Yamato Generations

Fred_Scuttle

Good Evening Viewers!!!

I have a few of the Yamato toys and looking at getting more. I'd like to start a thread where the information on how to identify the different Yamato Generations by toy type.

PLEASE - lets try to not let this devolve into a OMG-WTF Yamato hinges on the XXXX is the SUKZORS!!!

Please add information where you can help by toy type. I'm especially interested in how to tell the diference in the 1/48 kits. Box art? Visual differences in toys?

Thanks!

Fred

Here's an intercomparison.

Yamato VF-1 InterComparisons

Ok guys, grab a coffee and a comfortable seat. This is a short “essay†to assimilate all the little tidbits of information together to discern all the differences between the releases and re-releases. Here we go.

Now, the ones that you don't want to get unless really desperate are the 1st production run of the VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1S Focker. They have the black boxes with the Velcro on the two bottom corners. Concerning the VFs themselves, they have wing flap and nosecone problems, Fockers usually have a fuselage gap problem, but not on many. Joints are also stiff too. The nosecone also tends to fall off easily and the elbows do not stay stable when flexed to a 90 degree angle. I think that's it. Oh yeah, and the Skull is crooked on one of the VF-1Ss tailfins. The VF-1S canopy also has problems staying upright, and the headrest is straight/flat surfaced, not curved.

Let's call the VF-1A Hikaru and VF-1S Focker 1st production run the 1st generation of 1/48 VF-1s.

Now with the second production run of the VF-1S Focker and Hikaru VF-1A have the improvements. These came out after the VF-1A Max and LV, so let's talk about them first. These are what I like to call the second generation of 1/48s. VF-1A max and LV have several structural improvements over the 1st generation. They came out at about the same time, so even though they have a difference, I would like to keep them together.

The VF-1A Max was the first to come out after the VF-1S Roy Focker. It has the hard plastic pilot only with blue accents instead of red or yellow. But the most important things are that there is no gap in the fuselage, stable 90 degree elbow flexion, redesigned nosecone (addition of two horizontal tabs to the radar and corresponding grooves in a revised internal nosecone redesign), improved wing flaps that only go in one direction and don't pop loose do easily. The canopy problem that was prevalent on the VF-1S Focker is fixed from here onwards.

The LV featured all the improvements to the 1/48 line but is the only valk to be panel lined and weathered, and includes the first time ever rubber pilot.

Up until this point the headrest is flat design and all the boxes have Velcro in the corners.

I would like to classify new valk variants from now on as the 3rd generation of 1/48s. This includes the VF-1S Hikaru and the VF-1Js.

The VF-1S Hikaru was released after the Max and LV. It featured all the improvements of the 1/48s so far but is the First valk to incorporate three things: the first canon rubber pilot, curved headrest in cockpit and loose airbrake.

Next up came the reissues of the VF-1S Focker and the VF-1A Hikaru. Features all the improvements of the second generation of the 1/48s but now have no Velcro on the boxes (actually, there have been a few reports of Velcro on these reissues, Yamato probably just used up leftovers) and now feature a curved headrest like the VF-1S Hikaru. The thing is, Yamato kept the original hard plastic pilots. But, all the other things were fixed, such as the crooked skull on the VF-1S.

Continuing on the third generation of 1/48s was the VF-1Js of Hikaru, Max and Millia in that order. Hikaru was the only one to have an option of VF-1J only or a coupled FAST Pack with his valk, Max and Millia you have no choice with. Feature all the improvements of 1/48 seen so far. There are only a few structural differences and features of these 1/48s compared to the DYRL ones.

The "elbows" of the forearms are "U-shaped" instead of flat like the DYRL? Valks. Nice touch I reckon. Also, they feature the rubber TV pilots and rubbers fixed pose hands. There is a slight colour change between Hikaru and the lovebirds, a slightly lighter shade (?) of white. FAST Packs that come with the VF-1Js are coloured differently from the rest. Hikaru has a slight grey-green shade all round on has FAST Packs. Max and Millia have the same, but the NP-FB-01 Backpack Booster Unit on Max and Millia are painted with their respective colours. The NP-AR-01 Arm Units are also redesigned for the TV valks. There is no option of a ROX-2A Strike Beam Cannon for the TV valks although you can slap one on from a DYRL? FAST Pack issues if you have any to spare. (Interesting to note that even though there is a general consensus that boxes should not have Velcro by now, there were still a few people that had them even on their Millia's, which was the latest of the VF-1Js).

And of course, recently we have the 2nd reissue or 3rd production run of the VF-1S Focker due to high demand. Pretty much the same as the 2nd production run or the 1st reissue, but the dreaded crooked skull was back again, although this time you have to sit and look hard to see that it is crooked. Again, there are a few exceptions.

Hope that covers the differences.

Here's a bit on each variant for some of them:

Variant Review of the 1/48 VF-1

DYRL? VF-1A Hikaru Ichijo

This product is the toy of the VF-1A Valkyrie piloted by Hikaru Ichijo in the lavish Macross movie “Do You Remember Loveâ€. A white Valkyrie with red and black accents to uniquely mark the fighter as Hikaru’s.

This was the first 1/48 on the market that was later released again in a subsequent production run with improvements first featured on the DYRL? VF-1A Maximilian Jenius. The QC on this particular version is quite high considering this is their first run of 1/48s. The first 1/48s suffer from considerable stiff articulating joints. I recommend partially disassembling limbs and giving them a good clean, which allows the joints to move smoothly.

DYRL? VF-1S Roy Focker

The second release of the 1/48 line. This is the best representation of the VF-1S in my opinion. The head of particular interest, as the body is identical to the VF-1A Hikaru with the exception of the colour scheme. It is a very nicely designed head unit with two turrets each supporting twin RÖV-20 lasers. This head is way better than the blocky representations by Bandai. Main complaints from the public is the vertical split that runs smack bang down the middle of the “face.†Minor gripe. It has been released twice for a total of 3 production runs. The last two production runs are the best, as they have the improvements. The first edition had a crooked skull insignia on the left rear tailfin, which was fixed on the 2nd release, but reappeared on some 3rd release VF-1S Fockers. The QC on the subsequent releases are otherwise excellent and on par with the Low Viz or Maximilian Jenius VF-1A.

DYRL VF-1A Maximilian Jenius

This product is the toy of the VF-1A Valkyrie piloted by Maximilian Jenius “Do You Remember Loveâ€. A white Valkyrie with blue and black accents to uniquely mark the fighter as Max’s.

This was the first 1/48 on the market that has the improvements that were later featured on all subsequently released Valkyries. The QC on this particular version is quite high and is almost the best, second only to the Limited Edition Low Visibility.

DYRL? Style Low Visibility VF-1A (Limited Edition)

A unique colour scheme offered as a Limited Edition release only by Yamato released at the same time as the VF-1A Max. This was the first variation to feature a rubber pilot, which again is unique from the later rubber pilots. The pilot was most likely modeled off the pilot suits featured in Macross Zero. In my opinion, this has the best QC of the lot, the joints are nice and smooth nothing loose, just, everything is so perfect!

The bonus on this baby is that there are panel lines and weathering are applied before packaging. Think of it as a no fuss custom Valkyrie. The valk to have.

DYRL? VF-1S Hikaru

The most current VF-1S to date. Simply a Roy VF-1S with red accents instead of yellow. The first canon and only DYRL? VF-1 to have a rubber pilot.

QC is only a bit shoddy on this one. There are sometimes a little overspray on the paintjobs and the airbrake is generally loose. Joint mobility is otherwise fine.

TV VF-1J Hikaru Ichijo w/Super FAST Pack

The first TV 1/48 VF-1. A surprise to most, as the line was supposed to finished after the release of the 3 main VF-1's VF-1A Hikaru, VF-1S Roy and VF-1A Max. But due to the 1/48s popularity, the TV line of VF-1s were born.

The first is the well recogised VF-1J Hikaru, simply a white fighter jet with red stripes. The first valk to have a TV pilot, and the second to have a pilot figure made of rubber.

QC is great, but the airbrake is a bit loose like the VF-1S Hikaru. The problem is generally not as bad though.

A new forearm and design is introduced on this model and also a new sticker sheet.

The TV VF-1J Hikaru is the only Valkyrie to have an option of a standalone TV VF-1J, or TV VF-1J w/Super FAST Pack bundle.

The FAST Pack bundled VF-1J comes with a Super FAST Pack option set. There is no option of a Strike version, even though the missile pods are detachable and will easily accomodate a ROX-2A Beam Cannon from the DYRL? Accessory Kits.

The FAST Pack modules mounted on the arms (NP-AR-01), are redesigned and are shaped very differently from the ones found from the DYRL? Accessory kits.

TV VF-1J Maximilian Jenius w/Super FAST Pack

The next VF-1J eagerly awaited by fans predicting that the VF-1J sculpt will be milked more than once. The Max VF-1J will only come bundled with the FAST Packs.

The NP-FB-01 Backpack Booster Unit on Max's VF-1J comes painted with his respective colour, plus the armour panels on his NP-FB-01 Leg Booster Units too.

The QC concerning the functionality of this variant is pretty good. Everything moves into place smoothly. But the paint job is exceptionally shoddy in some places, probably due to the larger mix of colours and the fact that a part can only be molded in one colour. Little touch ups here and there will improve it's looks.

TV VF-1J Miria Fallyna Jenius w/Super FAST Pack

When the Max has been released, you can bet your bottom dollar that the Miria will follow soon after. Sure enough it did.

The NP-FB-01 Backpack Booster Unit on Miria's VF-1J comes painted with her respective colour, plus the armour panels on his NP-FB-01 Leg Booster Units too, not unlike her hunny-bunny, Max.

The QC concerning the functionality of this variant is pretty good, pretty close to her other half. Everything moves into place smoothly. But again, the paint job is exceptionally shoddy in some places, probably due to the larger mix of colours and the fact that a part can only be molded in one colour. Little touch ups here and there will improve her looks.

Here's the difference between a TV and DYRL? Valkyrie:

The Differences Between a TV Valkyrie and DYRL? Valkyrie

The hands are the main difference between the two types of Valkyries. The rest is only cosmetic and dependant on the paint and sticker scheme. DYRL? hands are blocky and feature articulated fingers and thumb. There is very limited articulation with these. Forget about doing any funny poses, these were made with only the thought of holding the Gunpod. Hands of the TV Valkyries are rounded in comparison and are much larger and humanoidly proportional to the rest of the Battroid.

Next are the forearms. DYRL? Valkyries have a flat closed ended forearm. TV Valkyries in contrast have a U-shaped forearm. See the picture below.

Also the FAST Packs are comparatively different on the NP-B arm units.

The first quoted paragraph is really what you want. You seemed like a bit of a newbie, so I thought i'd give you the whole shebang.

Edited by kensei

Here's an intercomparison.

Here's a bit on each variant for some of them:

Here's the difference between a TV and DYRL? Valkyrie:

The first quoted paragraph is really what you want. You seemed like a bit of a newbie, so I thought i'd give you the whole shebang.

NOT new to Macross - but New to Yamato :D THANKS!!!!

In adition to what the differences are on the toys - are there any box differences? ISBN # different - part # - date code?

Heh, thanks bro. :D

NOT new to Macross - but New to Yamato :D THANKS!!!!

In adition to what the differences are on the toys - are there any box differences? ISBN # different - part # - date code?

That's hardcore, I can guarantee that there is no difference in "box art". But, there is a difference among boxes with velcro. Early editions of the Roy 1S and Hikaru VF-1S and A and Max VF-1A will have velcro. Also the Low Viz.

There is only an inconsistency when you start to get to the VF-1Js. Some have velcro, some don't. But the VF-1Js have the improvements anyway, regardless of whether there is velcro or not.

I cannot tell you if there is any difference in ISBN or part #.

In short, you can tell the difference between a first edition Roy and Hikaru and later releases, but you can not really tell the difference between the later editions among one another (between 2nd, 3rd and 4th etc).

An extrapolative statement that I think that most people will agree on is that it is pretty well believed that you will never encounter a 1st edition Roy or Hikaru in a primary purchase setting (popular dealers such as the ones in my sig, and also direct from suppliers). The only possibility is if you buy it secondhand from ebay or a private sale.

Edited by kensei

An extrapolative statement that I think that most people will agree on is that it is pretty well believed that you will never encounter a 1st edition Roy or Hikaru in a primary purchase setting (popular dealers such as the ones in my sig, and also direct from suppliers). The only possibility is if you buy it secondhand from ebay or a private sale.

There's actually an import shop near me (Orlando) that still has a 1st edition Hikaru for sale. But that's because they grossly overpriced it - I think $200 - and nobody will pay that much. So it's been collecting dust on their shelf for a few years now.