Monster

Once upon a time, there lived a nameless monster.

The monster was dying to have a name so badly.

So the monster decided to set out on a journey to find itself a name.

But the world was such a large place.

So the monster split into two and went on to two seperate journeys.

One went to the East and the other went to the west.

The monster that went to the east found a village.

So who here is watching the story of Dr Tenma and his endless pursuit of Johan? I know there's not any transforming robots, nor any superpowered but oh-so angsty teenagers, but this is a damn fine anime. And it has one of the absolute creepiest children's stories of all time.

*munch munch*

*crush crush*

*snap snap*

*swallow*

My friends and I have been watching Monster at our weekly anime night for a couple of months now, and we all love it. Very well written, aside from a few minor things that made me cringe. I'm looking forward to seeing where the series goes as we've only seen 15 episodes so far.

The character designs reminded me a lot of those found in Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so I looked up information on the show to see if there was a relation. Apparently not, but I did find out something interesting. The guy who did the music to the series was the same guy who did the music for Macross Zero.

I too have become addicted to monster I began watching it after it had been out for a good 6 weeks watched all 6 episodes and have been waiting for every episode since. One of the most amazing things that I've seen from this is it keeps EXACTLY to the manga which most anime tend to drift away and do their own things or make up random stuff to make more episodes etc.

Another of *forgot creaters name* works that I've enjoyed immensly has been 20th century boys. Not to similar to monster more alike to stephen king's IT in the horror / kids memories then grown ups doing stuff etc story elements. I'd check that out too if monster appeals to you.

*chuckles humourously*

bob joe mac, you don't seem to realize that Naoki Urasawa also did 20th Century Boys. :) He's done a small host of great works that have made been made into anime.

But if you like Monster then you'll like his current Pluto manga which has some roots in the same universe. Which is something I REALLY want him to pursue as a mangka! His own interconnected universe!!! It's past time. ;)

*chuckles humourously*

bob joe mac, you don't seem to realize that Naoki Urasawa also did 20th Century Boys.

Bwuh?

Another of Naoki Urasawa's works that I've enjoyed immensly has been 20th century boys.

He forgot his name, but knew that these two were made by him.

*chuckles humourously*

bob joe mac, you don't seem to realize that Naoki Urasawa also did 20th Century Boys.

Bwuh?

Another of Naoki Urasawa's works that I've enjoyed immensly has been 20th century boys.

He forgot his name, but knew that these two were made by him.

315860[/snapback]

*shrugs*

A simple mistake. But do you feel more superior now? Ya get off on it? :rolleyes:

Yeah I agree that Kevin Spacy would be good for that part, but honestly I'd prefer someone less known because then, if you used Spacy, you'd have to come up with another great actor to play Tenma to balance it out and I can't think of anyone who would fit the bill and be of asian decent. <_<

Yeah I agree that Kevin Spacy would be good for that part, but honestly I'd prefer someone less known because then, if you used Spacy, you'd have to come up with another great actor to play Tenma to balance it out and I can't think of anyone who would fit the bill and be of asian decent.  <_<

316119[/snapback]

That Kaneshiro dude who played Onimusha should fit the bill well.

• 5 weeks later...

I just checked out the first episode and continuing to download the rest. Can't believe how good the first episode was. It was good to see the inner conflict Tenma went through from just following orders to the end of the episode where he finally stood up and did what he knew was right. Looking forward to episode 2 and the rest of the sereis now.

Has the show or the manga been picked up in the US?

I just checked out the first episode and continuing to download the rest. Can't believe how good the first episode was. It was good to see the inner conflict Tenma went through from just following orders to the end of the episode where he finally stood up and did what he knew was right. Looking forward to episode 2 and the rest of the sereis now.

324630[/snapback]

Manga got licensed by Viz and the anime is 78 episodes. Also, apparently there is a live action movie in the works from New Line Cinema.

I've enjoyed what I've seen of the anime, but I haven't had the time to follow it much. It's on my list to watch though.

324630[/snapback]

Oh man..you ain't seen nothing yet! :ph34r:

Just finished episode 3. Question though. Does the director's daughter Eva ever show up again? Before the 9 year jump she meets with Tenma to want to restart their relationship and clearly he doesn't want to, especially after she treated him. Does she ever show up again later on in the story? If so what is the situation betweeen her and Tenma?

Oh, she shows up again. I'll say no more. Good, good show. I love the character developement and relationships in this series.

324693[/snapback]

Oh does she ever! ;)

bsu legato, the manga should be coming out within the next 2 months, looks like they'll be using the orginals series covers style too!, and TOTALLY expect the anime to follow!!!

Cool. Looking forward to seeing more of her. Sometimes characters just grab my attention for some reason. Just finished up episode 8 and watching 9 now. Damn this show is good. It just keeps getting better. Not sure if I'll check out the manga. The anime is just so good. I might collect it just to have it in time though.

This show has to be one of the most mature and serious anime I've seen in a long time if ever. Mature in the sense that it isn't filled with blood or cursing but in it's presentation(dialogue, actions, emotions, etc) and subject matter. I really wish there was more of this.

Edited by Effect

Cool. Looking forward to seeing more of her. Sometimes characters just grab my attention for some reason. Just finished up episode 8 and watching 9 now. Damn this show is good. It just keeps getting better. Not sure if I'll check out the manga. The anime is just so good. I might collect it just to have it in time though.

This show has to be one of the most mature and serious anime I've seen in a long time if ever. Mature in the sense that it isn't filled with blood or cursing but in it's presentation(dialogue, actions, emotions, etc) and subject matter. I really wish there was more of this.

324948[/snapback]

Okay...okay......you've got me interested already!!

Now which DL to choose.....any suggestions?

A-Kraze appears to have up to 61, but how are they. Are others better, I'd prefer quality to quick releases.

Huh, if I'd seen this post before heading off to the local anime night I'd have checked to see wich group we're watching. Still, I'm almost certain we're watching the Anime-Kraze version. If we are, then that's worth nabbing because I haven'd had any complaints on the subtitles, nor has anyone else in the group.