Sv-51 transformation question

David Hingtgen

Was looking at the Sv-51 tonight and trying to figure out the transformation some more. Is the cover for the lift-fans in fighter mode, also the heatshield in battroid mode?

Also, anyone know exactly how the head/chest ends up in front of the lift-fan section? My guess is that that area does something very similar to the YF-19, lifting "up and over" to go over the cockpit area.

Do you have access to "Kawamori Shoji Design Works"? There's excellent artwork on the VF-0, and SV-51 in it.

The lift-fan cover does indeed become the cockpit cover (sic. heat shield) in battroid mode.

As the shoulder and head area are being the engine intakes in jet mode, (and the intakes remain attached to the legs when it transforms,) it appears that the head and shoulders moves forwards, with the lift fan sliding backwards. At the same time, the cockpit rotates about 90 degrees, with the armour coming over it. The nose partially retracts under the rotated cockpit, and the tip of the nose folds underneath itself, to make the stubby crotch of the battroid. Concurrently, the lift-fan assembly splits in half, with the lower half rotating down, to form the center of the back - it's 1/3 of the back, with 1/3 being the lift-fans above, and the lower 1/3 being the folded back nose/crotch piece.

Or at least that's what it looks like, to me.

I have scans of (I think) all the battroid and fighter drawings of the Sv-51. Does the newer Design Works book have any actual transformation drawings? I find the battroid rear view to actually be the most useful for figuring out transformation.

Unfortunately, the new design works books doesn't have a transformation drawing.

As for the chest area question, It looks like it follows the YF/VF-19 style transformation. Except that instead of the cockpit-area folding 90-degrees back, it looks like the just breaks/detaches vertically and slides back and adjusting the nose area down 45-degrees. The pilot may only rotate 45-degrees instead of a full 90.

In the magazine section there are pics you could find useful: here.

There are two side swingbars, they are the pieces with the canards which rotate around the cockpit. See the difference in the orientation of the canards between fighter and battroid and you will understand. On these two swingbars is attached the upper chest, and on the upper chest are attached the heatshield and the head (and the arms).

FV

I'd never considered the the "canard mounts" as functioning as swing-bars. That makes a lot of sense now, thanks. (still have to figure quite a bit more out, but I'm one step closer)

There was a pic where each section of Sv-51 was colored so you could see where each piece goes in different modes, but I can't find it now.

Well, there are swingbars for the upper chest. The heatshield is exactly over the ventral fans in fighter mode; behind the head and between the legs there is an empty space which is filled by the gunpod. The legs have their swingbar too, it has slitted holes for the ventral fans; the legs rotate 180° above the knee in battroid mode. The wings are attached to the fuselage near the ventral fans. The nose fold down in battroid. the arms are on the side of the fighter.

FV

• 2 weeks later...

As for the chest area question, It looks like it follows the YF/VF-19 style transformation. Except that instead of the cockpit-area folding 90-degrees back, it looks like the just breaks/detaches vertically and slides back and adjusting the nose area down 45-degrees. The pilot may only rotate 45-degrees instead of a full 90.

Yeah, if you look closely it appears that the cockpit is at 45 degrees and is only sheilded not covered like the VF series of fighters...

Here's a thread with picks of the animated transformation sequence.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...13341&st=60

Edited by Zinjo