1. 1. Which one are you going to get?

• xBOX360
    • Nintendo Revulotion
    • PS3
    • None
    • More than one
    • Can't think about games, Agent ONE is just so sexy, its distracting

What the hell? From Gamespot:

The side of the Xbox 360's packaging listed the accessories that will be included with the console: a hard drive, wireless controller, Xbox Live, headset, and Ethernet cable.No cables for hooking up to a monitor were listed.

Article

The accessories list also shows component and S video cables, along with VGA...I thought Component cables were coming standard. Think they'll pop in composites still or nothing at all?

What struck me was the blib about VGA being the only way to get HD out of the 360...I hope they didn't restrict the console to using that as the only HD output and limit the Component to 480p. :angry:

What the hell?  From Gamespot:

The side of the Xbox 360's packaging listed the accessories that will be included with the console: a hard drive, wireless controller, Xbox Live, headset, and Ethernet cable.No cables for hooking up to a monitor were listed.

Article

The accessories list also shows component and S video cables, along with VGA...I thought Component cables were coming standard.  Think they'll pop in composites still or nothing at all?

What struck me was the blib about VGA being the only way to get HD out of the 360...I hope they didn't restrict the console to using that as the only HD output and limit the Component to 480p.  :angry:

314649[/snapback]

A. it's only the first mock-up package.

B. Maybe they use standard AV ports? (I can dream, can't I?)

I'm sure it'll come with some form of AV cables.

As for the VGA HD fuss... I'd bet money that Gamespot misunderstood something.

Now, onto more important questions. Like when are they gonna do HDMI/DVI out. Digital signals, kthx.

What the hell?  From Gamespot:

Article

The accessories list also shows component and S video cables, along with VGA...I thought Component cables were coming standard.  Think they'll pop in composites still or nothing at all?

What struck me was the blib about VGA being the only way to get HD out of the 360...I hope they didn't restrict the console to using that as the only HD output and limit the Component to 480p.   :angry:

314649[/snapback]

A. it's only the first mock-up package.

B. Maybe they use standard AV ports? (I can dream, can't I?)

I'm sure it'll come with some form of AV cables.

As for the VGA HD fuss... I'd bet money that Gamespot misunderstood something.

Now, onto more important questions. Like when are they gonna do HDMI/DVI out. Digital signals, kthx.

314697[/snapback]

I figured the early package but they list component HD cables as an add on. People have said composite and component are pack ins..so I'm confused as to why Component cables are listed as an add on unless they pack in composites only...which while most people still use that, seems odd.

I thought MS was firm on no HDMI or DVI. Why I don't know...I suppose to keep the cost down. If they do offer it I'll need an HDMI switcher since I only have one free one to spare.

Edited by Gaijin

I figured the early package but they list component HD cables as an add on. People have said composite and component are pack ins..so I'm confused as to why Component cables are listed as an add on unless they pack in composites only...which while most people still use that, seems odd.

I'm still hoping it has standard RCA jacks on teh back for component video.

I thought MS was firm on no HDMI or DVI.  Why I don't know...I suppose to keep the cost down.  If they do offer it I'll need an HDMI switcher since I only have one free one to spare.

They probably are. Doesn't mean I don't want to see it happen.

I'm still hoping it has standard RCA jacks on teh back for component video.

Me too but, they can sell more accesories if it isn't.

They probably are. Doesn't mean I don't want to see it happen.

314917[/snapback]

We can hope.

If I recall my retail product training correctly, the 360 is coming with component video cables (sorry, JB0). The 360 is also supposed to support HDMI, last I checked. In fact, that's what I'm reserving the HDMI port on the 52" Toshiba DLP TV I plan on picking up by the end of August (I'm splurging, since I got promoted to Assistant Store Manager :D ).

If I recall my retail product training correctly, the 360 is coming with component video cables (sorry, JB0).  The 360 is also supposed to support HDMI, last I checked.  In fact, that's what I'm reserving the HDMI port on the 52" Toshiba DLP TV I plan on picking up by the end of August (I'm splurging, since I got promoted to Assistant Store Manager :D ).

315049[/snapback]

If so, that's good news about HDMI. Which model Toshiba are you getting?

From the INQUIRER

Sony president says Playstation 3 will be expensive

Also unveils dev kits

By Aaron McKenna: Thursday 28 July 2005, 11:00

AT THIS WEEK'S Sony Computer Entertainment's PlayStation Meeting in Tokyo, company president Ken Kutaragi meandered along to continue with his solemn warnings that the PlayStation 3 will not be a cheap console, even going so far as to say that "…the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households."

Well err, who else were you thinking of selling it to? That aside, he does say that Sony is planning a lifecycle of ten years for the PS3, which is about double what its predecessors got. Sony hopes to maintain this long life-cycle by investing now in those expensive pieces of kit, saying "We're looking at a life cycle of 10 years with the PlayStation 3. We're currently shifting from standard TVs to HDTVs.

"But in the next couple of years, most flat-panel TVs will be full HD. We're releasing the PS3 with full HD features from the start so that consumers won't have to buy another version of the console in the future. For the same reason, we're using Blu-ray as the PS3's disc format."

He also showed the first slides of the early dev kits and told the audience that Sony intends to meet the huge demand from developers to get their hands on the technology by October, as at the moment the number currently shipped to developers is only around 450, though they’ll ramp that up to 3,000 a month come October.

We can’t help but get uneasy feelings in our stomachs about the PS3 considering that it’ll be coming to market so long after the Xbox 360 and with a price tag to boot. Wonder how far that loyal PlayStation fan base will stretch?

Not that far, chief.

I read that a few days ago, but I have to wonder how expensive the PS3 will be? It was known that the PSP was going to be expensive for a handheld before it launched. People at Sony were quoted as saying it would launch around $400 in Japan. It did launch with a big price tag, but $250 isn't nearly as bad as expected. It's been stated that Sony is aiming for a $400 price tag for the PS3 now, but if that's true does that mean the Japanese or American price tag? Sony's consoles have traditionally been offered cheaper in the States.

The way Kutaragi talks...

...makes him sound like an arrogant "You'll buy it because it's PlayStation!" bastard.

And the sad thing is, he's probably right.

Edited by mikeszekely

The side thing?

Sorry, I just got promoted to assistant store manager... just in time for the store manager to take his vacation. So, I've had a stressful day at work trying to self-teach myself the stuff that under other circumstances, they would have taken the time to train me to do.

Fixed it.

The side thing?

Sorry, I just got promoted to assistant store manager... just in time for the store manager to take his vacation. So, I've had a stressful day at work trying to self-teach myself the stuff that under other circumstances, they would have taken the time to train me to do.

Fixed it.

315408[/snapback]

Hey, hey, no guilt trips. Making fun of typos is one of those simple joys only message boards can bring.

The quick, easy guide to retail/minimum wage - type leadership positions:

1. Blame the subordinates.

2. Delegate work to the subordinates.

3. If something goes wrong, return to step 1.

See? It doesn't have to be that difficult.

And the side thing is, he's probably right.

315403[/snapback]

The side thing? ;)

No, it could mean they're about to pull a Nintendo...

315407[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. This sort of arrogance is what cost Nintendo it's stop slot.

For as much as I've been looking forward to (and talking up) the Xbox 360, I'd been figuring that, maybe not at launch, but eventually, I'd wind up picking up a PS3. I mean, I might be dissapointed with it now, but eventually there'd be a game I'd want for it... like probably a new Ace Combat.

Well, Taito has announced their support for the 360, and their first announced title for it might be enough to make me forget about Ace Combat for awhile.

World Airforce

World Airforce is a sequel to the popular, import-only PS2 game Energy Airforce. The promise of highly (and accurately, as Taito supposedly works closely with companies like Lockheed) detailed aircraft and photo-realistic enviornments has me keeping my fingers crossed that this one will get a US release.

I would to know if the PS2 slim is more sensitive than the normal PS2 ?

315840[/snapback]

Depends who you ask.

Majority opinion seems to be that the larger models are more reliable, though.

(I wouldn't be surprised, given there's precious little room in the slimline for heatsinks or fans).

315840[/snapback]

Depends who you ask.

(I wouldn't be surprised, given there's precious little room in the slimline for heatsinks or fans).

315843[/snapback]

I have em both, they behave the same. I'd say the slim one is easier to drop or knock off of something as its light and small, that is why people think it isn't built as well.

315840[/snapback]

Depends who you ask.

315843[/snapback]

I have em both, they behave the same. I'd say the slim one is easier to drop or knock off of something as its light and small, that is why people think it isn't built as well.

316505[/snapback]

Yah.

I can see arguments either way, really.

Long-term, the slimline should have a more reliable drive mech. One moving part to wear out instead of 3(raising/lowering the mech and opening/closing the tray are elminated, so you only have to worry about the laser tracking).

But the older models should cool better.

May be offset by more efficient chips, though. Less heat to start with.

315840[/snapback]

Depends who you ask.

315843[/snapback]

316505[/snapback]

Yah.

Long-term, the slimline should have a more reliable drive mech. One moving part to wear out instead of 3(raising/lowering the mech and opening/closing the tray are elminated, so you only have to worry about the laser tracking).

316558[/snapback]

yeah but who has these things long term... As soon as the PS3 comes out, I am going to can both my PS2s.

315840[/snapback]

Depends who you ask.

315843[/snapback]

316505[/snapback]

Yah.

316558[/snapback]

yeah but who has these things long term... As soon as the PS3 comes out, I am going to can both my PS2s.

316591[/snapback]

Me, for one.

PS2 hasn't replaced the PS1 because, among other things, it isn't 100% compatible. There's slight glitches here and there, and exacerbations of other glitches, resulting in some game-crash issues.

Are they uncommon? Sure. But they're there.

And not everyone wants a PS3. Particularly if Kutaragi's ramblings about it being not affordable for households are accurate.

315840[/snapback]

Depends who you ask.

315843[/snapback]

316505[/snapback]

Yah.

316558[/snapback]

316591[/snapback]

Me, for one.

PS2 hasn't replaced the PS1 because, among other things, it isn't 100% compatible. There's slight glitches here and there, and exacerbations of other glitches, resulting in some game-crash issues.

And not everyone wants a PS3. Particularly if Kutaragi's ramblings about it being not affordable for households are accurate.

316684[/snapback]

True...but a lot of people do ditch their systems when new ones appear. I used to keep them all but, I wound up with way too many...

Who said everyone wanted a PS3?

315840[/snapback]

Depends who you ask.

315843[/snapback]

316505[/snapback]

Yah.

316558[/snapback]

316591[/snapback]

Me, for one.

316684[/snapback]

True...but a lot of people do ditch their systems when new ones appear. I used to keep them all but, I wound up with way too many...

316696[/snapback]

A1 implied everyone with a PS2 is upgrading to PS3.

315840[/snapback]

Depends who you ask.

315843[/snapback]

316505[/snapback]

Yah.

316558[/snapback]

316591[/snapback]

Me, for one.

316684[/snapback]

316696[/snapback]

A1 implied everyone with a PS2 is upgrading to PS3.

316717[/snapback]

And keep in mind A1 is ALWAYS correct.

The way Kutaragi talks...

...makes him sound like an arrogant "You'll buy it because it's PlayStation!" bastard.

And the sad thing is, he's probably right.

315403[/snapback]

I'll buy it becuase it has Metal Gear, what I'll do with it after that depends on what excluisve titles it has.