The Xbox 360 Thread!

myk--the TV/HDTV switch is on the video cable plug itself, itty-bitty little black one, IIRC.

348158[/snapback]

Oooohh Woooowww....The colors....I take back anything I said earlier about these graphics not being next generation-and this is just the beginning!

360 tech support insisted that my lack of high definition output was because of my incorrect settings on the console itself. The local 'EB I spoke with said the console was probably defective. I wouldn't have had to ask all of these people for help, but the night I bought these cables one of my guinea pigs got loose and ate the instructions that probably included the information about that little switch.

David, I can't thank you enough! If I were my avatar I'd kiss you!

Edited by myk

myk--the TV/HDTV switch is on the video cable plug itself, itty-bitty little black one, IIRC.

348158[/snapback]

Oooohh Woooowww....The colors....I take back anything I said earlier about these graphics not being next generation-and this is just the beginning!

360 tech support insisted that my lack of high definition output was because of my incorrect settings on the console itself. The local 'EB I spoke with said the console was probably defective. I wouldn't have had to ask all of these people for help, but the night I bought these cables one of my guinea pigs got loose and ate the instructions that probably included the information about that little switch.

348177[/snapback]

Do people just ignore my REPLIES/POSTS nowadays? SHEESH

Edited by Oihan

348158[/snapback]

348177[/snapback]

348384[/snapback]

Not at all, it's actually my fault. As soon as you posted I looked at my 360's cable and didn't see the switch on the top of the plug, or its sides; what I should've checked was the bottom of it! Dave's succeeding post prompted me to practically rip the plug out while screaming "WHERE WHERE WHERE?!" at the top of my lungs, which is when I actually found it. This situation is even more ridiculous when 360 tech support never even mentioned it, and the self proclaimed experts at the 'EB told me that my console was probably defective.

This brings me back to a point that I brought up earlier: the cd tray that takes discs on the outer side when the 360 is vertical, and this HD cable that has it's switch UNDERNEATH the plug, out of sight, makes me think that they didn't really think about the applications of some of their designs. I'm sure it's just a matter of necessity though, as they probably weren't able to construct it any other way...

The console might be running fine, but how about the power brick? How's that handling?

I assume the brick is okay. Sure, it gets toasty, but I'm given to understand that should be normal. Abnormal power supplies seem to create abnormal behaviors with the console itself. And I can honestly say, after having gone through TWO sets of batteries now (I really kid you not when I say that I'm either at work or on the 360) that I haven't had any freezes, no weird purple bubbles, no shut downs, no failures to boot, and no failures to read discs. And I've done it all. I've downloaded crap from the Marketplace. I've played Xbox Live Arcade games from the HDD. I've played Call of Duty, PDZ, NFS, Tiger Woods, and Project Gotham. I've played alone, and I've played with up to four other people. We've used combinations of wireless and wired controllers. I've played on Live, and chatted on Live. Everything genuinely seems to be functioning normally.

It did occur to me, though, that my 360 is plugged into a rather expensive battery back up style powerstrip/surge protector, and not directly into the wall. It'd be interesting to see how other people have theirs plugged in, and who's having problems.

I told you. ;) Although they say that the 360 supports standard definition and they give you that standard yellow video cable, the 360 looks like crap through it. I've heard a lot of people say that if you don't have an HDTV, you have to at least get an S-Video for your 360. And actual HD makes all the difference in the world. PS2 games look nasty on my HDTV, Xbox 1 games look fair in 480p, but 360 games look simply amazing in 1080i.

Edited by mikeszekely

So who else is on Xbox Live? I'm giving the Gold membership the free trial run. Of course my alias is Apollo Leader. :D Last night was only my second night to play and the first time to go online. It was also the first time that went over an hour in playing. So far, the system is holding out... the real challenge my be coming up a week from this Friday or Saturday. Looks like a bunch of friends, my brother, and myself might be doing a LAN party with Halo 2 and I might put my 360 to use... since these get togethers can go quite a few hours, I hope my system holds up! :D

And for all of those who've had PS2 problems throughout the years, I've had my PS2 since launch day in 2000 and the system has worked just fine after 5 years of heavy use. I even took the case apart back in 2003 to give it a flip-top so I could play the Sega Macross game!

I've seen basically the opposite---that the 360 doesn't like being shared via power strips etc, and prefers the actual direct wall outlet all to itself, basically. Weird.

I'll second the whole "if it makes it 24 hours, it'll be fine" notion. Just about every electronic thing I've ever had die, died with only a few hours on it. If you haven't seen problems now, you probably never will.

As for video cables etc: http://www.gamespot.com/features/6139690/index.html S-Video seems to offer very very little over Composite, IMHO. Get an HDTV or it's simply not worth having a next-gen system. 720p is a zillion times better than even 480p. I recently considered getting a cheap 20-24in w/component to have an "interim" upgrade until I splurge for a 16:9 HD LCD in a year or two---but it really doesn't seem like it'd make much difference--I'll just save that money and put it towards an LCD. Longer you wait=faster the refresh rate (which seems to be the #1 gaming issue for LCD screens) Every 3 months seems to bring better screens. I'd love a CRT HDTV, but they are non-existent in the smaller sizes, and development is basically frozen.

PS--Apollo Leader--my launch day PS2 worked fine for years and years too. And I even played DVD's on it all the time (often said to be a PS2-killing action) But my Slim PS2 died with about 12 hours on it... :p

Edited by David Hingtgen

I've seen basically the opposite---that the 360 doesn't like being shared via power strips etc, and prefers the actual direct wall outlet all to itself, basically.    Weird. 

I'll second the whole "if it makes it 24 hours, it'll be fine" notion.  Just about every electronic thing I've ever had die, died with only a few hours on it.    If you haven't seen problems now, you probably never will.

348501[/snapback]

Right now, I have mine plugged to a power strip. Got no choice.

So who else is on Xbox Live?  I'm giving the Gold membership the free trial run.  Of course my alias is Apollo Leader. :D  Last night was only my second night to play and the first time to go online.  It was also the first time that went over an hour in playing.  So far, the system is holding out... the real challenge my be coming up a week from this Friday or Saturday.  Looks like a bunch of friends, my brother, and myself might be doing a LAN party with Halo 2 and I might put my 360 to use... since these get togethers can go quite a few hours, I hope my system holds up! :D

If you get on Xbox Live with Halo 2, my screename is MarkofTheWolves. :) Of course, I'm only playing it on the old xbox.

So who else is on Xbox Live?

I am. Gamertag is Pharaohman (as in the one from Megaman 4).

Pharaohman.jpg

Honestly, I'd really love for someone to try Tiger online with me, but I guess I'd be up for NFS and definately DoA when it comes out. I don't really enjoy FPS with strangers, though.

Edited by mikeszekely

I've seen basically the opposite---that the 360 doesn't like being shared via power strips etc, and prefers the actual direct wall outlet all to itself, basically.    Weird. 

I'll second the whole "if it makes it 24 hours, it'll be fine" notion.  Just about every electronic thing I've ever had die, died with only a few hours on it.    If you haven't seen problems now, you probably never will.

348501[/snapback]

Right now, I have mine plugged to a power strip. Got no choice.

348503[/snapback]

Are you having any issues?

348158[/snapback]

348177[/snapback]

348384[/snapback]

Not at all, it's actually my fault. As soon as you posted I looked at my 360's cable and didn't see the switch on the top of the plug, or its sides; what I should've checked was the bottom of it! Dave's succeeding post prompted me to practically rip the plug out while screaming "WHERE WHERE WHERE?!" at the top of my lungs, which is when I actually found it. This situation is even more ridiculous when 360 tech support never even mentioned it, and the self proclaimed experts at the 'EB told me that my console was probably defective.

This brings me back to a point that I brought up earlier: the cd tray that takes discs on the outer side when the 360 is vertical, and this HD cable that has it's switch UNDERNEATH the plug, out of sight, makes me think that they didn't really think about the applications of some of their designs. I'm sure it's just a matter of necessity though, as they probably weren't able to construct it any other way...

348413[/snapback]

lol, alright then. I just wasn't sure if people actually had started to ignore me or what... :p Good to know that isn't so.

Edit: Those that have XBox Live and Halo 2. My gamertag is Ashmedai

Edited by Oihan

The user's manual implies that you should plug the unit directly into a wall outlet. I can understand that, it's similair to a high end graphics card in a PC needing to be hooked up directly to the power supply to ensure a good flow of current, as they say in the install manuals. Meanwhile, I've got my unit connected to a power strip that's shared with my PS2, Xbox1, Dreamcast and..........a lava lamp. No problems here, and I've left my unit activated since I brought it home, basically.

I don't believe in plugging anything over $100 directly into a wall. Far worse than worrying about a lack of current from a powerstrip is a spike in the current that blows some vital components. In fact, the really good stuff goes into a battery backup that monitors the current coming through. Any abnormailites, high or low, and it kicks to battery mode.

I don't believe in plugging anything over $100 directly into a wall.  Far worse than worrying about a lack of current from a powerstrip is a spike in the current that blows some vital components.  In fact, the really good stuff goes into a battery backup that monitors the current coming through.  Any abnormailites, high or low, and it kicks to battery mode.

348618[/snapback]

Exactly, I don't see why Microsoft would ask people to plug directly into a socket. I work in DC and we have to install high end equipment all the time. DC Power has to be the crappiest power out there, we had spikes up to 150V from wall sockets!

People are so desperate to rectify their 360 issues that they're willing to try anything, including plugging a valuable electronic device directly into a wall. Anyone familiar with electronic devices and that cares about them probably know the safety benefits of using a surge protector/power strip, but since these people's 360's are already malfunctioning, what do they have to lose? It's probably futile anyway; you can't tell me that the electrical difference between a power strip and a direct wall outlet bears that much of a variance...

Edited by myk

Right now, I have mine plugged to a power strip.  Got no choice.

348503[/snapback]

Are you having any issues?

348515[/snapback]

Nope, at least not yet! But like yourself and others, I got a bunch of game systems, etc. and I want to keep them surge protected.

People are so desperate to rectify their 360 issues that they're willing to try anything, including plugging a valuable electronic device directly into a wall.  Anyone familiar with electronic devices and that cares about them probably know the safety benefits of using a surge protector/power strip, but since these people's 360's are already malfunctioning, what do they have to lose?  It's probably futile anyway; you can't tell me that the electrical difference between a power strip and a direct wall outlet bears that much of a variance...

348711[/snapback]

It's not so much that the wall outlet and powerstrip voltage would be different, but if the voltage spikes like it does in the DC area, then a high quality power strip won't allow the spike to fry your equipment.

Best Buy gets more 360's in Dec 16, also a BUNCH of PSP's just before that. Premium 360's no longer include DVD remote (apparently it really was "limited")

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/arekthorn/bounce.gif

Edited by David Hingtgen

As far as I know the HD cables are fine; I was unaware that the component cable has a switch that allows you to choose either HD or regular TV output. I've never seen an AV cable that was dual-mode capable!

It's the unofficial HD cables that don't work. I only ever buy first party accessories. (Except my transparent PSX case) I think this is it: http://www.gameenhancer.net/psxcase.html

(Though I paid a lot less than that, and they're not as "intense" as they look there---they're all a bit more pale/transparent than that)

Edited by David Hingtgen

Lots 'o 360 news:

1. 40,000 sold on Ebay so far. That's 10% of the entire US launch supply. That is in fact, equal to Best Buy's entire launch supply. I'll bet they continue to show up on Ebay faster than at Best Buy. Thus: MS should eliminate the middle man and sell directly on Ebay. Hey, they'd make more profit that way. Opening bid at MSRP...

2. It draws 160 watts of power! No wonder the power supply is like it is.

3. Scratching discs seems to be topping overheating as #1 problem. I did notice right away the pics of the damaged discs look identical to how some of my XBox discs look---I have yet to have a game actually "damaged" by my Xbox (they all play fine) but some have acquired distinctive "rings" in them. (I hate tray loading---it ALWAYS scratches even if it's only ever so barely--it adds up----but my Dreamcast discs look brand-new, as does any PS2 game only ever played in my top-loading slim one) I wonder how the PS3's slot-loading one will do. I treat my systems and games amazingly well, but tray-loading anything always gives fine scratches over time.

Mostly taken from http://www.xbox-scene.com/

1. 40,000 sold on Ebay so far. That's 10% of the entire US launch supply. That is in fact, equal to Best Buy's entire launch supply. I'll bet they continue to show up on Ebay faster than at Best Buy. Thus: MS should eliminate the middle man and sell directly on Ebay. Hey, they'd make more profit that way. Opening bid at MSRP...

Meanwhile, people with preorders who honestly just want to play with the damn thing can't get one.

You buy a ticket to some kind of sporting event or concert, then sell it at an inflated price, and it's scalping. It's illegal. Frankly, I don't see how this is any different.

3. Scratching discs seems to be topping overheating as #1 problem. I did notice right away the pics of the damaged discs look identical to how some of my XBox discs look---I have yet to have a game actually "damaged" by my Xbox (they all play fine) but some have acquired distinctive "rings" in them.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case 100% of the time, but it does seem like the scratches are caused by moving the 360 while a disc is in the tray.

Story from Llama.com.

Meanwhile, people with preorders who honestly just want to play with the damn thing can't get one.

You buy a ticket to some kind of sporting event or concert, then sell it at an inflated price, and it's scalping. It's illegal. Frankly, I don't see how this is any different.

349347[/snapback]

While I don't agree with the ebayers...it is mostly an auction, and people are willingly wanting to bid that amount. There are no laws against that. It's not illegal in this case. This has happened since before the cabbage patch kids. Just not online.

And weren't you the one that suggested I do the same with mine? :lol:

Edited by Gaijin

In my own bit of Xbox news, I went ahead yesterday and cemented my 360 as being my primary system for the next several years. I had about $400 in credit through Gamestop which I was planning on using towards preordering the PS3. Last night I used a good chunk of that credit to purchase the wireless Internet antenna for my 360, preordered the Ghost Recon game which comes out in a few months, a 64 Meg cartridge (in case I need to transfer anything to someone elese's system), and a year's worth of Xbox Live. I won't get the PS3 in 2006 for now, but I'll see what's going on in 2007 or 2008. :)

As for system malfunctions, my understanding is that the system failure rate is currently well under 3%. The company I work aims for having a failure rate under 3%. I think this is a typical goal of a lot of companies that make home entertainment and other electronical devices.

Edited by Apollo Leader

Well, ever since the Turbo Duo, Sega CD and the like came out 5,000,000 years ago, there have always been warnings about not moving the consoles while they are activated. Now if you'll excuse me, Street Fighter the movie is on...