Pics Of A 1/48 Milia With Anasazi's Gray Decals?

David Hingtgen

I'm trying to decide if I should use the optional gray decals Anasazi includes on the 1/48 M&M sheet----I'm thinking that the red really won't show up, and that the gray would both stand out and look better overall---but I don't think I've ever seen pics of someone who's actually done it. My main concern is how opaque the gray is, and if the red plastic would show through. (Red decals might not show up, but you don't have to worry about the red plastic showing through, it'd be impossible to tell)

As you might imagine I'm trying to find out if that's how it'd be done in real life, but bright red planes in actual service (as opposed to demo teams and other planes with all the data and warnings omitted) are hard to find, and most of the VF-1 markings are closely based on US Navy markings, which has never had a red jet that I know of. Only really red one I've found is the "Milia red" F-15 Japan has. There's also a few F-14's and 18's with red, but not overall red---they seem to usually have white markings where the red is, sometimes black. (Black is hard to read on red)

Of course, real grey planes have grey markings that can be VERY subtle, but they do specify that there should be contrast.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Milia's VF looks pretty sick! B)) . Should have grabbed one (there's always hope for a reissue).

I think all-gray would be fine - maybe you can paint a solid circle where the kite decal goes, so the white stripe/red doesn't show through. The small gray decals won't matter as much.

I think definitely go with the grey decals. Having a neutral grey against a strong red background would look great. Much better that clashing orange decals with red BG.

Dave I gotta suggest that you use the neutral grey or light grey for whatever you're working on. I really don't like using white when it comes to me coloring planes and such, I think it takes away from the color, but it basically depends on what shade of red you're using. If its a dark red, stick with white. Light red, use a neutral to light grey on it. The key is to use opposite shades to counterblance each side of colors.