Didn't Know He Was Only That Tall

Doing some reading on that 80's classic the Highlander. When I discovered that Clancy Brown aka the Kurgan was only 6'3 and a half. My height. I could have swore by the way hes portrayed he had to be 6'7 to 7' tall. All the other parts you see him in they shoot in way to suggest he's much taller then 6'3. That height is tall but not freakishly tall. Yet they film to look freakishly huge.

Then there is Hugh Jackman who I believe is also 6'3 they filmed him in X-men to look shorter but in other movies I seen him in such a kate and Leopol or Sword Fish (sorry on TV so no Halley's Berry's berries ;) ) he's portrayed as average. They film him to suggest he's not the tall side.

Damn you hollywood and your magic.

Talking about Highlander, what is the best DVD for the original movie out there?

Is there any reasserted restored sup’ up version?

I've been thinking of getting it on DVD and I am looking for the best image quality, but it seems like one of those movies that got 10 different releases and almost all them seem to have a real bad video transfer :(

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance... :)

Edited by Limbo

But how big were Kurgan's hands. That's the real issue I'm concerned about.

416495[/snapback]

God, what is it with you people and hands? Oh look Vader has little hands... :lol:

416498[/snapback]

LOL, one of the best running jokes ever. Let's face it, it's ingrained in our pop-culture, part of the internet lingo. Years from now, when VH-1 is doing "I love the '00's" specials, they'll be taking pot-shots at that one. "....sure, George W. Bush single-handedly brokered peace in the middle-east crisis, ended starvation in Africa, and established relations with the alien visitors in '07---but look! He still just wasn't up to snuff compared to the original. See? Small hands. Just like Darth Vader..."

Talking about Highlander, what is the best DVD for the original movie out there?

Is there any reasserted restored sup’ up version?

I've been thinking of getting it on DVD and I am looking for the best image quality, but it seems like one of those movies that got 10 different releases and almost all them seem to have a real bad video transfer :(

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance... :)

416499[/snapback]

I've got the imortal edition, and I didn'tthink the image quality looked bad. It looks as good as any movie filmed in the early 80s. I was more interested in getting the scenes that they cut out of the original U.S. release. Things make a little more sense, with those back.

Edited by Greyryder

Well walk a badly edited version on AMC a week ago. It was during his fight with Connery. If you believe the dialog from "Never Say Never Again" Connery is 6'2. During the whole fight fight Connery was nearly on his back crawling up the stairs as the Kurgan stood almost straight.

Hollywood has always been good at making actors look taller or shorter depending on the character requirements. It's all tricks of perspective and takes a fair amount of camera skill to really work well.

Then there is Hugh Jackman who I believe is also 6'3

And here I though that Hugh Jackman was about 5'11!!

Another actor that seems very tall in movies and TV is Cal Gov Arnold Schwarzenegger. He seems to be around 6'2-6'3 but in reallity he is about 5'11 (my height)

Dude.. speaking of Hollywood magic.. look at the treatment they do for Tom Cruise.  Dude is like 5'6 or something.

417243[/snapback]

Behold the power of risers.