The Megazone 23 Garland By Yamato Thread

Renato

Sorry to hear your problems Ginrai, and thanks for the pictures.

I must be lucky, or i take really care about my toys, 'cause I have a bunch of yammies and still didn't broke a single antenna:

- 1/60: 7 of them, still good condition after over 100 transformations.

- 1/72 : yf-19, YF-21, VF-11, except bad sculpt on YF-21 and mostly on YF-19 ver2, everything is ok (I've transform them about 60 times each )

- 1/48 : 2 of them (1st version VF-1a hikaru, last version VF-1S roy) nothing to declare. don't have crooked skull on my VF-1S ...

- Escaflowne : bad sculpt, transformation is weird, hard to stand a pose but no breakage.

- Garland : still have not even a stress mark (I've transformed him about 10 times)

Ginrai, sorry to hear about the breakage. Hopefully a 2nd run can fix the problems, but I do understand how you feel nonetheless.

Buy reading your reviews for the past few years, I can pretty much say your definitely careful with your toys, so hearing about the breakage surprised me.

I was so hoping to see a review of this on masterforce.org! Eh guess we have to wait till yamato makes a better garland.

While the Garland does appear to have numerous weak points, statistically speaking, the number of reported breakages is so far very low. Still sucks for those of us with broken Garlands tho! :(

At least replacement parts should not be hard to obtain for it as there are no licencing issues like there are with Macross toys.

I think generally Yamato's products are pretty durable, given the inherent strength limitations of complex transfoming plastic toys. I'm certainly not planning to stop buying from them because of one broken toy.

I've had close to twenty 1/48 and only broke one BP-8 hinge through my own fault. No other parts broken, despite some falls and rough handling. I'm satisfied it's a tough toy.

I've owned over a dozen YF-19 and VF-19A and only broke 1 x Tab B on the first release. The ver.2 YF-19 and VF-19A are very durable toys, especially the VF-19A with solid knees, which is a brick.

Owned maybe 20 x 1/60 VF-1 and never had a breakage.

Owned several original YF-21, with no breakage.

Did break the crappy detachable landing gear on the YF-21FP, but the FP version is crap anyway.

Have some stress marks on my VB-6, but no breaks.

Q-Raus are all fine.

My 4 x VF-11B-FP are all fine, no problems at all.

Of course had a couple of hip breakages on the dozen or so original VF-11B that have passed through my hands

My 3 x VF-0S are all fine, except for one bent tail spike, that was easily fixed.

Graham

I found an email address on Yamato USA's website and emailed them about it politely. They told me thanks for bringing it to their attention and asked me to resend the photos, so we'll see what develops from there.

If Yamato solves the problem by sending me shoulders or whatever I'll be fine with it, but no matter how good the 1/48 VF-1S is, they're not getting any more of my money unless they solve this problem with this toy.

I found an email address on Yamato USA's website and emailed them about it politely. They told me thanks for bringing it to their attention and asked me to resend the photos, so we'll see what develops from there.

If Yamato solves the problem by sending me shoulders or whatever I'll be fine with it, but no matter how good the 1/48 VF-1S is, they're not getting any more of my money unless they solve this problem with this toy.

411714[/snapback]

wow... that's harsh. but hey, I personally think you're the only one losing out in that deal.

While the Garland does appear to have numerous weak points, statistically speaking, the number of reported breakages is so far very low. Still sucks for those of us with broken Garlands tho! :(

At least replacement parts should not be hard to obtain for it as there are no licencing issues like there are with Macross toys.

I think generally Yamato's products are pretty durable, given the inherent strength limitations of complex transfoming plastic toys. I'm certainly not planning to stop buying from them because of one broken toy.

I've had close to twenty 1/48 and only broke one BP-8 hinge through my own fault. No other parts broken, despite some falls and rough handling. I'm satisfied it's a tough toy.

I've owned over a dozen YF-19 and VF-19A and only broke 1 x Tab B on the first release. The ver.2 YF-19 and VF-19A are very durable toys, especially the VF-19A with solid knees, which is a brick.

Owned maybe 20 x 1/60 VF-1 and never had a breakage.

Owned several original YF-21, with no breakage.

Did break the crappy detachable landing gear on the YF-21FP, but the FP version is crap anyway.

Have some stress marks on my VB-6, but no breaks.

Q-Raus are all fine.

My 4 x VF-11B-FP are all fine, no problems at all.

Of course had a couple of hip breakages on the dozen or so original VF-11B that have passed through my hands

My 3 x VF-0S are all fine, except for one bent tail spike, that was easily fixed.

Graham

411701[/snapback]

I agree. I've always argued that yamato's valks were way more durable than everyone tended to say. I hated when a lot of the members from some time back always said the 1/48 felt so fragile and like a model kit. I still think those people never even bothered to play or manhandle it, and IMHO it can be manhandled. Model kits in my hands always break. After 3 years, my 1/48 is still in 1 piece. You are right about the VF-19A, it may irritate me with the numerous paint scratches and loose arm joints, but man that thing is pretty darn solid. The new 1/60 blows it away and I have no doubt it will probably be more durable. Sure as hell looks better too

With yamato I notice that they have taken a lot of huge chances for such a small company. While a company like bandai or kaiyodo focuses on gundam or eva, yamato comes out of nowhere with a garland. A variable one at that. I just think they have some growing pains along the process. Technically its their first variable toy other than macross, so to me I can understand why the toy may have some problems that can be corrected in later revised toys.

So hopefully revisions are made and the later toys can be enjoyed for all they are worth. Lord knows this Garland has been in demand for some time. Speaking of which I wonder if Shawn bought one yet?

And Ginrai, judging by how yamato USA responded to you, I think they will send the parts.

Also, I bought the hikaru VF-1S 1/48 3 years back. I read your MPC reviews way back in 02, and I remember telling you back then that I agreed completely with your review, even though the MPC was getting so much flak back then. Judging by how you felt about it, trust me, you will LOVE the 1/48. Besides unlike the garland, the 1/48 has had numerous runs and chances of getting a lemon are much less than they were than when they first came out.

Hopefully I can see a garland w/my own eyes pretty soon. I admit it does look rather tempting.

This is not about how good the 1/48 is. This is about me not supporting a company that takes my $100 and gives me a product that breaks immediately due to no fault of my own. If they replace the broken parts or the toy itself and make me happy with the Garland, then I will consider buying other products from them. Until such point I will not be buying more from them.

What kind of glutton for punishment supports a company that sells them defective (or incredibly poorly designed) products? If you bought a car that stopped working the day you got it, would you just buy another car from the same company that your friends told you was more reliable?

This is not about how good the 1/48 is. This is about me not supporting a company that takes my $100 and gives me a product that breaks immediately due to no fault of my own. If they replace the broken parts or the toy itself and make me happy with the Garland, then I will consider buying other products from them. Until such point I will not be buying more from them.

What kind of glutton for punishment supports a company that sells them defective (or incredibly poorly designed) products? If you bought a car that stopped working the day you got it, would you just buy another car from the same company that your friends told you was more reliable?

411798[/snapback]

It would depend on how they respond and what the problem was. I understand you got a bum unit, but most people have theirs without issue.

Graham has also reported that Yamato would be taking care of their customers as well.

And from your update with them, it sounds like they are, or why ask for the pics?

But demanding that every item you receive be perfect, is well, unreasonable as there will always be some errors, maybe in materials, or during the manufacturing process or shipping, or even user error.

Once again, the vast majority of people who own a garland are not having issues, so obviously the problem isn't universal and yet yamato is still stepping up and offering a redesign at no cost.

Eugimon, if they solve the problem I will be fine with them. They have yet to offer me any such thing, and I do not expect perfection. I do however expect it to be in basic working condition, which this toy clearly is not. Furthermore, a redesigned (or properly manufactured, whatever) metal bar does absolutely -nothing- to help me, because that is not my problem.

The fact that this problem has not cropped out with everyone else's Garland does make my Garland suddenly okay. I'm not the only with this problem and Yamato needs to make this better if they ever expect to get any money from me again.

Furthermore, Twin Moons has updated their description of the Garland (no doubt in part due to my pestering) with the following message:

"NOTE: This figure contains small fragile parts. Please read instructions carefully before transforming. We cannot be held responsible if any parts are broken during transformation."

That's a lot, guys, I really appreciate your help.

Get back to me about how you feel when you get a lemon, Eugimon. I'm thrilled that your toys are just fine.

Okay, now I'm happy. Yamato just called me to say they're going to send me a new arm for my Garland. They said it'd probably take a few days to get down and disassemble a Garland to get me the arm, but that's cool by me. Good show Yamato USA.

Once again, the vast majority of people who own a garland are not having issues, so obviously the problem isn't universal and yet yamato is still stepping up and offering a redesign at no cost.

411799[/snapback]

Yet.

The way its worked in the past with the YF19 first edition and VF11B for example is that it started with just a few members posting a complaint and slowly every week new members were posting that the same breakage was happening and pretty soon it was an epidemic. There are a lot of broken Yamatos out there that are not due to mishandling. I'm sure you will be hearing from a lot more members by the end of the summer.

Now that we have US support though, at least we can hopefully get replacement parts this time around.

Okay, now I'm happy. Yamato just called me to say they're going to send me a new arm for my Garland. They said it'd probably take a few days to get down and disassemble a Garland to get me the arm, but that's cool by me. Good show Yamato USA.

411839[/snapback]

Glad to hear that they are working to solve the problem.

Like many of us have said in posts ... get a 1/48 Yamato valkyrie.

It is highly unlikely you will be disappointed.

:)

Eugimon, if they solve the problem I will be fine with them. They have yet to offer me any such thing, and I do not expect perfection. I do however expect it to be in basic working condition, which this toy clearly is not. Furthermore, a redesigned (or properly manufactured, whatever) metal bar does absolutely -nothing- to help me, because that is not my problem.

The fact that this problem has not cropped out with everyone else's Garland does make my Garland suddenly okay. I'm not the only with this problem and Yamato needs to make this better if they ever expect to get any money from me again.

Furthermore, Twin Moons has updated their description of the Garland (no doubt in part due to my pestering) with the following message:

"NOTE: This figure contains small fragile parts. Please read instructions carefully before transforming. We cannot be held responsible if any parts are broken during transformation."

That's a lot, guys, I really appreciate your help.

Get back to me about how you feel when you get a lemon, Eugimon. I'm thrilled that your toys are just fine.

411815[/snapback]

I've gotten plenty of lemons before. I bought a Panasonic TV, and within two months, there was a distortion in the bottom corner, too late to return it and panasonic wanted me to pay for shipping to them and pay for labour.

I bought a Sony diskman and the CD lost it's alignment, wouldn't read, kept spinning the CD around and around.

So, following your logic, I should never buy any other product from the right? Because those two items had problems. So even though the dozens of other sony and panasonic products I owned worked fine for years and even though millions of other people owned those products without issues, I shouldn't support them because I got two lemons right?

feh, get over youself man.

411839[/snapback]

you really should demand they stress test the part or something to make sure it doesn't have the same molding flaws. :ph34r:

Ginrai, The limp back pack that Low viz mentioned is actually, IMHO, a non issue as long as you lock everything into place right with the hook and use the spare neck cover that is provided with the toy. As for the gunstrap I'd say as long as you don't sling it over the shoulder and tug at it expecting it to show the same level of durability that a strap for a 1/6th figure has then you should be okay. I rarely use the gunstrap anyway as I always thought it was kind of dumb. As for the hands, that is a serious design problem that no reissued version has really solved, the only thing I can say is that if you get any of the 1J's you get the alternative set of TV hands that not only look better but also have no floppyness either. And the stickers, are okay, they are just very toyish, not model grade decals which alot of people here want.

Totally agree here.

The 1/48 is the best valk on the market. With regards to the backpack, its just that when you first get one, you really got to pay attention to that part even if you locked it into place correctly. Because when you do push it all the way in so it sink down to the notch, you can see the bottom part sorta "bend upwards" just a little as if the plastic is being stretched a bit. It's hard to explain. But this piece isn't brittle or anything, just that the weight of the fast packs puts a bit of stress on this so you don't want to reckless.

But definately don't expect the toy to fall apart right out of the box. It's very well made except for those few nitpicks. (which are still worth mentioning even if we are all happy with the toy overall.)

I was just saying that he should start with the best and work his way down. (giving time for all those early probs to be ironed out on new releases) So he would have benefitted more if he decidd to stick with getting a 1/48 vf1 first, saving up, then get the garland later.

But yeah, it's not about the vf1. It's about companies helping the customer when it is of no fault of thier own. I hate it for example when I get defective electronic goods because I figure the more expensive something is, the more grief for the buyer. I have very little tolerance for that.

for eg, I ended up returning a nintendo ds because it had a stuck pixel - even though it is a small problem that doesn't affect me in the grand scheme of things, I expect a fully working thing and by returning it, it is like me saying: "I do give a poo about quality of stuff I buy" so in the long run it doesn't have to happen to another person and they don't have to settle for it. Even if it is no one's fault, the company should eat the costs if they care for thier customers and want to maintain a good relationship in the long term as you will reap the benefits later. I mean if you give them the benefit of the doubt the customer will feel like they are being cared for and develop trust.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Granted this is off topic. But Palisades was willing to send me a new Grimlock statue after the one I bought off ebay came missing an arm.

I sent back the "wounded" one and they sent me a new one and they paid for shipping to me.

NOW THAT'S Customer Service. To me anyway.

411815[/snapback]

I've gotten plenty of lemons before. I bought a Panasonic TV, and within two months, there was a distortion in the bottom corner, too late to return it and panasonic wanted me to pay for shipping to them and pay for labour.

I bought a Sony diskman and the CD lost it's alignment, wouldn't read, kept spinning the CD around and around.

So, following your logic, I should never buy any other product from the right? Because those two items had problems. So even though the dozens of other sony and panasonic products I owned worked fine for years and even though millions of other people owned those products without issues, I shouldn't support them because I got two lemons right?

411970[/snapback]

Hey, way to go for the personal attack, Eugimon. Classy. If you want to continue giving money to a company when they sell you defective product and refuse to replace it, go right ahead. The customer is right, they're the one paying for it, and if the company sells them something defective the company should replace it, which is what it looks like Yamato is doing. If you buy a defective product and go, "Oh well, this brand new TV I bought doesn't work right at all, but I don't mind!" that's your problem.

Edited by Ginrai

Hey guys,

I got my Garland about a week and a half ago from Robotech.com (sorry for not posting earlier, forum problems), and I still haven't taken it out of the box yet. After seeing the stories I don't know if I want to. I always take my valks out at least once and transform/play with them and than put them back in the box and up on my shelf but I might just keep the Garland on the shelf.

Got mine today from Twin Moons. Only transformed it once so far, but I've had no problems with it. But then again, I ended up loosening the screws on the metal arms a little. They seemed pretty stiff, and it was making me nervous :p

I got my VF-0S along with it, which I had pre-ordered them both at the same time. When I didn't get the VF-0 when it was released, I assumed they ran out before they could fill my order. But it seems that instead they were just waiting to fill my complete order. But oh well, it's all good.

Got mine today from Twin Moons.  Only transformed it once so far, but I've had no problems with it.  But then again, I ended up loosening the screws on the metal arms a little.  They seemed pretty stiff, and it was making me nervous  :p

I got my VF-0S along with it, which I had pre-ordered them both at the same time.  When I didn't get the VF-0 when it was released, I assumed they ran out before they could fill my order.  But it seems that instead they were just waiting to fill my complete order.  But oh well, it's all good.

412486[/snapback]

Yeah, thats a good idea, I was sweating beads trying to get those out, chanting don't break, don't break to the toy gods.

Well Poo... The damn parts holding the chest to the body fell off... fortunantly these were just glued on and it looked like yamato used cheap glue, still, this is a section that demands screws. What is up with toy companies using glue for joints these days? The VF-01 glued way to many parts togeather, but that just made it impossible to dissassemble and add that little needed nail polish to certain parts to tighten up the joints. Here it really effects how well this toy holds togeather.

Edited by GobotFool

Got mine today from Twin Moons.  Only transformed it once so far, but I've had no problems with it.  But then again, I ended up loosening the screws on the metal arms a little.  They seemed pretty stiff, and it was making me nervous  :p

412486[/snapback]

I also loosened the screws before even the first transform attempt, but that has nothing to do with the shoulder breaking on mine. Oh well.

Transformation is a SUCCESS! LOL :D

Its actually not too bad, and don't think it need to loosen any screws on mine. Like Ginrai said, it really has not much to do with the breakage on the other end. Just good to know exactly where the weak spot is (Thanks to Graham's pics & the others' posts), and you will avoid stressing it as you transform. Its quite vulnerable during the transformation and before the robot shoulder is lock especially when you mistaken the wheel/bar connection is the shoulder articulation in robot mode while transforming. Its not. And if you do, and try rotate it as if its a normal shoulder joint, SNAP! Shoulder joint is else where on the outside of the wheel.

Suck on mine that one of the forefeet a bit loose, but doesn't affect the stability of the robot much. It stands and balance very well. Hand also hold gun fine. You just need to fold down the thumb joint, while keeping the thumb sit horizontally. The wrist will lock the thumb from moving out of position. The gun is not held very tight, but it won't fall off from posing the figure either. Good enough. Even having Shogo sits in robot mode is not so hard.

I really like this Garland. Just need to be careful with it. Worth the $100 admission fee. ;)

Edited by mpchi

I think people just over reacted to the breakage thing a little. Of course, Yamato should have designed it more sturdy on that metal bar peg. Then there wouldn't have any problem in the first place. But as I read all these posts, worrying how soon my figure will fall apart before I see it in person, I was thinking...."wait, this is it?" when I was transforming it. I bet people that broke theirs either got a lemon, or didn't expect even metal can break when transforming, stressing those pegs without even realizing it when handling the figure. Like the VF-1 or VF-0, the figure do dangle all over the place while in the middle of transformation. So one could have stressed those pegs by accident without knowing it. But as long as you read this thread, saw those pics of where the weak spots are and read the instructions correctly, you can avoid breakage pretty easily. So no need to be too alarmed and label this cool Garland a piece of crap. And for people that say it looks "too plastic". Well, its made of plastic. :D

Just transform it back to the bike. Its much faster and don't even need the instructions. Can't do that on my VF-0S during my first transformation back to fighter mode. :p The screws on the bar you can loosen up just a tiny bit, if you worry too much. Its mainly for transformation from bike to robot to ease the stress, since you need to pull out the wheel on each side of shoulder sideway. Loosen those screws make the bar come rightout without much effort to pull (aka stressing the peg). This is a Macross Board crying out loud. If you guys can handle a 1/48 VF-1 or VF-0, Garland is a piece of cake. ;) So no worries.

Edited by mpchi

My problem is not that metal bar, though, guys, so watch out for the shoulder OUTSIDE of the wheels. The wheel is FINE on mine, and I'm not the only one. You need to be careful when pulling the shoulder out from the wheel because there's only a tiny piece of plastic keeping the shoulder (the extrernal shoulder, NOT the wheel) together.

411815[/snapback]

411970[/snapback]

Hey, way to go for the personal attack, Eugimon. Classy. If you want to continue giving money to a company when they sell you defective product and refuse to replace it, go right ahead. The customer is right, they're the one paying for it, and if the company sells them something defective the company should replace it, which is what it looks like Yamato is doing. If you buy a defective product and go, "Oh well, this brand new TV I bought doesn't work right at all, but I don't mind!" that's your problem.

412137[/snapback]

sure sure, so it's fine to blast a company because, hey, they're some faceless evil organization right? But if someone points out the narcissitic self righteousness of you, then it's a personal attack. You can bet there are people at yamato who work hard and are proud of the work they do and they take your bashing personally as well. Honestly, you expect me to care what you think when you posted half a dozen posts about yamato screwed you before you even heard back from them? feh.

I received my Garland this mornig...

What an amazing toy!!!

Nothing fell off during transformation, and most important of all, nothing broke!

I am really satisfied with this toy, it's becoming one of my favorite (always wanted this toy, thank you Yamato). If you follow the instructions carefully during transformation, there's no need to worry of something snaping.

It is VERY poseable!! The joints and articulations are stiff, it feels rock solid.

The Shogo figure <_<

It's a great representation of the Garland, very well executed and an almost exact match to the lineart.

Yamatos Garland gets a 9 in my book.

Disclaimer: it's a collectors toy, there's a lot of tiny pieces that held the garland together so be gentle when playing with it

VF-0s. I got it, looked like one of the tail spikes was broken in transit. Got a replacement, No problems, joints are a tad loose but nothing that really detracts from ability to play with it or display.

411643[/snapback]

Did you get a replacement? How? One of my Zero has that stupid transit problem. I had no idea you could get a reaplcement.

I guess I'll pass on the Garland. I never saw the show, OVA etc, but just to hear someone as carefull as Graham broke one virtually without touching it, really scares the krap out of me. It is sad, I was looking forward to get one of these. I loved the concept of having a full articulated fig fit within the transformed mecha. It turns out the articulated fig is not so articulated, and the mecha has bad construction parts.... Shall I say more? If there a second "reviewed" version of the Grarland I might buy it, but I don't know if there is even enough market for a second release.

Other than that, all my Yammies are in perfect condition. Except for the tailfin antenae in my Zero.v :(

Edited by vlenhoff

VF-0s. I got it, looked like one of the tail spikes was broken in transit. Got a replacement, No problems, joints are a tad loose but nothing that really detracts from ability to play with it or display.

411643[/snapback]

Did you get a replacement? How? One of my Zero has that stupid transit problem. I had no idea you could get a reaplcement.

I guess I'll pass on the Garland. I never saw the show, OVA etc, but just to hear someone as carefull as Graham broke one virtually without touching it, really scares the krap out of me. It is sad, I was looking forward to get one of these. I loved the concept of having a full articulated fig fit within the transformed mecha. It turns out the articulated fig is not so articulated, and the mecha has bad construction parts.... Shall I say more? If there a second "reviewed" version of the Grarland I might buy it, but I don't know if there is even enough market for a second release.

Other than that, all my Yammies are in perfect condition. Except for the tailfin antenae in my Zero.v :(

414259[/snapback]

I complained about it to my seller. Best way to get a replacement. I got mine from BBTS, who BTW are also willing to remove toys and inspect them for defects as long as you tell them what to look for.

As for the Garland being fragile. I've transformed mine many times without breakage. The only problem I had was a badly glued shoulder restraint which was easily fixed with a drop of super glue.

Edited by GobotFool

sure sure, so it's fine to blast a company because, hey, they're some faceless evil organization right?

I never "blasted" the company. Did I at any point attack the people working there, call them bad people? No. I said the product is unacceptable and that if they want to continue to get my business they have to make good on that. That is a basic, normal, sane reaction to commerce.

But if someone points out the narcissitic self righteousness of you, then it's a personal attack.

It is not narcissistic or self-righteous to ask for a product that does not break the moment you try to use it. STOP WITH THE PERSONAL ATTACKS. I have never attacked you or Yamato or anyone at Yamato personally, yet you persist in personally insulting me.

You can bet there are people at yamato who work hard and are proud of the work they do and they take your bashing personally as well. Honestly, you expect me to care what you think when you posted half a dozen posts about yamato screwed you before you even heard back from them? feh.

412994[/snapback]

One more time, Eugimon. I never ever attacked them personally, I said the PRODUCT was not up to snuff and insisted that they had to make up for this shoddy product if they wanted more business from me. If they took offense at me being upset that my brand new $100 toy broke the moment I tried to use it carefully following the directions, then that would be totally unprofessional. The point of my posts was not to "insult" anyone, it was to make other consumers aware of the difficulties with the product they might also be considering.

Most consumers like to know if a product is worthwhile, and how the company responds to defective product before they spend money on it, especially $100 on a luxery item like a super expensive plastic toy. Why do you think things like Consumer Reports exist? People don't want to waste their money.

In other news, Yamato USA just emailed telling me to mail them the entire Garland for a replacement, which is completely different than what they said before. Before they said they would mail me an arm. I emailed back asking for clarification on this. I don't want to be out shipping costs if I don't have to be.