Replaceing rusty/corroded screws

sidearmsalpha

I have encountered a problem recently when I took some loose reissued 1/55's and 1/65 Macross 7 Valkyries out of my storage unit. Upon close inspection, I've noticed that some of the screws have become rusty or corroded. I'm looking to replace the screws since I don't think that anything can be done about the rust or corrosion, but I have no idea how I would purchase similar screws since I don't know what size they are. Does anyone know of a method to tell what size screws I would be looking for at a hardware store? Would I just have to chance it and purchase a set of different size screws and hope that some would be about the right size? My major concern is that I would get screws that are slightly larger or have different threading and end up messing up the holes they go into.

I have encountered a problem recently when I took some loose reissued 1/55's and 1/65 Macross 7 Valkyries out of my storage unit. Upon close inspection, I've noticed that some of the screws have become rusty or corroded. I'm looking to replace the screws since I don't think that anything can be done about the rust or corrosion, but I have no idea how I would purchase similar screws since I don't know what size they are. Does anyone know of a method to tell what size screws I would be looking for at a hardware store? Would I just have to chance it and purchase a set of different size screws and hope that some would be about the right size? My major concern is that I would get screws that are slightly larger or have different threading and end up messing up the holes they go into.

There are several things you must take not of prior to purchasing new screws:

1. Size

2. Finish

3. Head type

4. Thread Pitch

The last is very inportant. You don't want to install a screw that will tear away at the plastic when re-screwing. It would cause the parts to become loose.

Another solution could be to remove the original screws, clean then with solvent, allow to dry, and paint with rust-inhibitor (semi-gloss black).

;)

most are going to be a metric machine panhead, their are places that sell common sizes for pretty cheap online, or you can go to the local hardware store

edit some are going to be high low thread for tapping into plastic

Edited by pfunk

Try soaking the screws in vinegar for a few days. I have heard that the acid in vinegar dissolves the rust.

It should at least be a cheap experiment. Once the rust is gone, you could coat the screw heads with paint to prevent the rust from returning.

Try soaking the screws in vinegar for a few days. I have heard that the acid in vinegar dissolves the rust.

It should at least be a cheap experiment. Once the rust is gone, you could coat the screw heads with paint to prevent the rust from returning.

What about the corroded screws? Anything work for those?

What about the corroded screws? Anything work for those?

thats what he was talking about, they do make a rust binder that basically turns rust into a primer like material. Ive ussed it on cars as a rust preventer after doing body work woth good success. The best thing to do is remove all the rust with a wire brush or wheel, then use that stuff, it will turn the remaining rust black and then you can paint right over it. I think it is called rust preventor and you can get it at home depot

Mix some baking soda and water, scrub the screws. Won't get them bright and shiny, but should get the rust off. I've used it on G1 Transformers.

Yeah that works for me.

The vinegar thing works too just make sure its white vinegar though.