When Queen, Van Halen, And Jpn Marionation Combine

This has got to be one of the coolest music videos ever.

STAR FLEET was the title to a British Sci Fi show using Japanese Marionation (think Thunderbirds but the puppets look like anime characters) with awesome sentai action (vehicles combine to form a robot) fighting evil alien insect mecha

The kicker was that it featured Brian May and Roger Taylor of Queen PLUS Eddie Van Halen on guitar.

THIS IS INSANE!!! Two of the best band in history, with Brian May's disembodied head floating in space to 80s synthesizers and background visuals of awesome Japanese minature work and special effects. And the freaking robot is called DAI-X!!! How cool is that? And it's theme song is by Eddie Van Halen!

This has the same feeling of Daicon but blows it out of the water!

Starfleet was cool, remember watching it as a kid growing up in UK in the '80s. The X-Bomber is a very cool looking ship.

Oh, and Flash Gordon rocks. One of the greatest sci-fi movies ever. Give me Flash over SW eps I-III anyday.

Graham

That was pretty cool. You have ripping guitar jams, vehicles that combine to make giant robots, tearing the landscape apart to crush little tanks, Robert Mays' disembidied head and pentagrams! How cool is that!

Now I see where F-ZeroOne gets his avatar from. :)

i remember when we first got a vcr in 83-84 would take me to teh videostore to rent tapes and these kinda things were the only things avilable at the time.

Im not sure i ever saw starfleet however I also remember one where they had to rescue dinosaurs....and ermm the guy and girl hero would form up into one err person

Edited by SpacePirateNeko

Just awesome. I downloaded the MP3 but it doesn't do so much for me without the Holy Froating Head of Brian May.

Too bad I never got to see this since I moved to the UK at the end of the 80s when suddenly robots weren't cool anymore. Yet ninja bloody turtles were. -_-

Oh, HELL YEAH! I vaguely remember this show! Not the video per se, but robot Dai-X, and those bad guys with the wierd skull-thingies on their eyes. I seem to recall having seen this as a kid, probably some Saturday morning kiddie fodder. But definitely familiar. Soo funky, but still cool as hell for an 80's kid like myself. :p

That was pretty cool. You have ripping guitar jams, vehicles that combine to make giant robots, tearing the landscape apart to crush little tanks, Robert Mays' disembidied head and pentagrams! How cool is that!

Now I see where F-ZeroOne gets his avatar from. :)

383127[/snapback]

Heh. :) Its an enemy fighter carrier from the show, I've always loved the wasp-like design. Also, the name "F-ZeroOne" is in fact taken from the series.

"Star Fleet" is almost the lost Go Nagai series - his design studio worked on the character designs.

The series is unfortunately pretty hard to find - the UK only had a couple of compilation videos released; the US got the complete series on VHS but edited. There was a Japanese DVD (and LaserDisc) release but thats also quite hard to track down, and obviously unsubtitled. I understand some anime conventions in the US have shown the series from time to time.

There is also a Macross link, too! The legednary Takatoku toys, makers of the 1/55 "Chunky Monkey" Valkyrie, actually produced some toys for the series. I have a couple and they are really good; the DX "Big Dai-X" toy in particular is interesting because it transforms into a kind of "rocket turtle" mode - something it never did in the show!

Believe it or not, the music we got for the Western version was probably the better deal - the Japanese music is... er... interesting in comparison. ;) A common misconception is that Brian May did the music for the TV series. This is not true, he did however, release an album of music inspired by and covering the theme music - as you're seen!

SpacePirateNeko - the series you'll thinking of is called "Born Free" (not to be confused with the more famous film about lions!). It was an attempt to blend anime characters with stop-motion model dinosaurs.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

Starfleet was cool, remember watching it as a kid growing up in UK in the '80s. The X-Bomber is a very cool looking ship.

Oh, and Flash Gordon rocks. One of the greatest sci-fi movies ever. Give me Flash over SW eps I-III anyday.

Graham

383117[/snapback]

That was great

Guest Bromgrev

Man, what I wouldn't give for Starfleet on DVD! I loved those insectoid alien ships, and the X-Bomber, and the robot, and everything about that whole damn show.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century was my other TV mainstay of the time. For Flash Gordon I preferred the original saturday-morning movie matinee shows, though.