VF-22S Conversion Parts for 1/60 Yamato YF-21

PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Alright, I've said I will do it and I've already put the project in motion. I have the necessary supplies to start the prototypes and I'm going to put out the idea of my progress. I would like to hear a little about what fellow MWers think (no flaming please).

For the face of the VF-22... I am going to make it an attachment once the YF-21 has been converted into battroid, one could just attach it on maybe via clips or magnet(s). The reason being is that there isn't much clearance for the existing face of the YF-21 as it folds under the top part of the fuselage/battroid hood while converting it from battroid to gerwalk/fighter mode. I could just an entire remolding of the actual faceplate, but the VF-22's face protrudes out just a hair more and I know it will still clip the bottom stem of the antenna.

The canopy of the fighter will entirely replace the current one, so some disassembling will be required.

The bay doors for the VF-22 will most probably be a fastpack attachment like the current ones for the YF-21. Due to the force/stress that the existing bay doors themselves (not the fastpack attachments) undergo I feel this would result in a longer life span for the custom VF-22 bay doors (less cracking, chipping, etc.). I am hoping to make them sit a bit more flush when attached to the YF-21.

I will post up some progress pics sometime soon...

Max

***EDIT***

I appreciate any time, thoughts or constructive criticism. XD

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Once I get a look at the pictures I may just sign up for a set, will these be molded in the same color as the YF-21 is now or will painting be required? For the face I'm thinking magnets would be the best route and for the bay doors.... while I dont exactly like the idea of putting them on like fast packs you are right that it would last much longer.

Max! You can do eit! 1 x set for me. :-)

Interesting some of the points you've noted, looking forward to seeing pics! :D

For the face plate, we would have to remove the Omega 21's face to replace or? I'm all for the removable face plate

if it just slaps on top of the 21's face. Kinda like an armour plate he just slaps on during battroid-battroid battle. :D

Coolness!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Is there a deadline for orders and a estimate of the number of kits to be produced?

I know that home-made molds will not survive many castings and the amount of interest will impact actual production amounts.

This will be a great project. Best of luck.

there's something I don't understand quite well, the modified bay panels will be sorta snap on on the existing one like the FAST packs (sorry I don't have my YF-21 yet so it's hard for me to imagine), but will the FAST packs attach to the modified bay panels too??

or will you ignore this since the VF-22S is never seen with FAST packs??

one more question, will someone be making the decals to customize this as M&M's??

there's something I don't understand quite well, the modified bay panels will be sorta snap on on the existing one like the FAST packs (sorry I don't have my YF-21 yet so it's hard for me to imagine), but will the FAST packs attach to the modified bay panels too??

or will you ignore this since the VF-22S is never seen with FAST packs??

one more question, will someone be making the decals to customize this as M&M's??

Also, for anyone that knows, where does the -22 store the gunpods in fighter mode?

Okay to clarify about the bay doors. These will most likely be either snap on or magnet assisted panels in which the existing fast pack bay doors for the 21 will not attach to. The 22 bay doors will be replacing the 21 fast pack bay doors. Its up to you guys if you want to add on the fast packs for the rear tail fins (arm blades). Yes the VF-22 has never been seen with a fastpack set on (one can only imagine!).

If I'm not mistaken the VF-22 actually stores its gun pods in the bay doors; unlike the outside of the YF-21. I most likely will not be able to include that feature in the VF-22 conversion because there is quite a bit of anime magic involved for stowing the gun pods. I could modify the VF-22 bays for the feature, but then the bottom of the fighter mode will look quite awkward.

What I can do (which is definitely not lineart or anime correct) is to include the slots for attaching the gunpods onto the VF-22 bay covers themselves. Kind of like the actual (non-fast packed) 21 doors. These slots will either go on the inner-side or the outer-side of the VF-22 bay doors.

Hope this insight helps.

Max

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

What I can do (which is definitely not lineart or anime correct) is to include the slots for attaching the gunpods onto the VF-22 bay covers themselves. Kind of like the actual (non-fast packed) 21 doors. These slots will either go on the inner-side or the outer-side of the VF-22 bay doors.

Hope this insight helps.

Max

I like this idea as long as it can be done with the gunpods still clearing the ground when the fighter is resting on the landing gear.

edit: Just to be clear, since I've chimed in with input, you can count me in on at least one conversion kit.

Edited by Wicked Ace

nice. Also Max can you elaborate on how you will do the face plate? One thing i'd change for the Omega 1 21 is that the head sits too far back into the cowl anime magic or not it looks funny.

I still love it to bits but if your doing this how about an attach/snap in mask for the 22's head on top of the 21's? That way it would sit further out.

Also i'd love for you to be able to to the Gunpod holes for the VF-22 -

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

You know, I don't mind if the 22's belly plates have the slots for the gun pods, I think it was retarded to try and "anime magic" those gun pods to fit inside the VF-22. That was stretching it too far, even for anime, IMO. :|

-Kyp

Macross 7 stretching things too far? :blink:

@ruskii... Yea, attaching the VF-22S' faceplate to the existing YF-21's face was my original plan (read my starting post) because there would be no way to actually make the VF-22S' faceplate clear the bottom stem of the antenna inside the cowl. When transforming the 21/22 back to gerwalk/fighter one would have to remove the VF-22S' faceplate or it would get damaged. Instead of snapping/clipping on the faceplate I may end up using magnets for the faceplates if i feel the ones from eugimon's reference site would suit the situation (are strong enough -=X).

I guess I'll be incorporating the slots so the VF-22S' bays can hold the gunpods. XD

Around sometime this weekend I'll have prototype pics of maybe two different faceplates and the modified canopy. The reason for the two faceplates are due to the anime accurate one and the other is based off the VF-1 Riders 1/72 Hasegawa Battroid conversion kit. I kind of like them both for some reason. I'll make them both and post them up, so I can get some feedback.

Max

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX