. I love compilation movies and if you don't want to hear about them, go listen to a podcast that refuses to review them.

Edited by Ginrai