XBOX 360?

Ladic

Meh, when it came down to me buying a XBox or a PS2, I ended up with the XBox because of Halo. Now that Conker is coming to the XBox as well...I'm very VERY glad I went with the XBox...I LOVED that game on the N64.

For those that think MS makes crappy products.... Have you seen a fresh install of Windows XP in action? I have yet to see the blue screen of death or to see it crash at all. I can't possibly see myself buying another OS ever again...until the software companies stop making their software compatible with XP....

If MS didn't make their next-gen console backwards compatible, that'd just be plain stupid on their part. I think the backwards compatiblity with the PS2 is what made it so popular...that and it's other capabilities. If it hadn't been for Halo, I would have gotten a PS2 cause of the backwards compatiblity and DVD capability. But the XBox can play music and DVDs as well, so I can't complain...I am very happy with it. In some instances, the DVD player on the XBox is much better than some of those on the market today. ...Anyway, there still has yet to be a game on the PS2 that I MUST get, unlike Halo/Halo2 and Conker for the XBox. ...Here's hoping for the best...!

if you have a dell or gateway. jam in some generic ram instead of the ceritifed ones with there logo on it, that gives the blue screen sometimes.

While I own both an Xbox and the new, slim PS2*, I enjoy console-only titles that both platforms bring, and couldn't be pressed to pick a favorite.

Some people have mentioned above that Sony puts out a ton of crap games, but seem to think that Xbox does not. I beg to differ. For every good Xbox game out there, there's about 10-15 crappy ones. I think that's a fairly even ratio with the PS2.

Of course, I would want backwards compatability on the new Xbox 836, but I'm not willing to pay the extra to have Halo 3 thrown in, as I am NOT a Halo fan.

p.s.- Kin, I cannot believe you have that for your avatar!!! :lol:

*If you thought the Xbox looked gigantic before, you should see it next to the Slim PS2!!!

Edited by the white drew carey

$299 is bare bones version.  $399 gets you the HD (with Halo2?), backwards compatability, and something else I'm forgetting...

You have to pay an additional $100 to get backwards compatibility? That's one of the most lame things I've heard so far regarding these next gen consoles.

Still convinced that the something extra ISN'T Halo 2.

The something else you're forgetting is the persistant rumor that the hard drive will be removable and battery powered, so that you can load it with mp3s and use it like an iPod.

In other words, $399 is supposed to get you a next-gen console with a hard drive, backwards compatibility, and Microsoft's take on the iPod. Considering the ridiculous price tag on the iPod, that doesn't sound like such a bad deal to me...

I have no particular like or dislike for any of the console manufacturers. That said, I grew up on Nintendo, but haven't cared for any of their hardware save the GBA SP since the SNES, so I'm not particularly interested in the Revolution. Despite their shortcomings, I've enjoyed every piece of Sony hardware I've owned, and will therefore buy a PS3. And, although I'll agree that Microsoft lacks good design sense, I loved my Xbox, and if the hard drive mp3 player rumor turns out to be true, will certainly be buying an Xbox 2/Xenon/Xbox Next/Xbox FS/Xbox 360.

As far as their PC stuff goes, I've never ran into any problems with XP. It's just a matter of learning it. Media Player is fine, but I've started using VLC instead. I can't stand IE; I use Firefox exclusively now. I bought a Microsoft keyboard that I like a lot. And as far as their PC games go, well, I'm not much of a PC gamer. So I suppose it doesn't matter.

Just curious, does anyone actually feel the urge to buy any of the next-gen systems at launch? I think I've only done it one time, with the N64, but all the other systems I just give a year or so to work out QC issues, get good games, and lower the price tag to a resonable level. I'm usually satisfied with games off the older systems I haven't gotten around to playing. Combined with the lower amount of time I have to play, I'm not in a rush to throw down the kind of money it takes to get one of these shiney new systems and a game or two. Then I look at which one is worth my money.

Just curious, does anyone actually feel the urge to buy any of the next-gen systems at launch? I think I've only done it one time, with the N64, but all the other systems I just give a year or so to work out QC issues, get good games, and lower the price tag to a resonable level. I'm usually satisfied with games off the older systems I haven't gotten around to playing. Combined with the lower amount of time I have to play, I'm not in a rush to throw down the kind of money it takes to get one of these shiney new systems and a game or two. Then I look at which one is worth my money.

I'm a hardcore gamer, so I usually can't resist. I've bought a Dreamcast, PS2, GBA, GBA SP, Nintendo DS, and a PSP all at launch. (I was too young to buy anything before those on my own, so I had to wait for them as gifts. But I have pretty much owned everything). I bought an Xbox and a Gamecube within a few months of launch.

For the next-gen consoles, well, I didn't play the N64 all that much, and I've pretty much seen the DS and Gamecube as dissapointments. So, I won't be buying a Revolution until they have a game for it I can't resist. As for the Xbox 360 and the PS3, well, I have to see their official unveiling. Any bombshells in design or price could yet influence my decisions negatively. At the moment, though, I plan to buy both at their respective launches.

Wes and I are in the same boat. With my wife in grad-school and the job market here in central PA being crap, we don't really have the luxury to buy new systems when they come out. We'll usually pick them up after the first or second price-drop.

I love video games, but I'm not that into them that I can justify dropping $300-$400 on a new system.

The one thing I hate, and call me old school on this, is the concept of the all-in-wonder system. I don't want my Xbox to have a removable HD that plays MP3's, washes the dog and reminds you when your next dentist appointment is. I want an Xbox that plays games, damnit! I've already got an all-in-wonder system- It's called my computer. I simply want my consoles to play games, and that's it. That's the beauty of a console system- it's a cheap computer that does one thing simply and really, really good... play games.

For those that think MS makes crappy products.... Have you seen a fresh install of Windows XP in action? I have yet to see the blue screen of death or to see it crash at all. I can't possibly see myself buying another OS ever again...until the software companies stop making their software compatible with XP....

I have XP, you know what happend to me a month after I got it? The damned thing got infected with that blaster worm, and it disabled my internet explorer meaning I couldn't download what I needed to fix it. Sure it's stable but it's got security flaws up the ass.

That's pretty much what I plan to do, let them get all bugs out first. Though I've pretty much decided I'll get the PS3. Nothing is really making me want an Nintendo system, and I don't have the money to buy a console just for one game. As much as I like Halo I'm not paying $300 just to play one game, Halo is good but not that good. I'm damn near 100% satisfied with my PS2 so there isn't much reason for me to look at the others, though I might get an old xbox if I run into one hella cheap just for Halo.

I'm not sure about you guys but I'm not even sure I want a new hardware leap. I would be happy if we stayed on the current generation of consoles a bit longer. Once software developers start releasing games that take total advantage of the hardware and max it out to its abilities that when I start getting excited. There has to be a launch title (or a title early in its first generation) of AAA quality like what happened with dreamcast's launch - too bad sega couldn't stay alive long enough thanks to the hype of the coming ps2 launch *sigh*

Nintendo are great for games that range in the general audience as a casual gamer's system. (ie you don't buy 10 game a month :D) The titles they make themselves are great but you end up waiting between each game for something new to play if you are a frequent gamer. What often happens is you end up buying a nintendo system as well as another system rather than relying on nintendo alone for a constant stream of good third party software. (doesn't help that sony try to get the exclusive 1-year license on things before others, and then turn the third parties against the competition. This is why I would hate for one comapny to gain too much power, or we will see a monopoly instead of a healthy competition between rivals with consumers gaining from all the choice)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I feel the exact same way only I have a very convienient birthday. Anytime anything is released in Nov I get it regardless. Personally, I wouldn't buy a launch system unless I was very interested also due to lack of play time. Was going to get the PSP but didn't like the stunts Sony was pulling so I will wait. Have no interest in the DS at all. Anything else.... I'm likely to get free. :D

Just curious, does anyone actually feel the urge to buy any of the next-gen systems at launch?  I think I've only done it one time, with the N64, but all the other systems I just give a year or so to work out QC issues, get good games, and lower the price tag to a resonable level.  I'm usually satisfied with games off the older systems I haven't gotten around to playing.  Combined with the lower amount of time I have to play, I'm not in a rush to throw down the kind of money it takes to get one of these shiney new systems and a game or two.  Then I look at which one is worth my money.

Wes and I are in the same boat. With my wife in grad-school and the job market here in central PA being crap, we don't really have the luxury to buy new systems when they come out. We'll usually pick them up after the first or second price-drop.

I love video games, but I'm not that into them that I can justify dropping $300-$400 on a new system.

The one thing I hate, and call me old school on this, is the concept of the all-in-wonder system. I don't want my Xbox to have a removable HD that plays MP3's, washes the dog and reminds you when your next dentist appointment is. I want an Xbox that plays games, damnit! I've already got an all-in-wonder system- It's called my computer. I simply want my consoles to play games, and that's it. That's the beauty of a console system- it's a cheap computer that does one thing simply and really, really good... play games.

WDC, I had no idea that you were so close! Where exactly in central PA are you? I'm really close to Latrobe, where they brew Rolling Rock (maybe an hour east of Pittsburgh).

'Kay, back on topic. I agree, I want to buy a game console to play games. That's one of the reasons why I'm so dissapointed with the DS... most of the games have been crap at best. The only two games I really got into were Feel the Magic and WarioWare, but both of those were like sweet flings.

That said, the fact that the PS2 was backwards compatible gave me something to play with for the year or so it took to start getting games out for it (the first games I truly enjoyed were Z.O.E and Onimusha). Also, the fact that the PS2 played DVDs got me to buy my first DVD. Nevermind the fact that I rarely play PSone games now, and I have a much better stand-alone DVD player.

Likewise with the PSP... I bought it because I'm in love with the idea of playing console-quality games on a handheld, not to mention that gorgeous screen. But since it can, I've been converting my fansubbed avi files to mp4 and watching them on the PSP.

Now with the Xbox 360... sure, I don't really feel like springing extra for features I'm not too interested in. But, I do want a hard drive for Live, downloadable content, and because I'd rather pay extra for a hard drive than extra for memory cards. If it happens to double as an mp3 player, so much the better.

ack, i'll probably be on 3rd shift the night before it comes out, so, just like i did with the PS2's launch date, at 6:30, i'll get off work, head over to the mall by 7, meet the wife and kids, at 10:00, doors open, and i'll be #1 in line again....

3 hours of waiting and i get three systems again. and since i'm leaving straight from work, with no time to change into civvies, no one will try to get in front of us. :lol::lol::lol::lol: never any fights at the lines I'm in.

ack, i'll probably be on 3rd shift the night before it comes out, so, just like i did with the PS2's launch date, at 6:30, i'll get off work, head over to the mall by 7, meet the wife and kids, at 10:00, doors open, and i'll be #1 in line again....

3 hours of waiting and i get three systems again. and since i'm leaving straight from work, with no time to change into civvies, no one will try to get in front of us. :lol::lol::lol::lol: never any fights at the lines I'm in.

What if the stores open early, like they did for the PSP? Or, which is actually quite likely, what if stores start selling them at midnight?

probably going to make it harderfor myself, no one lives in Cleveland around here, right?

ok, i went to Sears. they don't open any earlier for stuff like this.

on PS2 launch, walmart, best buy, super k, etc. all had lines at the front door by 6:30a. super k was open 24/7 and had lines since 9pm.

went to the mall, lines at all the entrances closest to gamestop/ebgames/etc. went over to sears and saw a sign, store opens at 10am, line up at this door for PS2, numbers will be handed out at 9:30. called the wife, told her and the kid where to meet me, handed out the cash to each of them and got the first 3 PS2s that day.

one for me, one for my son, and one for the k9 guy who got stuck working. sears was giving people a hard time saying no family members can buy more than 1, but, hey, i'm chinese, my wife is white, my son is half chinese/quarter black/quarter white, looks like neither of us, and blammo, three PS2s. and who's gonna try and steal cash or cut in front of me ? I even did Sears a favor by telling people to leave once all 20 tickets were handed out and getting rid of some overzealous people who were trying to muscle their way into line earlier in the morning. one guy even offered me $100 to get in front. nope. no sale here. told him i don't take no bribes. (that cheap... j/k) i kept the sears line in line. no cops were called to break up fights there, unlike walmart and best buy. there were two agg. robs over at walmart by 7:15a. sheesh. stealing a ps2. was $299/6 month wait worth years in prison? well, i guess to two people it was.

for for the next xbox and ps3, i'll be hitting sears. unless i preorder the dang thing which i won't probably.

probably going to make it harderfor myself, no one lives in Cleveland around here, right?

ok, i went to Sears. they don't open any earlier for stuff like this.

on PS2 launch, walmart, best buy, super k, etc. all had lines at the front door by 6:30a. super k was open 24/7 and had lines since 9pm.

went to the mall, lines at all the entrances closest to gamestop/ebgames/etc. went over to sears and saw a sign, store opens at 10am, line up at this door for PS2, numbers will be handed out at 9:30. called the wife, told her and the kid where to meet me, handed out the cash to each of them and got the first 3 PS2s that day.

one for me, one for my son, and one for the k9 guy who got stuck working. sears was giving people a hard time saying no family members can buy more than 1, but, hey, i'm chinese, my wife is white, my son is half chinese/quarter black/quarter white, looks like neither of us, and blammo, three PS2s. and who's gonna try and steal cash or cut in front of me ? I even did Sears a favor by telling people to leave once all 20 tickets were handed out and getting rid of some overzealous people who were trying to muscle their way into line earlier in the morning. one guy even offered me $100 to get in front. nope. no sale here. told him i don't take no bribes. (that cheap... j/k) i kept the sears line in line. no cops were called to break up fights there, unlike walmart and best buy. there were two agg. robs over at walmart by 7:15a. sheesh. stealing a ps2. was $299/6 month wait worth years in prison? well, i guess to two people it was.

for for the next xbox and ps3, i'll be hitting sears. unless i preorder the dang thing which i won't probably.

When I preordered my PS2, it was in early January of the year it came out. As EB's are wont to do, they had taken more preorders for PS2s than they were going to recieve, so I couldn't get mine at launch. However, I got mine two days later, with no trouble, since I don't think people thought to try to rob people of PS2s that were seemingly sold out.

This time around, though, I have an advantage... I'm a Gamestop employee! So, I'll preorder an Xbox 360, then purchase it in one of two ways:

1.) *PSP launch method* Buy my console first, then open the doors to the rest.

2.) *Halo 2 method* Set one aside, open the store, buy it before I leave for the night/day.

Reguardless of the scenario, I'm guaranteed one. Oh, and since it is a Gamestop, it's likely that we'll only sell to preorders at midnight or if we open early in the morning. If we determine that we have extras, we'll probably wait until the next day to sell them.

Just curious, does anyone actually feel the urge to buy any of the next-gen systems at launch?  I think I've only done it one time, with the N64, but all the other systems I just give a year or so to work out QC issues, get good games, and lower the price tag to a resonable level.  I'm usually satisfied with games off the older systems I haven't gotten around to playing.  Combined with the lower amount of time I have to play, I'm not in a rush to throw down the kind of money it takes to get one of these shiney new systems and a game or two.  Then I look at which one is worth my money.

WDC, I had no idea that you were so close! Where exactly in central PA are you? I'm really close to Latrobe, where they brew Rolling Rock (maybe an hour east of Pittsburgh).

'Kay, back on topic. I agree, I want to buy a game console to play games. That's one of the reasons why I'm so dissapointed with the DS... most of the games have been crap at best. The only two games I really got into were Feel the Magic and WarioWare, but both of those were like sweet flings.

That said, the fact that the PS2 was backwards compatible gave me something to play with for the year or so it took to start getting games out for it (the first games I truly enjoyed were Z.O.E and Onimusha). Also, the fact that the PS2 played DVDs got me to buy my first DVD. Nevermind the fact that I rarely play PSone games now, and I have a much better stand-alone DVD player.

Likewise with the PSP... I bought it because I'm in love with the idea of playing console-quality games on a handheld, not to mention that gorgeous screen. But since it can, I've been converting my fansubbed avi files to mp4 and watching them on the PSP.

Now with the Xbox 360... sure, I don't really feel like springing extra for features I'm not too interested in. But, I do want a hard drive for Live, downloadable content, and because I'd rather pay extra for a hard drive than extra for memory cards. If it happens to double as an mp3 player, so much the better.

Mike- I'm in State College while the Mrs. attends grad school.

I just hope the new Xbox doesn't pull a PS2 with their HD.

Are you guys sure it is called Xbox 360? According to my contact in the MS enterainment division, on May 12 we will know the official name. It seems like we will know on MTV b/c that is where it will be unveiled.

I hope they choose a new name.. I think 360 is a pretty poor choice.. unless it's a big big shaped thing.. but the name can also mean that it's a complete turn around which I don't think is something they want to suggest...

Are you guys sure it is called Xbox 360? According to my contact in the MS enterainment division, on May 12 we will know the official name. It seems like we will know on MTV b/c that is where it will be unveiled.

That's been known for about 2 weeks or so lol It'll debuting in Japan on May 13th.

As of now, I won't be buying this. I don't even own an X-Box. Maybe I'll bite if there are some games I'm interested in of course. Most likely, I'll wait for the PS3 in 2006.

I'm with Wes... not only do I never really care enough about this stuff to buy it at launch... but I'm also surprised at how many people care about what the exterior looks like.

No offense to the designers, etc... but every damn console I've ever seen has a power button, an input tray (or cartridge for those of you who remember way back yonder), controller ports and memory cartridge areas.

To be really honest, this XBox 360 isn't all that much different than every game console since the Atari 5200. It's just smaller. And shinier. Whee.

I hope they choose a new name.. I think 360 is a pretty poor choice.. unless it's a big big shaped thing.. but the name can also mean that it's a complete turn around which I don't think is something they want to suggest...

Wouldn't a turn around be a 180? :p

My guess is they want to avoid the "2" moniker so that they don't have to compete with the "3" in PS3. The uninformed consumer sees Xbox2 and PS3, they're going to assume that the PS3 is the next-gen hardware.

Not sure how I feel about the other rumored names either, like Xenon or XboxNext. I'd put money on the MTV special featuring second-tier hiphop artists playing the NextBox in their humungous "crib" while raving about how real the graphics are. Poor Naz and Jay-Z will be relegated to merely pimping Halo 2.5 rather than their lifestyles.

Ho hum, this thing will still lag behind the Playstation 3 by tens of millions of units sold. I'd go so far to say the Playstation 2 will be outselling this console when it is relased.

Kind of like how the SNES guaranteed the N64's success, eh?

Sony won't be on top forever, they might not get overthrown this generation but I suspect Microsoft (and maybe Nintendo) will take some of Sony's market share. Sony is getting fat and lazy, only a matter of time.

Sony won't be on top forever, they might not get overthrown this generation but I suspect Microsoft (and maybe Nintendo) will take some of Sony's market share. Sony is getting fat and lazy, only a matter of time.

Either way, I'd preffer not to see a monopoly on the gaming market. Especialy not by Microsoft.

Either way, I'd preffer not to see a monopoly on the gaming market. Especialy not by Microsoft.

I don't want a monopoly either, but as it is the market is really unbalanced in Sony's favor. Nothing like having multi-platform games that look like ass just so they can run on the PS2. <_<

To be really honest, this XBox 360 isn't all that much different than every game console since the Atari 5200. It's just smaller. And shinier. Whee.

What makes it diffrent than the 2600, INTV, and Channel F?

</nitpicky_bastage>

To be really honest, this XBox 360 isn't all that much different than every game console since the Atari 5200.  It's just smaller.  And shinier.  Whee.

What makes it diffrent than the 2600, INTV, and Channel F?

</nitpicky_bastage>

Wireless controllers out of the box, an optical disc drive, digital/optical out for surround sound, most likely support for hi-def TVs...