Too Many Minmays?

Gubaba

I saw Mari Iijima perform at the Genghis Cohen Cantina last night. I didn't know exactly what to expect, but I certainly wasn't expecting the show to be anywhere near as good as it was. She did an excellent version of "Desperado," believe it or not, as well as other songs spanning her career.

Before doing a song from her first album, she told a funny story about having a crush on Ryuichi Sakamoto when he was producing her first album (apparently, he wouldn't even kiss her cheek, although later, when she ran into him in a coffee shop, he insited that she sit in his lap, which made her boyfriend pretty upset).

Towards the end of the set, she said, "I think I've made my peace with Macross," and asked how many people there were anime fans. Quite a few hands shot up, and she said, "See? On the one hand, it's nice. On the other, I've made twenty f***ing albums, but it's Macross everyone remembers!" She said she'd been trying to figure out what do for Macross, and had practiced "0-G Love," but finally decided on something else. Then she launched into "Do You Remember Love," which was awesome.

At the encore, she said she didn't know what to play. Someone shouted out for "My Boyfriend's a Pilot," to which she said, "Wow, that one is REALLY an anime song..." I shouted out for "Tenshi no Engoku," which she then played.

At any rate, it was a great show, and her new CD, "Gems" (a kinda sorta greatest hits), is really, really good.

The bizarre part of the evening involved the couple in front of me. The man worked for Star Trek, and was talking about it before the show. He also called his wife "Reba," which got me wondering. After the show, after getting a signed CD from Mari, I talked to them a bit, and the man said, "You know, my wife here played Minmay in America," so I found myself chatting with Reba West...

She was also very nice, and I felt comfortable enough to say that I thought Mari had had better songs to work with, and she agreed.

So yeah...interesting night...

You met Reba West??

Did you use the throat tear maneuver to rip out her voice box?

That's the only way to ensure that she will never, ever sing again. Because you know that HG doing DYRL will ultimately result in Do You Remember Love being replaced by WEEEE WILL WIIIINNNNNNNN! <_<

Eh ive cut Reba West some slack. I know she really cant sing that well, but if you ask her about it, shell freely admit that Iijima is much better and remembers the only reason she got to sing was she was the only female with even minor singing experience.

I've cut her a little slack also. Regardless, the songs SUCK.

In her interview in "Robotech: Battlecry", she openly admits that all of the songs were pretty bad (she mentioned only one that she felt like was any good, and I don't remember which one that was)

Both in the same place at the same time... wow...

Did you have to pay to get into this place?

How long was Mari Iijima performing?

You got to hear her perform DYRL and An Angel Paints.......damn I'm jealous. I'd love to hear those two songs live. ;) It's also pretty nice to hear she's cracking jokes about the while Minmay situation.

What was the special occassion?

Did you have to pay to get into this place?

How long was Mari Iijima performing?

You got to hear her perform DYRL and An Angel Paints.......damn I'm jealous. I'd love to hear those two songs live. ;) It's also pretty nice to hear she's cracking jokes about the while Minmay situation.

What was the special occassion?

same here... would love to hear an angel paints live...

and the reba west thing is just plain bizzare... did they go knowing who was playing or was it just a freak accident thing?

Is reba stalking mari??? :blink:

Mari Ijima has played at two anime conventions I've been to. She really does put on an excellent performance. I really like hearing her non-Macross music as well. I need to pick up some of her albums some time when I'm not uber poor.

same here... would love to hear an angel paints live...

Man that's like knowing you'll never hear the intro of "Wasted Years" live, since

both Bruce and Adrian left Iron Maiden years before

and the came 1999 ^_^^_^

(So you see: there's always hope!)

Argh! You guys are so lucky in the US. :p

I suppose you didn't get Reba West's autograph... or don't dare to admit that here... haha...

No, I didn't get the Divine Miss West's autograph, although I probably should've...It would've been interesting to get a photo of them together as well. Missed opportunities, I suppose.

As for the special occasion, I think it was just because Mari's new CD is coming out on Tuesday, although she had a box of advance copies with her. Put it up if you get the chance (and if you like adult contemporary), it's excellent.

And yes, Reba and her husband knew EXACTLY who they were seeing. The fact that they were there with a guy from C/FO proves that...

At any rate, I hope she plays out more often.

On another note, I'm glad Macrossworld is here...I don't know anyone else who would appreciate the weirdness. Thanks guys!

That's pretty damn funny actually. What you should have asked is if it was her first time going to see Mari sing, or if it's a regular thing. It's sad Mari rejected her Macross popularity for so many years though, but it'd be nice if she'd play a character in a sequel some day.

No, I didn't get the Divine Miss West's autograph, although I probably should've...It would've been interesting to get a photo of them together as well. Missed opportunities, I suppose.

Yeah, missed opportunity, I must admit that I would have gotten her autograph without a doubt. I grew up with Robotech rather than Macross. :D Of course I would also get Mari's autograph since I like Macross' songs a lot.

And yes, Reba and her husband knew EXACTLY who they were seeing. The fact that they were there with a guy from C/FO proves that...

What's C/FO? I wonder if Reba has met Mari before? Was there a chance for you to actually meet Mari?

On another note, I'm glad Macrossworld is here...I don't know anyone else who would appreciate the weirdness. Thanks guys!

I think it's great being a Macross fan nowadays. What with all the new toys. And also, with voice actors like Mari whom you can meet/see perform live. I don't think there are many other anime fans out there who have opportunities like Macross fans (outside of Japan that is).

Ohmigosh, that's cruel. Don't bash Minmei!

Though, if I had to strike one of 'em with a wooden chair, you know it would be Mylene, because her "Mylene Jenius Sings Lynn-Minmay" album was sacreligious (except for her own song at the end!)

:o  Holy Crap Mari Iijima and Reba West in the same place?

very bizarre indeed

I met Reba West at the Robocon in 1995, where she performed her RT tunes live. I then met Mari Iijima at AX1999 and then saw her again at Genghis Cohen a few weeks later that year, where she performed at both events. I was firtunate enough to get home video footage of her Genghis Cohen performance where she performed "Do You Remember Love" and another Macross song I can't remember now. Both of them are very nice ladies. But meeting them at the *same* time at the same event would have been awesome. I definitely would have tried my hardest to get a pic taken together with the two of them.

"See? On the one hand, it's nice. On the other, I've made twenty f***ing albums, but it's Macross everyone remembers!"

Did she really say "f***ing" in front of the audience? :o

Ohmigosh, that's cruel. Don't bash Minmei!

Though, if I had to strike one of 'em with a wooden chair, you know it would be Mylene, because her "Mylene Jenius Sings Lynn-Minmay" album was sacreligious (except for her own song at the end!)

That wasn't really her own song, that was a Mari Iijima song that, in the Macross universe, Minmay wrote on the Megaroad. Don't know if Mari ever recorded it though.

"See? On the one hand, it's nice. On the other, I've made twenty f***ing albums, but it's Macross everyone remembers!"

She and Leonard Nimoy really need to start a support group for typecast celebrities... :p

Edited by Pat Payne

Oh lord, if you had known Reba was there before the performance, you really should have shouted "TO BE IN LOVE! WITH REBA WEST!" and pointed at Reba!

brrrr.

Well, can you imagine both Minmay/Minmei voice actors on stage singing anything together... the universe would have imploded. Of course, this is all fanboy talking, I'm too much of a nerd to have the cojones to call out something like that :blink:

The many faces of Minma(y/i)

mari01.jpg

VS

rebawest.jpg

And these are both late 90s pics so you know I'm not being biased with age.

YWAARRGH, I don't even want to imagine a picture of them together. I'd rip it in half and keep you know which half :-)

Edited by ComicKaze

Reba West isn't even her real name. It's just her stage name. My friend used to work with her, and she once left a message on my voice mail. She also used to work with the voice of Rick Hunter. And until just a few weeks ago, she was working with the guy who was the voice of Daniel in Transformers.