4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Gotta respect the laziness... screw painting them with new color schemes, let's just cast the new toys in matte silver and knock off for lunch. :rofl:

These are some of the laziest designs, they just went build fighters and changed a little equipment and a horn here and there. They don’t even deserve newish names. It’s like if they took a Zaku and put the missile pods on the legs and said it was an actual variant that deserves being called something slightly new.

1 hour ago, Big s said:

These are some of the laziest designs, they just went build fighters and changed a little equipment and a horn here and there. They don’t even deserve newish names. It’s like if they took a Zaku and put the missile pods on the legs and said it was an actual variant that deserves being called something slightly new.

To be fair, that's actually been pretty normal UC-era design practice for decades now.  Especially in side stories.

Build Fighters just stopped did away with any remaining pretense that it wasn't purely a tactic to sell the same kit to fans multiple times.

Still... this VR movie seems like a real unnecessary addition to the Universal Century.  I can only imagine how stilted it's going to be because of all the concessions it'll have to make to VR headsets.

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Ho-hum. Wake me up when Sunrise/BandaiNamco announced an OAV or series about ADVANCE OF Z.

For what it's worth, they're re-releasing all their AoZ MG kits on PBandai at the moment.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

To be fair, that's actually been pretty normal UC-era design practice for decades now.  Especially in side stories.

I wouldn’t say decades, maybe just the last decade.

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

For what it's worth, they're re-releasing all their AoZ MG kits on PBandai at the moment.

Saw those up last week, but lack the space for many larger kits unfortunately. Maybe when I win the lotto

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Seems like Anaheim'll sell Gundams to anyone these days.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that's been their entire business model from day one.

On 3/23/2024 at 7:32 PM, lechuck said:

I'll certainly watch this, but to be honest the whole Zeon view point certainly dampens my excitement.

I just can't bring up enough sympathy for that side to care, it's also why 0080 doesn't rank so high with me.

0080 is probably my all-time favourite UC era  OVA.

4 hours ago, Graham said:

For me it’s probably 08th ms team, but I sometimes waffle between that and Stardust Memory. Although 0080 is very close. All three of them are my favorite Gundam things to watch and are far better than any movies or shows or ova’s or whatever 

This VR movie is nothing more than Bandai probing new avenues of viability for their IP. It's just as much an experiment for Bandai as it is for the consumer.

VR and required hardware isn't really mainstream household tech yet like a game console or mobile phone. So from that perspective it's understandable to me that Bandai would not go all the way in designing new Mobile Suits for this.

If this VR movie takes off, then expect them to double down on effort for new stuff and if not successful, then the movie will get a re-edit and distribution will happen via the usual channels and media for the masses to consume.

I wouldn't say that, meta upped the pricing on their Meta 3 headset because the Quest 2 was very popular. I wouldn't say it's millions, but probably a couple hundred thousand at the lowest. I've ran off a Quest 2 for almost 2 years now, there are some things I REALLY enjoy about it.....course somethings I don't. But I think this could be a fun experiment and it's not just the only thing Bandai is trying out but other Gundam related stuff on Meta. So I'm looking forward to it. 

17 hours ago, Graham said:

Same.  That was a Gundam UC title with some actual soul and an artistic statement to make.

Plus the NT-1 is just a damn beautiful design on its own.

3 hours ago, lechuck said:

VR and required hardware isn't really mainstream household tech yet like a game console or mobile phone. So from that perspective it's understandable to me that Bandai would not go all the way in designing new Mobile Suits for this.

I'm surprised they're bothering to probe it at all... VR seems to be struggling pretty hard thanks to the technology's relative immaturity limiting what can be done in terms of user experience.  Game developers have really struggled to find anything meaningful to do with VR due to the limitations of the technology.  Most VR games are more like tech demos or gimmicky casual games than the kind of fully developed immersive experience VR hardware developers keep promising.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Plus the NT-1 is just a damn beautiful design on its own.

Honestly, there isn’t a design from that one that I don’t love. Everything from the updated GM’s to the adorable Hygog, I love them all

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that's definitely looking more like the kind of mook horror show you'd expect for a Zeon-centric story set during Operation Odessa.

Looks like they're drawing more than a bit on [i]08th MS Team[/i]... I'm pretty sure there was a copy of Norris Packard's MS-07B-3 Gouf in there, and I guess that explains why the Gundam looks like a variation on the Ez8.

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Well, that's definitely looking more like the kind of mook horror show you'd expect for a Zeon-centric story set during Operation Odessa.

Looks like they're drawing more than a bit on [i]08th MS Team[/i]... I'm pretty sure there was a copy of Norris Packard's MS-07B-3 Gouf in there, and I guess that explains why the Gundam looks like a variation on the Ez8.

I'm going to pass on this. I'm kind of tired of the Zeon bootlicking every UC ova seems to be about these days.

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of the UC being the One Year War and not much else.

Trying to make the Principality sympathetic is, as I've said before, a massive uphill battle in its own right considering the war crimes they're guilty of.

The American voice acting is terrible to an extreme here. I’ll probably check it out since the Zeon’s were always more likable than the feds, but there better be a subtitle version that doesn’t sound like crap.

If there isn’t, I’m turning it off the moment I hear someone say “even so”.