Will Everything Be On Dvd?

Agent ONE

I stopped even looking at the TV DVD sets the day I saw ALF staring back at me.  I couldn't help but wonder if it came with an exclusive pog. 

The sad thing is I absolutely LOVED Alf back in the day.  I even loved the cartoon.  <_<

I guarantee you that before next year is over we'll see, alongside Blossom,  "Brotherly Love - the Complete Series!"   :ph34r:

350811[/snapback]

I bought ALF. :lol:

350816[/snapback]

I don't believe you! Post screenshots!

350823[/snapback]

Scary no?

1208051204.jpg

1208051159.jpg

crappy phone cam.

Actually, the crappier the TV show was, the more likely it can get to DVD without any problems.

But, there is a problem that many shows run into when the studio tries to release them on DVD. . . music rights.  If the show featured quality, mainstream music, getting it onto DVD can be a pain.

Over the last decade, many shows have made a habit of using very current popular music in their soundtracks.  But, they often only secure the rights for broadcast of the show and not the home video rights.

So, when the studio/producers want to release the series on DVD, they are faced with a huge number of songs for which they need to secure the rights all over again. . . and this is an insurmountable obstacle for a few shows that have random snippets of popular music strewn throughout each episode.

Unfortunately, many studios just decide to replace the music originally chosen (and remembered fondly by the audience as the perfect touch to a scene) with cheezy synthesized music or 3rd-rate music from their own label.

The show Ed is currently stuck in this situation.  It was a great show, but probably won't make it to DVD any time soon (or ever) because of these issues.  And, not to sound like a teenage girl, but Party of Five was largely stripped of its music for its DVD release, and certain scenes suffered greatly for it.

Not that I'd ever watch Po5. . . or know to refer to it as Po5.   :lol:

350829[/snapback]

Tour of Duty immediately comes to mind. Replacing the classic rock with phoned-in studio music turned the DVD release into Tour of Doody. I can't even watch the DVDs with the new music.

350837[/snapback]

Yup, I never bought it because of that. The Wonder Years is another show that is just screwed because of the music...you'll prob never see it on DVD.

I stopped even looking at the TV DVD sets the day I saw ALF staring back at me.  I couldn't help but wonder if it came with an exclusive pog. 

The sad thing is I absolutely LOVED Alf back in the day.  I even loved the cartoon.  <_<

I guarantee you that before next year is over we'll see, alongside Blossom,  "Brotherly Love - the Complete Series!"   :ph34r:

350811[/snapback]

I bought ALF. :lol:

350816[/snapback]

I don't believe you! Post screenshots!

350823[/snapback]

Scary no?

1208051204.jpg

1208051159.jpg

crappy phone cam.

350838[/snapback]

So....did it come with an exclusive pog?

post-430-1134085085.gif

I don't believe you!  Post screenshots!

350823[/snapback]

Scary no?

*PICS REMOVED*

crappy phone cam.

350838[/snapback]

WOAH!

Edited by Agent ONE

350823[/snapback]

Scary no?

*PICS REMOVED*

crappy phone cam.

350838[/snapback]

WOAH!

350854[/snapback]

I know. I didn't want to believe it either. :blink:

350856[/snapback]

Speaking of ALF I dated a girl a few years ago who was from Sophia, Bulgaria and she couldn't stop talking about how ALF was popular there, it was the most popular NEW show... Keep in mind this was like 2001.

350823[/snapback]

Scary no?

*PICS REMOVED*

crappy phone cam.

350838[/snapback]

WOAH!

350854[/snapback]

I know. I didn't want to believe it either. :blink:

350856[/snapback]

Speaking of ALF I dated a girl a few years ago who was from Sophia, Bulgaria and she couldn't stop talking about how ALF was popular there, it was the most popular NEW show... Keep in mind this was like 2001.

350863[/snapback]

Think, they'd make you king if you showed up with old TV show DVD sets there....

I personally am loving this Everying-On-DVD-Sh!t! It's great, especially with Netflix: 20 buxs and a spare 250 gb drive gets me all the classic/crappy stuff I can shove in my skull. Some of it I just thought about at random; The whole Kung-Fu grasshopper thing came to mind, I asked some friends if they knew where the whole "grasshopper-phrase" came from, and out of the 5 of them none of them knew it was Kung-Fu, and thruth be told, I never saw a episode of it myself. Now I'm on the 2nd disc and loving it. Same with the original Battlestar Galactica.

Then there are some others, like Highlander: The Raven - I swear I only get them now just because of how depressing the interviews are! :p

Just preordered 'Miami Vice - Season Two'. Best cop/action show ever IMO.

Also, ordering 'The Clint Eastwood Gift Set (A Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly)' as my Christmas present to myself. Love those movies.

Graham

I'm tickled to see that Silk Stalkings and Renegade are out. If only Counterstrike could join this collection of USA channel specials...

silk_stalkings_season_2_dvd.jpg

0503002_10.jpg

$176 was the best price I could find for that wrestling thing; are people really that crazy about it?

Edited by myk

Holy crap, isn't Lorenzo Lamas like, 60 or something by now? I vaguely remember that show.

I thought Fraggle Rock was early to mid 80's? And shown on HBO?

Good Times? Offensive? No, not offensive. True, time has NOT been kind to that show, and J.J. was definitely a goofball; but if anything, I'm sure a show like that would never get on the air today, as it's nowhere near narcissistic or dysfunctional enough to be seen as entertaining by today's audeinces. If anything, I'd think people would accuse it of being too "goodie-two-shoes." I admire the show for its underlying theme: family sticking together, and always doing right, in spite of your circumstances [instead of doing wrong and claiming its because of your circumstances]. I like how James and his family are always looking/striving to someday get out of the ghetto, to do better for themselves and make their lives better. Unlike nowadays the way folks try to claim something for "ghetto fabulous." I swear, whenever I hear artists/stars claim something's "ghetto fabulous" I wish someone would punch them dead in the mouf. There ain't a godd--n thing "fabulous" about the ghetto. If they'd bother to understand a little more about the history of that word, where it comes from and its context, they wouldn't spout iganant sh-t like that...it's almost like disrespect.

I want my Agent ONE box set! :lol:

Edited by reddsun1

is Night Court on DVD yet? if so how good is the video and audio quality for it?

chris

351003[/snapback]

You would watch 5 min of that and shut it off... I think you guys are forgetting how bad some of these shows were.

Now when will Perfect Strangers hit DVD?

There's sometimes a world looks perfect,

Nothing can be arranged,

Sometime you just get a feeling

Like you need some kind of change.

No matter what the odds are this time,

Nothing's gonna stand in our way,

This sprain in my heart, like a long lost friend,

Gives every God's dream life, yeah.

Standing tall, on the wings of my dreams,

Rising forth, on the wings of my dreams,

The rain and thunder, the winds and haze

Are bound for better days.

My life, my dream, nothing's gonna stop me now...

Edited by areaseven

351116[/snapback]

That came like 10 years late to Cyprus, so my GF thinks that show totally rocks. I hope you don't remind her of it when she reads this thread... :unsure:

351116[/snapback]

That came like 10 years late to Cyprus, so my GF thinks that show totally rocks. I hope you don't remind her of it when she reads this thread... :unsure:

351119[/snapback]

haha, compromises

is Night Court on DVD yet? if so how good is the video and audio quality for it?

chris

351003[/snapback]

You would watch 5 min of that and shut it off... I think you guys are forgetting how bad some of these shows were.

351108[/snapback]

I agree the show ended horribly and had lost its touch a long time before that. The first two seasons were the best...the humor sucked afterwards. John Laraquette was hillarious.

Perfect Strangers? That was crap, I find Belkis to be a rip off of Andy Kaufman's Latka Gravas from Taxi.

That came like 10 years late to Cyprus, so my GF thinks that show totally rocks.  I hope you don't remind her of it when she reads this thread...  :unsure:

351119[/snapback]

"Well, of course not, don't be ridi-cool-us." :p

351126[/snapback]

"Who is your Daddy, and what does he DO?"

351128[/snapback]

Well, I loved the show when I was in third grade. And when I visited Chicago nearly a decade ago, Perfect Strangers was the first thing on my mind when I stepped out of the airport.

Now what else needs to go on DVD?

CHiPs

The Highwayman

Hard Time on Planet Earth

Viper

Street Hawk

T and T

Where's 'Manimal" and 'Mann and Machine' on that list A7?

Also"

The Misfits of Science

The Phoenix

WizKids

SeaQuest

351138[/snapback]

Never watched those first two shows you mentioned. And I completely forgot about Misfits of Science. Wasn't Courtney Cox on that show?

I'm surprised SeaQuest DSV isn't on DVD yet. I enjoyed the series until Michael Ironside took over. Perhaps it was because of all the years of Ironside playing the bad guy in dozens of movies. SeaQuest, out!

Now when will Dark Justice hit DVD?

That came like 10 years late to Cyprus, so my GF thinks that show totally rocks.  I hope you don't remind her of it when she reads this thread...  :unsure:

351119[/snapback]

"Well, of course not, don't be ridi-cool-us." :p

351126[/snapback]

351128[/snapback]

hehe...Kindergarten Cop.

Edited by Zor Primus

fraggle rock was great and is still great. it is a great show with funny song with different universe and people... (human , fraggle, little builder people, the hairy giant family ...)

I would buy the dvd set if i could get the ultimate complete set with the english version and french version. (i m french)

on the new tv dvd set, i ve seen that some are just the "best of" just some episodes of a tv show ... and i find it really sucks to not get all.

anyways, as for some anime, dvd sets of a complete show are often not digest. if u watch a show too often it gets very boring

Anyone remember a show called "Brothers," that featured 3 men, one of them being a retired athlete, another a bumbling construction worker and the final one a man who just came out of the closet?

The show was originally aired on one of the premium channels in the early 90's, and was actually funny while it infringed on the taboos of the time...

Oh, and speaking of the girl from Wings, Crystal Bernard is/was gorgeous, but in regards to Silk Stalkings I like Janet Gunn (s) much more...

Edited by myk