Transformer Super Thread 6

Repaints are stupid at this point, the regular movie line deluxes alone could support Hasbro for the next 6 months---if they made them! Remember when Hasbro shipped entire cases of Darth Maul due to demand? They sold. They should do the same with concept BB. Or more accurately, they should have done it in November. Hasbro is just costing themselves sales with weird repaints kids don't wont, when parents are desperate to buy normal Jazz/BB/Prime/Barricade etc.

I don't know about that, at my local targets, the transformers sections are cleared out. Only the real gear and the key chain stuff remains.

Japanese Classics Optimus, Bumble Bee and Grimlock's paint schemes:

http://tformers.com/transformers-1st-look-.../8781/news.html

The allspark seems to be bemoaning these as too boring. Personally I like them because they're doing what I wanted/expected, applying more G1ish paint apps to the molds. This bodes *very* well for the Megatron and Astrotrain repaints.

I like them. Slight improvement to what we got. Of course, I'm a fan of the more subdued as opposed to ricer Bumblebee and wacky surfer-dude Prime. I wouldn't re-buy these guys for the Japanese schemes, though if Megatron is along these lines, that I would certainly consider re-buying.

I like them. Slight improvement to what we got. Of course, I'm a fan of the more subdued as opposed to ricer Bumblebee and wacky surfer-dude Prime. I wouldn't re-buy these guys for the Japanese schemes, though if Megatron is along these lines, that I would certainly consider re-buying.

I completely agree.

I'm about to make a rash generalization. Transformer fans are relentlessly nitpicky to the point that they suck *all* of the fun out of any TF conversation. Don't be foolish like me and say that you're happy because these colors are more toon accurate and that bodes well for a G1 colored Megatron because you'll receive a snarky correction that there was never a Classics cartoon. <_<

Ultra Magnus is the autobot leader in Animated, Sentinel Prime reports to him, and Optimus Prime reports to Sentinel Prime, and is a rookie that leads his own team of autobots, the only veteran being Ratchet.

The Classics repaints shown do not impress me that much, they are more subtle which is good, but I have those 3 figures and don't feel the need to buy the repaints. They aren't that much of an improvement. I did miss out on Astrotrain and Megatron, so if both are more g1 based in their paint schemes then I will preorder them. I've handled both, I like them a lot, but passed initially due to their paint schemes. I'm not a g1-hate-everything-else fanboy, but in this case, the g1 schemes for both characters was superior to what we got in Classics. Heres to hoping the japanese versions of both are in g1 colors.

Japanese classics aren't cheap. :( The BBTS preorders have the voyagers for 42.99 and the deluxes for 24.99.

I'm not concerned with preorders. Honestly, I liked the Classics line for what it was, updated re-imaginings of classic characters. It never bothered me that they weren't 100% G1 accurate. I mean, I'll admit that the Japanese paints are slightly better than what we got, but I was never unhappy with what we got, save Megatron. So, I guess I'd consider getting Japanese Megatron. Oh, and Thundercracker. Maybe they'll get a Thundercracker that's not butt-raping expensive.

Maybe they'll get a Thundercracker that's not butt-raping expensive.

QFT!!! <_<

As for the other Japanese Classic repaints ... meh. I like what we got. But I too, am waiting to see if they repaint Megatron in G1 style colours. That would be cool.

Just had my family X-mas get together and I'm happy to say my two young nephews(3 and 5) are happy with the Movie Leader Class Prime & Megatron, dlx Concept BB, and Barricade I gave them.

Dangard Ace: putting toys in the hands of children....as long as I get one for my own collection first. :p

My brother-in-law: I hate you for making me try to comprehend these useless Hasbro instructions. :lol: :lol:

I never realized until now how confusing Hasbro instructions must be to the "uninitiated". I mean, they're confusing to me, who's been TF'ing with their instructions since 1984...

That's just evil, dropping hard-to-transform-TF's on unsuspecting parents. :)

Send him BW Tripredacus! It'd be worth what you have to pay for it. THAT is the ultimate TF challenge IMHO.

I agree, I am sick & tired of repaints ... and lame ones at that!!!

<_<

If they have to do a repaint, why not something good???

E.g., Cybertron Shortround into a G1 Seaspray???

Hasbro is probably trying to save very obvious G1 repaints of minor characters for Universe, possibly to see IF they can secure trademarks on G1 names. If you've observed lately, Hasbro has been trademarking every G1 name they can get their hands on, so they don't lose them again.

Repaints are stupid at this point, the regular movie line deluxes alone could support Hasbro for the next 6 months---if they made them! Remember when Hasbro shipped entire cases of Darth Maul due to demand? They sold. They should do the same with concept BB. Or more accurately, they should have done it in November. Hasbro is just costing themselves sales with weird repaints kids don't wont, when parents are desperate to buy normal Jazz/BB/Prime/Barricade etc.
Most of these mainline redecos and new toys were decided a long time ago, but Hasbto has at least THREE different releases of those characters you just mentioned in mostly the colours they appeared in the movie for 2008 - Screen Battles with human figures redecos, Target Allspark slight redecos and Premium accurate-ish redecos.

Hasbro just doesn't want to bury people in the exact same decos, and likely they figure a shortage is better than steady supply to ensure demand.

I completely agree.

I'm about to make a rash generalization. Transformer fans are relentlessly nitpicky to the point that they suck *all* of the fun out of any TF conversation. Don't be foolish like me and say that you're happy because these colors are more toon accurate and that bodes well for a G1 colored Megatron because you'll receive a snarky correction that there was never a Classics cartoon. <_<

The point is creativity over comparatively unimaginative reproduction. One thing that seperates Hasbro from TakaraTomy (and essentially the West from the East) is that Hasbro looks forward and tries to find new ways to do things, or create new things entirely. TakaraTomy, in Asian tradition, prefers to refine what has already been created and to pay homage to 'the glorious past'.

We wouldn't have been given the reimagined designs of the current Classics without Hasbro wanting a new take on the original G1 characters.

I don't know about that, at my local targets, the transformers sections are cleared out. Only the real gear and the key chain stuff remains.

Better than mine.

Last time I looked, the sum total of Transformers merchandise was a Nightbeat-7, a "tattoo kit" and ... one other activity set.

I'm not exaggerating. There were EXACTLY 3 items on the shelf.

Hasbro just doesn't want to bury people in the exact same decos, and likely they figure a shortage is better than steady supply to ensure demand.

A SIX-MONTH shortage, culminating in a complete and total absence of product for the entire month leading up to Christmas?

No sir.

Hasbro dropped the ball.

They dropped it so hard it punched through the ground, came out in Australia, launched into space, orbited the Earth three times, and landed in the opponent's goal.

Hasbro dropped the ball.

They dropped it so hard it punched through the ground, came out in Australia, launched into space, orbited the Earth three times, and landed in the opponent's goal.

Actually I think the ball missed Australia - I went into Kmart today and had a quick look at the TF section... absolutely NOTHING but for at least 100 TF branded bouncy balls :wacko: and those crappy keychains.

Hasbro IMHO made a big mistake creating way too many movie toys THAT DON'T ACTUALLY TRANSFORM! :angry:

This shortage of toys isn't confined to just Transformers mind you, my main focus is Star Wars figures (Hasbro again surprise surprise) and their distribution is just as pitiful, and the case assortments frequently baffling.

Movie Cybertron toy redecos.

BIG DADDY!

Actually I think the ball missed Australia - I went into Kmart today and had a quick look at the TF section... absolutely NOTHING but for at least 100 TF branded bouncy balls :wacko: and those crappy keychains.

Hasbro IMHO made a big mistake creating way too many movie toys THAT DON'T ACTUALLY TRANSFORM! :angry:

This shortage of toys isn't confined to just Transformers mind you, my main focus is Star Wars figures (Hasbro again surprise surprise) and their distribution is just as pitiful, and the case assortments frequently baffling.

From Teletraan I, the Transformers wiki:

"Hasbro actually has almost nothing to do with distribution (when Product A arrives in Store B) beyond making sure the manufactured product leaves the factories and shipyards of China at the desired time. Once the items arrive on US shores, they are almost immediately sent from the ships to the distribution centers for the retail chains that ordered them. From there, it's more truck rides to various regional warehouses, which is all controlled by the retailers, not Hasbro. After that, the schedule for taking product from those warehouses and putting it on shelves is dictated by each chain's inventory system.

It's conceivable that Hasbro could take more control of the situation, but that would require chains like Wal-Mart to release the vise-like death grip they have on manufacturers' nuts that lets them dictate how the system works... and they're sooooooo not doing that."

Blame your retail chain for not ordering enough Transformers in the first place for Hasbro to determine overall production numbers. Hasbro mapped out the toyline months and months in advance, and they're already going to release a bunch of redecos of the core movie cast, or retooled versions in the hopes of satisfiying demand. However, Hasbro is not faultless because they themselves did not believe the toyline would do as well as it has, and was going to end the movie line around March 2008.

way too many fan made figures, customs, and outside company figures that are better than official figures. sad.
Because those unofficial toys don't really have to adhere to an overall design and development budget, among other things, such as safety testing, mass production costs, distribution costs ect.

They aren't designed to be sold for $10 to children, either.

Nah, I just prefer to defend them logically from a different perspective than the average internet fan IF there's an issue that can be defended or explained. I often find that internet fan passions and indignation over things not going the way the fans wanted often clouds ones mind to reasonable explanation and real world realities to what is essentially a business that owns a franchise of toys primarily made for children aged 5-10.

That said, I think it's a serious mistake for Hasbro to delay Animated by 4-5 months after the series premiere (and presumably the airing of the first season) just because they wanted to make a few more quid on the Movie line. Hopefully they will have figured something out, such as delaying the airing of the series proper until the Animated toys actually appear.

If you want to see REAL ass kissing, look at Kickback at TFW2005.com.

Nah, I just prefer to defend them logically from a different perspective than the average internet fan IF there's an issue that can be defended or explained. I often find that internet fan passions and indignation over things not going the way the fans wanted often clouds ones mind to reasonable explanation and real world realities to what is essentially a business that owns a franchise of toys primarily made for children aged 5-10.

That said, I think it's a serious mistake for Hasbro to delay Animated by 4-5 months after the series premiere (and presumably the airing of the first season) just because they wanted to make a few more quid on the Movie line. Hopefully they will have figured something out, such as delaying the airing of the series proper until the Animated toys actually appear.

In my opinion Kickback doesn't do any ass kissing, and I've been part of the tfw boards for a couple years now. He'll chime into threads defending Hasbro sure, but he does tell the truth, he doesn't have any defensive fanboy rants, he comes in and paints the picture that no one else seems to comprehend.

Come on, you know you looove to bash/rant on Takara/Japanese tastes once in a while. ;)

Edited by Twoducks

Come on, you know you looove to bash/rant on Takara/Japanese tastes once in a while. ;)
Given they've driven Transformers into the ground and went nearly bankrupt in 2000, why not? Did you know that joint Transformer product development is largely funded by Hasbro? That's why both companies released mostly the same products while only recently (after the merger with Tomy) have Takara developed their own high price point Transformers products.

Takara (or the Transformers design and engineering division of Tomy) deserves plenty of credit for their technical skill and genius, but the suits in charge of marketing and decision making are awful.

By contrast, Hasbro has generally handled Transformers well on their side of the pond for the past 11 years, despite the shrinking toy market to video games and massive competition from Power Rangers (which is the most sucessful robot-themed toyline/series in the United States). I'm not saying Transformers could ever achieve that sort of status in Japan, but TakaraTomy could have certainly done alot better than make poor decisions and/or hamstring Hasbro's decisions, and then decide that their failures were down to the line's western origins.

Edited by Fit For Natalie

Hope you enjoy several hundred dollar 'collector items' breaking for no apparent reason :D

Hasn't happened to my 139 strong 1/48 collection yet, neither for my 13 YF-19s. The only thing that has worried me recently is the MP. Just like the handle on the MP Megatron Gun handle. The product sucks after all.

Edited by kensei

Hope you enjoy several hundred dollar 'collector items' breaking for no apparent reason :D

I have zero broken Macross toys.

Super

Trans

Formers

Universe

:lol:

I've kind of lost my passion for Transformers - I think the Armada/Energon/Cybertron lines sucked the joy out of it for me... the Movie was the last time I was actually happy with Transformers - but ultimately I've thrown myself back upon nostalgia and retain only by boxed G1 reissues (both Commemorative and TFC) and a plethora of boxed BW II, BW Neo and BW Takara reissues (BWReborn Primal and Megs too:) ) ...

Animated has me mildly happier than the Kiddie Trilogy - at least I think it does...

But all in all, I guess I really find it annoying that the property is revamped rather than continued all the time...

Another way to put this: I can't remember when the last time I bought a Transformer was....

VFTF1

Another one of Jin Saotome's awesome customs: Classics Warpath.

I have a question for any of you customizer's. I do a little painting on figures every now and then. I'm very much a novice. I always avoid painting any area of a figure that moves, pegs or has any friction against it. Looking at this Warpath custom, how do you paint it so that when you peg the legs together during transformation the paint on the peg doesn't flake or chip off?

I've kind of lost my passion for Transformers..

VFTF1

You know what, I was thinking that very same thought this morning. I was evaluating my 'display room' as I do every year or so, and trying to figure out which toys would be doomed to storage and which would remain. Every single Hasbro Transformer made the 'storage' list. And by that I mean the entire Classics line and all of the Movie figures I have. The only TFs that were allowed to stay were Takara's ML Soundwave and MP Starscream, which is essentially a Takara toy. And then I realized something. Ever since I started collecting TF's again in the RID era, NONE of the toys have had a lasting enough appeal for me to keep them on permanent display. They're like cheap toy crack that is relatively easy to obtain yet not as fulfilling as the other toys I like that are made with genuine style and artistry, like Gokins and Yamato's "breakable collectors item" valks. I really love the TFs when they're new, but the affection wears off quickly and after a year or so they go in the box.

That realization made me reevaluate my collecting habits and made me think that I should probably try to ignore Transformers from here on out. All the cheap toy crack just turns into clutter that I don't do anything with and have little appreciation for in the long run.

I sometimes wonder to what extent the fandom factors into it. Years ago my collecting focus was Star Wars, and a combination of the prequel movies, hard to find toys and disillusionment with the fandom caused me to lose my passion for it quickly and aside from a Yoda figure or random alien here and there I have never really warmed back up to it. I feel the same thing happening with Transformers now. With the exception of a few people I by and large feel completely disillusioned from the 'average' Transformers fan and I find that my main enjoyment on the TFW2005 message board has been discussing other non-Transformers things.

Through it all I have always, ALWAYS felt at home at Macross World and have always felt this sense of well-being here that never really grabs me on other message boards. I don't know if the fandom here is that different, or maybe it is. All I know is I love Macross and the toys just as much as I ever have and I don't really see that changing any time soon. Hell, with Frontier shaping up to be a great show I might love Macross even more now.

Long story short, I think I may mostly be done with Transformers. I'll obviously give Classics 2.0 a serious look, but considering the only TF items that have lasting appeal for me are Takara's efforts, I doubt Hasbro will be getting much more of my money. Which is good, because Yamato and Bandai are pretty much getting direct-deposits from me this year. :D

Edited by eriku