Not really Macross related but are the...

Valk009

Well, finally gave in and bought myself the new slim PS2 a few weeks back <_<

Got a few games already (yep the Macross game is one of them :p ) but wanted to know whether the gungames are good and which one?

Thanks for any comments in advance,

Andy :)

I am assuming you mean light gun games. Here are the ones I've played so far:

- Vampire Night: this strange collaboration between Namco and Sega is your typical on rails light gun game in the tradition of the House of the Dead series. Except you are shooting vampires instead of zombies. There are hostages to not shoot and hidden power ups, etc. I suspect Namco is responsible for most of the work, Sega only got their name on it because some of the sound effects came right out of their THOTD games. This game somehow came up short for me compared to the THOTD games, it just didn't seem visceral or fast-paced enough. Still, a worthy addition to your library if you love on rail type of light gun games. The art and production value on this title is higher than average.

- Ninja Assault: another on rails light gun game. If you can get over the goofy concept of ninjas using guns made out of wood during feudal Japan period then you'll have a lot of fun blasting away. The production value is a bit rough but does not detract from the visceral gameplay.

- Resident Evil: Dead Aim: this game has trouble deciding if it wants to be a light gun game or a typical survival horror adventure. It ends up being neither, and is a low budget title aimed at cashing in the RE brand name. Why Capcom decided to release this instead of the fun Code Veronica shooter is beyond me. The game allows you to play as the other character after completing the game once, but it is the same game without any changes in reference to the character swap. In fact, even during the cut scenes, you watch the same scenes without the lead character being replaced by the one you've unlocked. That's how low-budget it goes. Last but not least, the big bad boss is a gender-confused sissy that makes Code Veronica's Alfred as manly as Agent ONE. :lol:

I was debating with a friend over a drink one late night and we were trying to figure out how light guns work. How DO light guns work?

I don't geddit......

Does your TV have sensors that somehow relay back to the console so it knows where the gun is pointing at? But i'm guessing since the TV is just output and receives no input except from the console....it has everything to do with the gun....i duno...maybe someone can enlighten me.

I don't play any light gun games on the PS2 though.

I love this genre of video games. From Duck hunt on i have been a fan of Shooting games, particularly the Gun-Con and Gun-Con 2 games put out by Namco.

Personally, there are a few games that I really recommend, but you have to know what you are getting first, many of them are PS-1 titles, but they play on the PS2, so it doesn't matter.

The Time Crisis series are really fun games, they have some of the best accuracy of any light gun games and are entertaining to plow through. I do not have Time Crisis 3 yet, but once I pick up another tube tv I will snag a copy.

House of the Dead, not sure about US PS or PS2 releases, but I have these for the dreamcast and they are extremely fun I like to play two player solo for John Woo style shooting, two hands, two guns! :)

Elemental Gearbolt, this one will probably be hard to find but Working Designs brought over this port from Japan for the Playstation and it is an awesome game, really neat shooter on rails, really different enemies.

Namco also put out a series of games called Point Blank, these are shooting gallery games, more akin to Duck Hunt or the old Police Trainer Shooting gallery arcade games than House of the Dead, but they are extremely fun if you like Gun Con shooting games.

The one serious recommendation I have is to spend the extra money and get a Gun-Con, the vast majority of third party light gun out there suck to the most ultimate extreme possible, the Namco Gun-Con in my opinion is head and shoulders above any other light gun on the market.

Edited by Ghadrack

Whoa, I forgot I have Elemental Gearbolt. That's a pretty involved game with three stock weapons to choose from and an RPG type of feel to it.

Point Blank games are a lot of fun. Everyone gets into them because they are simple but challenging.

The time crisis games are good too. There is a new one called Crisis Zone. In the arcade you had a big ole machine gun so I don't know how it works on the home version.

The big thing with light gun games is that you have to make sure you don't move once you calibrate your gun.