The Fuccons

areaseven

I haven't even heard of this and know nothing of it beyond the website's "about" link, so I'll hold fire until I learn enough. Although, I have to say that puppet shows, like Thunderbirds for example, are an immediate turn-off to me. In addition, anything that claims to be "fashionably hip, and gut splitting funny," is just a blaring warning sign of pending lameness...

Edited by myk

Some episodes have been broadcasted in France and I've to admit it's pretty cool despite the overall look: just take it for what it is, some sort of 'funny' experimental short movies series :)

I haven't even heard of this and know nothing of it beyond the website's "about" link, so I'll hold fire until I learn enough.  Although, I have to say that puppet shows, like Thunderbirds for example, are an immediate turn-off to me.  In addition, anything that claims to be "fashionably hip, and gut splitting funny," is just a blaring warning sign of pending lameness...

350605[/snapback]

Perhaps, but the Thunderbirds are a 500% more animated than Oh! Mikey. It's just static, constantly reposedly admittedly, mannequins

If you don't mind Something Awful, they took a nice look at the Japanese DVDs.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1903

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1916

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3262

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3281

I've heard of this series before and have actually seen it. J-List has offered it for sale for a few years and I got the first DVD just out of curiosity and it is pretty funny. There is even a hardcore version, which features adult related material the Japanese censors deemed to spicy for television. As for ADV Films calling it "The Fuccons" and not its original title "Oh! Mikey" kind of puzzles me. Are they going for the shock value by the look and pronunciation of the family's last name?

oh_mikey_p37.jpg

This is freaky......and urgh....the whole setting doesn't even look japanese from the trailers.

350991[/snapback]

It's not supposed to. The story revolves around a sterotypical American family living in Japan in an American community. Does Japan have something like Chinatown for Americans, like Americanville, or something?

• 1 month later...

Oh! Mikey (オー!マイキー)
TV Tokyo/Avex, Inc. 2003
ADV Films, 2006
Written and directed by Yoshimasa Ishibashi
Running Time: 5 minutes per episode
Rated TV-14 for suggestive sexual content and strong language.

Cast (English Dub)
Kira Vincent-Davis (Nyu/Lucy in Elfen Lied, Kim in Macross) as Michael "Mikey" Fuccon
Rob Mungle (Greg in Area 88, Landlord in The Super Milk-chan Show) as James Fuccon
Christine M. Auten (Elvy in RahXephon, Claudia in Macross) as Barbara Fuccon
Luci Christian (Kaname in Full Metal Panic!, Millia in Macross) as Laura
Cynthia Martinez (Puni Puni Poemy, Lina Inverse in Slayers)as Emily

Synopsis
The Fuccons - Mikey and his parents James and Barbara - are an American family that just moved to Tokyo. There, Mikey copes with everyday life as he's caught in a love triangle with his classmate Emily and his cousin Laura.

Lowdown
I went to Suncoast one day and noticed that they had The Fuccons preview DVD for $3. So I picked it up and checked it out, knowing that I'll probably never collect the entire series.

Boy, is this show on crack or what? A normal person probably won't be able to finish this 25-minute DVD, let alone a complete volume of the show. The Fuccons features merely nothing but mannequins posing as a real family. Bad enough that they exhibit the same emotion all the time. Worse is that they practically have canned laughter installed in them. At the end of each skit, they just laugh so much, it's really disturbing.

And what do we learn from this show? Well, maybe a few things:

- If you don't brush your teeth after breakfast, you'll have inordinately bad breath.
- Drink milk, especially if it means life or death for your parents.
- It is impolite to lie down on the dining table while others are eating.
- Laugh really hard to remind your grandparents who you are.

Other than that, you'll need some serious booze to watch through this show. Unless you're into wooden performances, The Fuccons is just another rental.

Rating: B (if drunk); C- (if sober)

DVD Extras: B+
For $3.00, this DVD gives you a lot. You get some wallpapers and a couple of screensavers for your TV.

Links
ADV Films' Official The Fuccons Homepage
Oh! Mikey (Japanese)
TV Tokyo's Official Oh! Mikey Homepage (Japanese)
Fuccon Family (Japanese)
Oh! Mikey - Japanese Mannequin Drama Unofficial Site

Reference
Anime News Network Edited by areaseven

God I hate this kind of show.  the only thing worse is claymation and stop action photography shows. 

Unfortunately someone like Adult swim will add this to their already lame lineup and we'll lose another anime slot.

363429[/snapback]

Agreed. I just don't get adult swim. Things in it are rarely funny and I can see such a show in that line up. Perhaps I have no sense of humor or should I take up smoking pot.

• 4 years later...