262 members have voted

1. 1. Which one are you going to get?

• xBOX360
    • Nintendo Revulotion
    • PS3
    • None
    • More than one
    • Can't think about games, Agent ONE is just so sexy, its distracting

That report has already been retracted/denied on other sites. (At least the price part of it)

Anyone know if the PS3 will output PS2/PSX games in 720? My current #1 want for the system.

Edited by David Hingtgen

And the games in High Def on HDTV's will be cool too.  360 already looks great.  Hard to go back to 480i and 480p games.

346815[/snapback]

I want s-video on my NES!

(I am, in fact, being 100% serious here)

Edited by JB0

And the games in High Def on HDTV's will be cool too.   360 already looks great.  Hard to go back to 480i and 480p games.

346815[/snapback]

346827[/snapback]

You win the hardcore award! :lol:

And the games in High Def on HDTV's will be cool too.  360 already looks great.  Hard to go back to 480i and 480p games.

346815[/snapback]

346827[/snapback]

You win the hardcore award! :lol:

346849[/snapback]

Nah. The guys adding RGB out are harder-core.

Sadly, there's no way to GET s-video from an NES, and I don't have anything that can take RGB at NTSC timings.

Dude. Beserk for the 5200 in s-video with 5.1 digital surround.

346855[/snapback]

Mmmm, Berzerk...

I wonder if a stereo mod is feasable for the 5200. I THINK all 4 of POKEY's voices come out one pin, but I'm not sure.

Rats. POKEY's confirmed as a single-channel device. Can't get better than mono out of it. While one COULD build a 6-channel surround sound conversion circuit, the only advantage would be if you put a crossover in the design so your low-frequency stuff went to the subwoofer.

Well, that and being "in" the sound instead of in front of it.

This next generation console is more worth it.

346860[/snapback]

Flashback 2 kthx.

The FB1 is an NES with badly-recoded games on it.

FB2 is a real 2600.

BUT...

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3000_7-6388175.html

FB2 is running neck and neck with the 360. :p

Edited by JB0

The Revoultion will be unveiled on May 9th

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140464.html

Revolution to be unveiled on May 9, 2006

Nintendo will take the wraps off the next-generation console at its press briefing before next year's E3 expo.

During its pre-E3 press conference in May, Nintendo disappointed many by revealing little about the Revolution. Other than showing off a mock-up of the console form factor and announcing the console would play NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube games, the game giant revealed little about the next-generation console. In the months since, it has let a few details about the Revolution trickle out, the most significant being pictures of its much-vaunted controller--which has been much-derided for its resemblance to a TV remote control.

Today, though, gamers got a definite date when Nintendo will absolutely, positively reveal the Revolution in all its glory. The Mario factory sent out a "save the date" e-mail this morning saying that in "a mere 165 days to go (give or take)" it will reveal "all the incredible details about Nintendo's upcoming games and hardware, including our next home console, code-named Revolution."

So when will be the Revolution's coming-out party? Unsurprisingly, it will be at next year's E3. Specifically, the console will be unveiled at Nintendo's pre-E3 press event, which is slated for 9:30 a.m. Pacific time on May 9, 2006. The venue will be the Kodak Theatre--home of the Academy Awards--in Hollywood, California.

That's what is being said. Apparently, any trouble with backwards-compatibility, like what the '360 is experiencing is due to a lack of proprietal rights to the technology that allowed the orignal Xbox games to exist. Both Nintendo and Sony own all of the rights to the technology that was used for all of their hardware and software, therefor there is no reason for them to not be 100% backwards-compatible if they wanted to include that feature...That Revoloution will be an interesting machine, to be sure...

That's what is being said. 

Through downloads of ROM images. The system is 99.99999999% guaranteed to be emulating everything but GameCube.

Nintendo's already got commercial emulators of the NES, SNES, and N64 on the 'Cube(EA released a boxing game with an emulation of Super PunchOut).

Apparently, any trouble with backwards-compatibility, like what the '360 is experiencing is due to a lack of proprietal rights to the technology that allowed the orignal Xbox games to exist. 
Not really.

The PS2 kept a lot of PS1 hardware onboard. Original PS CPU is used as an input processor on the PS2, and I've been told the video hardware is backwards-compatible to some degree.

So it's a lot like a Gameboy Advance playing 8-bit games(but not totally, as the PS2 uses some degree of emulation).

The 360 is a totally diffrent system. There's no hardware commonality.

It's more like the SNES and N64, 2600 and 5200, Saturn and Dreamcast, or *insert combo here*.

It's all emulation, and MS is apparently running through on a per-game basis instead of just opening the emulator to everything. That or they're just only letting it run fully-tested games. Either way, it's locked to support of select games, with patches to come later.

Personally, I think they should've made a general emulator and opened it up, especially given they're insisting everything will run eventually.

Instead of flat-out TELLING people that this game won't run and not letting them try, they should provide a polite note that it hasn't been tested and may exhibit glitches and let them try to play anyways.

The Sony way, if you will.

Sidenote: a handful of PS1 games exhibited severe bugs on the PS2, some to the point of unplayability. Updates to the PS1 drivers fixed some of these issues, but not all of them.

Both Nintendo and Sony own all of the rights to the technology that was used for all of their hardware and software, therefor there is no reason for them to not be 100% backwards-compatible if they wanted to include that feature...

Actually, neither company owns all the rights.

The PS2, admittedly, is almost all custom components. The DVD and RAM are the only parts I know of that someone else holds rights to.

The PS1 they don't own the CPU or drive on. The RAM is a free standard on that one, as far as I know.

Nintendo's always used variants of standard processors.

And the tech in the SNES' sound box is SONY'S, of all people.

That Revoloution will be an interesting machine, to be sure...

More for it's embracing of online game distribution as a major selling factor. Emulation's not that new.

Hmm...Looks like the information I read was wrong then. I was browsing the Team Xbox's home page when I read that stuff-I'll try to post a link later when I find it...

• 2 weeks later...
Can this be true??

I mean, I know that the original X Box didn't do really good in Japan, but I thought that the 360 will do a lot better.

Any comments???

Regards...

351978[/snapback]

I think in Japan, its just all about Play Station. American cars don't do well there either, of course thats a crappy arugment as american cars for the most part suck.

Read it before, not surprised but I didn`t expect this from the article :

The company also redesigned the clunky black case, with help from Japanese teams, to create a streamlined, pearl-white look that is more appealing to Japanese tastes.

But in the end all depends on the consumer, as we know everyone wants PS3 :D

Gajin as for the link it says PS3 will be release in Japan this spring to go head to head with Xbox360.

The company also redesigned the clunky black case, with help from Japanese teams, to create a streamlined, pearl-white look that is more appealing to Japanese tastes. 

351985[/snapback]

Hrmm... pearl-white, kinda like the Saturn and Dreamcast? :rolleyes:

351985[/snapback]

351999[/snapback]

The Saturn was silver in prototypes, dark grey in Japan, black in the US, then the redesigned one(with round buttons) was white for NiGHTS, and the US redesign was black again.

Well, Japanese gamers have no reason to buy the 360 now...DOA4 was the only title most gamers there wanted...sales will pick up a bit when it releases but, I doubt anything enough to make Sony worry about MS on their home turf.

351985[/snapback]

351999[/snapback]

The Saturn was silver in prototypes, dark grey in Japan, black in the US, then the redesigned one(with round buttons) was white for NiGHTS, and the US redesign was black again.

352082[/snapback]

And let me say right now... the metallic one was DAMN sexy.

White Saturns have no relation to NiGHTS AFAIK. There's both original and redesign white JP Saturns. Grey JP Saturns are basically just the first batch built. All later ones are white, regardless of style.

The coolest Saturn is Blue Skeleton. Those rock--I really should have picked one up as a "spare" Saturn, they were very cheap when I saw them.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Yup, best controller. If you like 2D fighters, the Saturn was THE system to have----so many Capcom and SNK fighters. (Of which about 1/2 came to the US). For both the Saturn and Dreamcast, I have more imports than US games. And the all-important 4-in-1 and 5-in-1 carts. Still waiting for a new Dark Stalkers game. Morrigan's been in more "Vs" games now then her actual series...

Yup, best controller.  If you like 2D fighters, the Saturn was THE system to have----so many Capcom and SNK fighters.  (Of which about 1/2 came to the US).  For both the Saturn and Dreamcast, I have more imports than US games.  And the all-important 4-in-1 and 5-in-1 carts.  Still waiting for a new Dark Stalkers game.  Morrigan's been in more "Vs" games now then her actual series...

352271[/snapback]

Was a great system for 2D shooters as well, along with a good variety of unusual and just plain good games. Part of my attraction to the XBox has always been that it's felt like the closest thing to a spiritual successor to the Saturn and Dreamcast. Not necessarily in the same type of games, just that underdog spirit and a number of games which just wouldn't be seen on other systems.

Further along in this unrelated tangent, anyone seen the new Dreamcast game Radilgy? It's got an awesome graphical style, visible in the gameplay videos.

White Saturns have no relation to NiGHTS AFAIK.  There's both original and redesign white JP Saturns.  Grey JP Saturns are basically just the first batch built.  All later ones are white, regardless of style.

The coolest Saturn is Blue Skeleton.  Those rock--I really should have picked one up as a "spare" Saturn, they were very cheap when I saw them.

352180[/snapback]

The white first appeared with NiGHTS (might have been Christmas NiGHTS)...then it became the "standard". Though it's been awhile and my brain is fuzzy now. I can't recall...I'm getting old. :lol: I do remember having girls go gaga over NiGHTS, with the white analog controller at my place, and making them cry "Aptiva"!! whenever we...ummm...yeah.

:D

Edited by Gaijin

Twilight Princess has been held back untill late next year for Nintendo to work a new Revolution compatable control system in to it. The Revolution itself will also be launched around the same time.

In this way it will serve as an amazing swansong for the Gamecube and as a must have launch title for the Revolution.

All of that swordfighting and fgishing action shown in the controllers demo trailer will hopefully be on show in this one game.

All of this is from a UK magazine, "NGC" and is summed up here,

http://www.gamesradar.com/news/default.asp...bsectionid=2504

• 2 weeks later...

From magicbox :

- Sony Pictures Home Entertainment announced they will release 20 Blu-Ray videos for the launch of the Blu-Ray players in spring 2006, including The Fifth Element, Desperado, Hitch, Kung Fu Hustle, Resident Evil Apocalypse and more. Sony will publish more Blu-Ray videos in summer, simultaneously with DVD videos, such as Underworld Evolution. All Blu-Ray videos will be compatible with PlayStation 3.

- Paramount Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox will also release 10 and 20 Blu-Ray videos in spring 2006, including Aeon Flux, Four Brothers, Sahara, Fantasic Four, Behind Enemy Lines and more. Additional Blu-Ray videos will be available later in the year, such as Mission Impossible 3 and Stargate Atlantis.