Star Wars Question

wwwmwww

In conversation recently a topic came up that I haven't thought much about recently. I've always been a big fan of the B-Wing design and I remember a teaser short that was released in advance of a new Star Was PC game coming out. This was about 10 years ago. I loved that little short and saved it. I have no idea where it is now. As I recall it showed the wing rotating around the cockpit of a B-Wing while I think another B-Wing was shot out of the sky in the back ground. There was a detailed pilot and cockpit on the foreground. I think there was also a B-Wing landing sequence in there somewhere. Anyone out there remember that little teaser short or the game that it was tied to? I didn't have much time for games then and still don't now but I'd like to try and track down that short again.

Thanks,

Carl

It might have been from the old X-Wing / TIE Fighter / X vs. T game sets... I remember they released an addon for I believe the original X-Wing PC game that added the B-Wing fighter and a bunch of missions. Could be those shots were from that game as I remember that game did have incidental animations of the B-Wing taking off, landing and such that occured between mission levels.

I've got the X-wing, TIE fighter, X v. TIE package and I seem to remember something like that in there. Of course Reb Assault may have a similar scene as well. If I get the time and remember I'll try and look for it for you.

Thanks for the input guys. The particular sequence I'm thinking of wasn't in the game per say. It was a movie file released before the game. It was probably made up of footage that was later used in the game though. It ended with the name of the game getting flashed across the screen followed by "coming soon" or a release date. I'm not really after the game but that movie file but if I can't find that and there is a way to pull those sequences out of the game I'd be interested in seeing that too. I just wasn't sure where to start looking.

Thanks,

Carl

TIE Fighter with the Defender of the Empire expansion pack still ranks as one of the best space games.

Great action, immersion as a TIE Pilot, awesome story.

Where else can you be Darth Vader's wingman and serving under then Vice Admiral Thrawn?

That game was kicka** all the way through!

Ive loved the B-Wing as well since I first saw them in Return of the Jedi.

The weapons outload is significantly higher than given in the games.....

x1 heavy laser cannon (in the weapons cluster at the base of the primary airfoil)

x3 medium ion cannons (1 on each Strike-foil, 1 in the weapons cluster)

x2 proton torpedo launchers (1 just below the engine intake, 1 in weapons cluster)

x4 auto-blasters (mounted in on the head/cockpit)

Its been a while since I read up on this, but this discrepancy is likely yet another holdover from the old West End Games days. They (incorrectly) guessed at a lot of figures when they originally made the SW: RPG, and unfortunately Lucasfilm has been reluctant to retract and correct most of it. They only recently admitted that the Super Star Destroyer is larger then the venerable 8km figure.

Its been a while since I read up on this, but this discrepancy is likely yet another holdover from the old West End Games days. They (incorrectly) guessed at a lot of figures when they originally made the SW: RPG, and unfortunately Lucasfilm has been reluctant to retract and correct most of it. They only recently admitted that the Super Star Destroyer is larger then the venerable 8km figure.

The Executor Class Super Star Destroyer is 17.6km long B))

Thanks for the input guys. The particular sequence I'm thinking of wasn't in the game per say. It was a movie file released before the game. It was probably made up of footage that was later used in the game though. It ended with the name of the game getting flashed across the screen followed by "coming soon" or a release date. I'm not really after the game but that movie file but if I can't find that and there is a way to pull those sequences out of the game I'd be interested in seeing that too. I just wasn't sure where to start looking.

Thanks,

Carl

I think Knight26 is right. That sounds like the teaser trailer for Rebel Assault 2. IIRC It featured a patrol of B-wings who get jumped by an unseen attacker (later revealed in the game to be new TIE fighters equiped with a cloaking device) the last B-wing to get shot down does deploy it's S-foils before getting destroyed.

The Executor Class Super Star Destroyer is 17.6km long B))

Yup, or thereabouts. But stodgy old Lucasfilm still cling to the old incorrect dimensions. They've grudgingly updated it to 12,800 meters, according to the Databank on the OS. <_<

TIE Fighter with the Defender of the Empire expansion pack still ranks as one of the best space games.

Great action, immersion as a TIE Pilot, awesome story.

Where else can you be Darth Vader's wingman and serving under then Vice Admiral Thrawn?

That game was kicka** all the way through!

Amen brotha.

I dropped many an hour into the old floppy versions of TIE Fighter and Defender of the Empire.

Such a great game. I loved catching the occasional easter egg, like satellites named BFG3000 and MSTK3000 (that was the best one!).

Oh god I loved that game. I miss it so. I wish my CD version worked :( Anyone know how to get the CD version to work? It says I have to have DirectX 5... I guess DirectX 9 isn't good enough :lol:

Vostok 7

I think Knight26 is right. That sounds like the teaser trailer for Rebel Assault 2. IIRC It featured a patrol of B-wings who get jumped by an unseen attacker (later revealed in the game to be new TIE fighters equiped with a cloaking device) the last B-wing to get shot down does deploy it's S-foils before getting destroyed.

I think you hit the nail on the head. That sounds very very familiar. They were jumped and I don't remember seeing the attacker. Do you have that teaser trailer or have any idea where I could find it?

Thank you so much guys,

Carl

If you guys got the Xwing CD where it had all the expansions and the Tie Fighter CD as well, the B-wings made their appearance. Many hours were lost to those games. Then XvT came out with no B-wing. It was the expansion pack that came out with single player missions and additional fighters to be used. In X-wing Alliance, the final trilogy of the X-Wing franchise, you can choose more fighters other than your standard Alliance and Empire craft. But if it was 10 years ago, 1994, then it was either Rebel Assault 2 or X-wing with the 3rd expansion. X-wing was released in Fall of 1992. Rebel assault was released in 1993.

• 11 months later...